Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Cam follower failure, ticking noise, poll  (Read 6168 times)

cobycobs and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline wildspeedy

• XR Member
  • Bike: xr 1000 2017
  • Town: Montreal
Re: Cam follower failure, ticking noise, poll
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2019, 03:34:17 PM »
Well in my case it is bone stock, and started ticking at the 500 km mark one week out of the dealership doors.

Offline advr6

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Burlington
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2019, 04:58:13 PM »
I have a 2017 with an Akra exhaust and 15K on it.  Haven't noticed any ticking so far...

Offline smithy

• XR God
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Brisvegas.
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2019, 01:15:02 AM »
*Originally Posted by Quicken_ZA [+]
Just out of curiosity - did any of you guys who experienced the ticking have an after market exhaust/decat done? Mine was perfectly fine until the aftermarket pipe was fitted. I have a sneaky suspicion it has something to do with exhaust valve opening/closing because of fitting an aftermarket can/decat.

Mine has full Arrow headers, Rapid Bike-Evo fuel module and Delkevic end can, they've been on for ~7k km....no ticking here either.
Fitting an aftermarket muffler will have no effect of the exhaust valve or it's operation, the valve is part of the stock headers.

Smithy.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 01:18:37 AM by smithy »
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2019, 07:38:56 AM »
Similar to Smithy with Akra/Mivv/PC but it is a noisey motor when arriving home from NI on Sunday night with what can only be described  as a hung ho ride the motor sounded like a bag of spanner’s at tick over.

Offline JTL

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: England
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2019, 08:58:40 AM »
*Originally Posted by Winger [+]
but it is a noisey motor when arriving home from NI on Sunday night with what can only be described  as a hung ho ride the motor sounded like a bag of spanner’s at tick over.
:0461:
It is a noisy motor, probably the worst I've owned.
Mine only rattles at start up until the cam chain adjuster is pressurized.

Offline goediman

• XR Junior
  • Bike: BMW HP4
  • Town: Melle
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2019, 08:45:20 PM »
*Originally Posted by wildspeedy [+]
Well in my case it is bone stock, and started ticking at the 500 km mark one week out of the dealership doors.
You're not the only one...a friend of me had the same problem after the same milage (500km) here in Belgium! A valve -problem and the motor is prepared under guarantee of corse...

Offline Biggen

• XR Junior
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2019, 07:19:04 PM »
*Originally Posted by Quicken_ZA [+]
So I also just bought a 2017 model with only 3800km on the clock. Last week Friday I went to collect the bike, and Saturday morning the ticking started - mine however is audible from idle all the way through to the current 9000rpm limiter. I had the place I bought the bike from collect the bike from me to have it checked. They then took it to BMW who explained that it is the cam chain tensioner. Since the bike is literally a month out of warranty I now have to wait for BMW SA to confirm that these guys can fix the problem under warranty. I seriously hope the issue isn't as serious as yours.
I have an S1000xr 2018 model
After 12000 miles I had the camshaft replaced
At 14000 the bike stopped on the M3 at 1:00 in the morning and had to call recovery. They replaced the exhaust and right mirror.
After they replaced the camshaft the bike vibrates especially at higher speeds. Went back to dealer (Vines) they said it's normal (until they replaced the camshaft I didn't had any issues). Booked next week with Bahnstormer, if they say it's normal I will probably sell it. So disappointed
Has anyone had any similar issues?

Online Bree

• XR God
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2019, 07:56:57 PM »
Yep the camshaft has been a problem on a limited amount of bikes. There is a thread on here covering this manufacturing problem.
But out of interest what had the Exhaust & Mirror to do with it breaking down or have I just mis -read your meaning. The one thing that always winds me up, is the stock answer " Oh they all do that " that is totally unacceptable. And I hope you get a better response from bahnstormer if you do, I would really stick it to Vines and Motorrad uk.
Please let us know how it turns out. As it a massive shame as the bike is really a great bit of kit and you were unlucky to be put in this situation.........................
Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.

Offline Biggen

• XR Junior
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2019, 08:03:03 PM »
*Originally Posted by Bree [+]
Yep the camshaft has been a problem on a limited amount of bikes. There is a thread on here covering this manufacturing problem.
But out of interest what had the Exhaust & Mirror to do with it breaking down or have I just mis -read your meaning. The one thing that always winds me up, is the stock answer " Oh they all do that " that is totally unacceptable. And I hope you get a better response from bahnstormer if you do, I would really stick it to Vines and Motorrad uk.
Please let us know how it turns out. As it a massive shame as the bike is really a great bit of kit and you were unlucky to be put in this situation.........................
The exhaust has a valve inside that opens and closes. It was stuck sooo
The mirror apparently was to much vibrations and it was stuck from the frame. I'm not english so I'm not that good at explaining......

Online Bree

• XR God
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2019, 08:17:22 PM »
No problem mate, I fully understand the exhaust thing now....  And your English is as good as mine......Good luck with the bike.......:041:
Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.

dysfunctional