Theme Select

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: Cam follower failure, ticking noise, poll  (Read 12356 times)

Offline Parmenion

• XR Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2020 S1000XR
  • Town: Thessaloniki
Cam follower failure, ticking noise, poll
on: March 19, 2019, 09:40:40 AM
On my second XR (2019 triple black)  after a month and 1800 Km, I got the dreaded ticking noise! My previous XR (2016 model in red) had absolutely no problems.
On last Friday on the way back from work I heard a soft ticking noise. The noise was very subtle at idle and was heard from 2 to 4.000 rpm, after that the wind noise covered it completely. Just short of a km from home I decided to drop by BM dealership for a check. Two technicians checked it (one rode it for more than 5 minutes)  but told me the noise was normal for this engine. So I used the bike on the weekend doing some 60 km around the city. The ticking became more evident so I asked a couple of friends to listen to it without telling them about the ticking. They noticed it too.
On Monday going to work, a half an hour ride, the ticking was there not letting me notice anything else. Looking at the oil level window I noticed a mud like color, so I called the tech in BM. He replied that I shouldn't start it and tow it to the dealership. So I did. This morning the bike was stripped. Both camshafts were scorched by damaged cam followers. BM central was informed and they prompted for new cam followers and new camshafts along with oil filter and oil change. The parts were ordered from Germany and by next Monday they should arrive in Greece. I was told that this happened to other engines too, and the fault is bad coating on the cam followers. There is a new batch of cam followers that have a more friction resistant coating that also helps damping the rocking motion. How many of you had this problem, and what did BM do for you?
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."
Mario Andretti

Online smithy

• XR God
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Brisvegas.
Re: Cam follower failure, ticking noise, poll
Reply #1 on: March 19, 2019, 09:58:39 PM
 My 17 XR has been noise free since fitting a manual cam chain tensioner....but that's unrelated to your issue. I feel for you mate.

Smithy.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline Quicken_ZA

• XR Member
  • Town: Roodepoort
Reply #2 on: March 27, 2019, 01:16:46 PM
*Originally Posted by Parmenion [+]
On my second XR (2019 triple black)  after a month and 1800 Km, I got the dreaded ticking noise! My previous XR (2016 model in red) had absolutely no problems.
On last Friday on the way back from work I heard a soft ticking noise. The noise was very subtle at idle and was heard from 2 to 4.000 rpm, after that the wind noise covered it completely. Just short of a km from home I decided to drop by BM dealership for a check. Two technicians checked it (one rode it for more than 5 minutes)  but told me the noise was normal for this engine. So I used the bike on the weekend doing some 60 km around the city. The ticking became more evident so I asked a couple of friends to listen to it without telling them about the ticking. They noticed it too.
On Monday going to work, a half an hour ride, the ticking was there not letting me notice anything else. Looking at the oil level window I noticed a mud like color, so I called the tech in BM. He replied that I shouldn't start it and tow it to the dealership. So I did. This morning the bike was stripped. Both camshafts were scorched by damaged cam followers. BM central was informed and they prompted for new cam followers and new camshafts along with oil filter and oil change. The parts were ordered from Germany and by next Monday they should arrive in Greece. I was told that this happened to other engines too, and the fault is bad coating on the cam followers. There is a new batch of cam followers that have a more friction resistant coating that also helps damping the rocking motion. How many of you had this problem, and what did BM do for you?

So I also just bought a 2017 model with only 3800km on the clock. Last week Friday I went to collect the bike, and Saturday morning the ticking started - mine however is audible from idle all the way through to the current 9000rpm limiter. I had the place I bought the bike from collect the bike from me to have it checked. They then took it to BMW who explained that it is the cam chain tensioner. Since the bike is literally a month out of warranty I now have to wait for BMW SA to confirm that these guys can fix the problem under warranty. I seriously hope the issue isn't as serious as yours.

Offline Bree

• XR God
  • Bike: S1000XR
Reply #3 on: March 27, 2019, 01:27:57 PM
*Originally Posted by Quicken_ZA [+]
So I also just bought a 2017 model with only 3800km on the clock. Last week Friday I went to collect the bike, and Saturday morning the ticking started - mine however is audible from idle all the way through to the current 9000rpm limiter. I had the place I bought the bike from collect the bike from me to have it checked. They then took it to BMW who explained that it is the cam chain tensioner. Since the bike is literally a month out of warranty I now have to wait for BMW SA to confirm that these guys can fix the problem under warranty. I seriously hope the issue isn't as serious as yours.

