Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Michelin Road 5 (Feedback Just on these please)  (Read 4203 times)

Offline Mad paddy

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Adare co limeric
Re: Michelin Road 5 (Feedback Just on these please)
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2019, 09:37:22 AM »
Many Michelin tyres I have had in past have squared off very quickly then your prone to punctures easily
Is this the case with the new Michelin road 5s or not ?

Offline Bree

• XR God
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2019, 10:21:45 AM »
Hi and thanks for the info..  I am doing Northern Spain & Portugal in September. So looking forward to that.
Yep sorry for the  :450:....
Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.

Offline MelbXR

• XR Member
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2019, 09:00:19 AM »
*Originally Posted by Mad paddy [+]
Many Michelin tyres I have had in past have squared off very quickly then your prone to punctures easily
Is this the case with the new Michelin road 5s or not ?

I've never really had that problem with Michelins.

10,000ks on my current PR5 and no issues so far.

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2019, 03:39:49 PM »
Show me a bike tyre with 3000 miles on and i’ll Show you one that has already started to loose its shape and I loose interest hence why i’m Going back to Sports tyres i’ve Managed to get into central Spain and back on one the only difference being when looking at new tyres for my next trip i’m Taking off a scrap tyre as opposed to a part worn.

Offline bazzer

• XR Master
  • Town: Waterlooville
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2019, 04:21:05 PM »
*Originally Posted by Winger [+]
Show me a bike tyre with 3000 miles on and i’ll Show you one that has already started to loose its shape and I loose interest hence why i’m Going back to Sports tyres i’ve Managed to get into central Spain and back on one the only difference being when looking at new tyres for my next trip i’m Taking off a scrap tyre as opposed to a part worn.

I do have to agree with Winger on this one !!!

Edit to add at 6K miles even on a sports touring tyre I would be through the canvas and the tyre exploded. Or at least I would be on an 01 or T30, the ones I have tried in recent years.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 04:23:25 PM by bazzer »

Offline merlin

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Ilminster
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2019, 03:40:49 PM »
Set of Road 5 fitted on Friday, very impressed with handling & accuracy, with effortless steering input. Rode to work in the wet today, very grippy and confidence-inspiring. Noticeably better than Roadtec 01 on the XR in all conditions. They'll take some beating on this bike.

Offline Salem

• XR Member
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2019, 05:46:41 PM »
Rode with friends last year, and some had the R5. Where pleased with it, although they are slippery when new. I was on Conti Sport Attack, after Road Attack. Was about to order Road Attack again (Sport Attack doesn't live long enough for the planned trips), but overhere (Belgium/Netherlands/France) Michelin offers a cashback. So i've ordered a set of R5's for €225 with waste disposal etc included
I liked the Conti's. They also have a coating that much reduces the slippery when new, and it works. But I also like the R5 slick-when-dry concept

Offline nerqo

• XR Junior
  • Bike: S1000xr
  • Town: Sandefjord
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2019, 10:58:00 PM »
Road 5  my longterm experience, i drive mostly with some load and have my fishing gear with bags and 1/3 of trips had a pillion. tire pressure was 2.9 bars rear and 2.5 front.
milege 6500 km when i switched to new bcs of the good deal, still had at least 2k left in them so i gave them to my friend that drives a 600cc he will probly get at least 3k out of them. so the waer is great, my oem t30 only did 5 000 km they where stable and good, but on twisties they just lose grip to often. never had that problem on road 5.
wet no complaint never had any problems.
my coldest rides were in range morning 5- midday 10 degrees outside with no sun, never a problem didnt try to go balls hard on gass in the tweestys never had a tc or abs turn on.
they do feel like a sporttire, when riding with friends who are using sportbikes and tires, never a problem to follow them with this tire, even so on the rain and cold they kick ass hehe
where neutral feel and easy to turn with, even in corner easy to change the line.
u can just turn on cruse controll and let the bike go for miles.
planty to write, i hope this helps, still u never now until u try your self :)
GL and HF riding 

Offline Spiceboy

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Bury St Edmunds
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2019, 03:50:53 PM »
So a while back I started this thread for feedback on these tyres and having just done 1500 miles in and around the Black Forrest I have to say they are the best tyre I've used on 2 XR's.

Totally faultless in both dry and occasional super wet conditions (sadly), never gave me a hint of letting go. Beer and bullsh#t aside the boyz I ride with ain't slow and they were impressed - most ride Tuono's and we were on it a lot.

Sure they're not a pretty looking tyre but the grip is phenomenal and will be buying again if they only last even 4000 miles. Will keep you posted how well they perform as they wear.
Cheers,
Charlie Spiceboy.

Offline Markymark11

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2017 XR SE
  • Town: Basingstoke
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2019, 10:12:54 PM »
Just got back from the Pyranees and have now done 4000 miles on mine and they still have tons of wear left - I would expect at least 5k plus. They were faultless rain or dry around the mountains and hairpins. definitely now my tyre of choice for the XR. I may not be the fastest rider out there anymore but I love the feeling of security at all lean angles in all conditions.  :002: