Theme Select

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: Michelin Road 5 (Feedback Just on these please)  (Read 14226 times)

Offline Spiceboy

• XR Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Bury St Edmunds
Michelin Road 5 (Feedback Just on these please)
on: March 18, 2019, 07:03:43 AM
Hi Guys, I'm about to change tyres for a Euro trip and drawn to the Michelin road 5's.

I've trawled through this section for feedback/reviews and it skewed with everyones views on all sorts.

Feedback please just on the 5's for how they suit the XR for brisk riding, how long they last, how good in the wet etc....

Cheers in advance.
Cheers,
Charlie Spiceboy.

Offline smithy

• XR God
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Brisvegas.
Re: Michelin Road 5 (Feedback Just on these please)
Reply #1 on: March 18, 2019, 10:03:18 PM
Only have one on the rear and done maybe 2000km but no issues thus far. Have an RS on the front.

Smithy.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline Markymark11

• XR Master
  • Town: Basingstoke
Reply #2 on: March 19, 2019, 07:29:03 AM
Fitted a pair last week and they have transformed the bike. The Pirellis that it came with did 4500 miles and I had to force the bike to corner and hold a lot of pressure on the bars to hold a long sweeping turn. The road 5's just "fall" into the corner and hold a smooth line with no further input once the line is chosen. (Of course this may be because they are new but they just felt smoother in every way) I rode in the wet and the grip is brilliant and as every report had said "very confidence inspiring". I obviously can't comment on longevity but they definitely suit the bike.

Offline James55

• XR Member
  • Bike: BMWs1000XR
  • Town: Johnson City
Reply #3 on: March 19, 2019, 09:39:43 AM
I installed a pair and have about 1000 miles on them.  Used in both wet and dry conditions on paved roads.  Very pleased with them so far. Seem to have excellent wet grip, but I'm not pushing it in those conditions.  Great feel on dry pavement.  Can't comment on tread life, but have had excellent results with previous Michelin Road 3s.

Offline Gazk

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000xr SE Sport
  • Town: Leicester
Reply #4 on: March 28, 2019, 01:11:56 PM
Looks like I'm heading down the same route the 5's are £54 more than the 4's so it's almost a quarter more so a bit more thinking over the weekend before pressing the buy button!
After over thirty + years behind the bars, there's still lots to do and see.

Online Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
Reply #5 on: March 28, 2019, 02:11:45 PM
*Originally Posted by Markymark11 [+]
Fitted a pair last week and they have transformed the bike. The Pirellis that it came with did 4500 miles and I had to force the bike to corner and hold a lot of pressure on the bars to hold a long sweeping turn. The road 5's just "fall" into the corner and hold a smooth line with no further input once the line is chosen. (Of course this may be because they are new but they just felt smoother in every way) I rode in the wet and the grip is brilliant and as every report had said "very confidence inspiring". I obviously can't comment on longevity but they definitely suit the bike.

Finally bought a KTM GT last Saturday sure enough got the same old poxy Pirelli’s with the same feeling as you i’m Cheesed off with taking part worn Sports Touring tyres off and going Mich RS.

Online Winger

• XR God
Reply #6 on: March 28, 2019, 02:45:06 PM
*Originally Posted by Gazk [+]
Looks like I'm heading down the same route the 5's are £54 more than the 4's so it's almost a quarter more so a bit more thinking over the weekend before pressing the buy button!

Looks like you’ll have to start workings fridays again to pay the extra  :001:

Offline Gazk

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000xr SE Sport
  • Town: Leicester
Reply #7 on: March 28, 2019, 03:00:24 PM
Hell NO! :232:
I'll just not have that fancy coffee everyday  :016:
After over thirty + years behind the bars, there's still lots to do and see.

Online Winger

• XR God
Reply #8 on: March 28, 2019, 04:01:48 PM
I had a rush of blood to the head in the mid eighties and started a private pension with the Pru never expecting it to do any anything,man turns up last year and says no need to go work oh OK if you insist  :008:

Crossgates cafe tomorrow then home and watch MotoGP from Argentina  :002:

Offline smithy

• XR God
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Brisvegas.
Reply #9 on: March 28, 2019, 11:32:00 PM
*Originally Posted by Winger [+]
then home and watch MotoGP from Argentina  :002:

Ah...must remember to watch that, I quite enjoy watching those aliens ride bikes faster than anyone should......dragging elbows ffs... :027:

Smithy.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

dysfunctional