My only issue here is the fact that you can hear the noise from start up. Until the 9000 rpm limit. I have had the cam chain ticking noise at start up. But it only lasts for a few seconds, until the oil pressurises the plunger in the cam chain tensioner.
It should not continue as you describe. I changed mine and it has never been a problem since. Hope it works out okay for you please let us know how you get on....
Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.

Offline Markymark11

• XR Master
  • Town: Basingstoke
Reply #4 on: March 27, 2019, 02:23:05 PM
The ticking and rattling on mine has bugged me since I bought it . I find it one of the noisiest engines ever and have had 2 different BMW dealers listen and ride it and both say it is fine. They say that I have the latest Cam chain tensioner (manuf date 07 /17) and the ticking is normal, even though to me it's all I can hear. I just hope they are all correct and I am just paranoid. In which case I blame you lot and you tube for making me crazy  :008:

Offline st4gary

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: San Jose
Reply #5 on: March 27, 2019, 02:43:58 PM
I simply installed a manual tensioner and have been happy ever since.

http://www.southerncaliforniamotowerks.com/uploads/8/9/7/7/89777035/s-series_installation_guide.pdf

Sounds like a proper bike now.  2016 w/ 22k miles.

Online smithy

• XR God
Reply #6 on: March 27, 2019, 09:53:56 PM
*Originally Posted by st4gary [+]
I simply installed a manual tensioner and have been happy ever since.

http://www.southerncaliforniamotowerks.com/uploads/8/9/7/7/89777035/s-series_installation_guide.pdf

Sounds like a proper bike now.  2016 w/ 22k miles.

Yep, did the same and no more start-up rattles....if the ticking noise continues at higher rpm, I'd be a bit worried.

Smithy.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Online smithy

• XR God
Reply #7 on: March 27, 2019, 09:55:38 PM
*Originally Posted by Quicken_ZA [+]

If this bike has 3800km on it, why does it still have the 9k rpm "running-in" limiter still on it..??

Smithy.

Offline wildspeedy

• XR Member
  • Bike: xr 1000 2017
  • Town: Montreal
Reply #8 on: April 16, 2019, 03:49:21 PM
I have a 2017 Red XR and i bought it new from the dealership, and it started ticking at 500km.
It would tick pretty loud around 3500 rpm to 4000 especially in the traffic or in the city where the sound bounces off the surrounding buildings you could really notice it.
Told my dealership i was worried about it, they told me to take it in, they also noticed the ticking and they opened the motor and found nothing.They put a note in the computer on my file about it.
The saleman told me not to worry about it, and to ride it like i stole it, and if it breaks it will and if it doesn't it wont.
It been one year now since that, and everything is going fine, just did the oil change like 2 weeks ago and didn't see anything in the oil.Like others have said if it ticks in the entire Rev range well that would be scary.
So i keep and eye on it, but i don't loose sleep over it.

Offline Quicken_ZA

• XR Member
  • Town: Roodepoort
Reply #9 on: May 22, 2019, 02:34:43 PM
Yeah so on mine, the end result was a complete cam replacement because "the material used to make the cam was poor quality" and it wasn't opening and closing the exhaust valve properly. My bike was just out of warranty, but after quite a lengthy discussion with BMW SA all work was approved under warranty. Then, when I got the bike back the ticking noise was still audible - sent it back, they checked valve clearances, set the ECU, etc and it was good for a few days however ticking noise is back again as of yesterday and I can also hear it between 3000 and 4000rpm.

Spoke to the dealership again and they said they've checked everything and all should be fine and to be honest I don't think its serious. Just something to get used to.

Just out of curiosity - did any of you guys who experienced the ticking have an after market exhaust/decat done? Mine was perfectly fine until the aftermarket pipe was fitted. I have a sneaky suspicion it has something to do with exhaust valve opening/closing because of fitting an aftermarket can/decat.