Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Cam follower failure, ticking noise, poll  (Read 6172 times)

cobycobs and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline bazzer

  • XR Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 706
  • Country: gb
  • Town: Waterlooville
Re: Cam follower failure, ticking noise, poll
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2019, 07:31:18 AM »
I have the mirror unstuck from the frame problem too, rattles like buggery :-) I only ever notice it on the odd occasion I move the bike around somewhere without ear plugs though. Then I think what on earth is that and then I remember.

Is this the most unreliable bike I have ever owned, YES
Have I put more miles on this bike than any other, YES
Would I buy another one . YES :-D

 

Offline Heli00

  • XR Junior
  • *
  • Posts: 5
  • Country: ca
Re: Cam follower failure, ticking noise, poll
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2019, 02:03:44 AM »
What a bummer. Got a 2019 XR triple black. The thing went tits up at 800kms, camshaft issue. Fixed under warranty. Will see how long it will last now.

Traded a K1300S anniversary towards it. Love the XR, but I now question its reliability.
I also have a 2009 GS, from new and never had any issues with it.

I will trade the XR in before warranty expires, but until then, I plan to ride the wheels off it.

By the way, I’ve been reading around on this forum and people seem to believe there are just a few incidents. Let me say, there are lots of them on this side of the pond, on the XR, R and RR combined. This has been going on since this motor’s inception. Makes you wonder, why hasn’t this issue been fixed by now.   

Anyway, I’m disappointed with this experience. Not sure what I’m going to get in 2 or 3 years from now. I’ll always have a GS, but I also want a comfy sport bike and the XR fits the bill so well, oh well.




Offline Heli00

  • XR Junior
  • *
  • Posts: 5
  • Country: ca
Re: Cam follower failure, ticking noise, poll
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2019, 12:08:31 PM »
One question for the guys that have been lucky without a camshaft failure.

Do you hear a clicking noise at idle and up to 4000rpm? Just like loud valves.

After my bike was fixed, it was quiet for the first 200kms, now 1000kms after the repair I can hear the ticking noise at idle and up to about 4000rpm, after that the wind noise and exhaust masks up any engine noises.
I wonder if it is slowly deteriorating.

As a note, before the camshaft was replaced, i could hear the ticking throughout the rev range, all the way to 9000rpm.

Thanks,

« Last Edit: August 24, 2019, 12:13:25 PM by Heli00 »

Offline Bree

  • XR God
  • *****
  • Posts: 2102
  • Country: gb
  • Bike: S1000XR
Re: Cam follower failure, ticking noise, poll
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2019, 04:29:54 PM »
Although this engine is not the quietest I have ever owned, I cannot detect a ticking noise at tickover or above. Just sounds a bit less than a Ducati at Idle............
Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.

Offline jfnz

  • XR Member
  • **
  • Posts: 73
  • Country: nz
  • Bike: 2019 BMW S1000XR
Re: Cam follower failure, ticking noise, poll
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2019, 01:01:02 AM »
*Originally Posted by Heli00 [+]
One question for the guys that have been lucky without a camshaft failure.

Do you hear a clicking noise at idle and up to 4000rpm? Just like loud valves.

After my bike was fixed, it was quiet for the first 200kms, now 1000kms after the repair I can hear the ticking noise at idle and up to about 4000rpm, after that the wind noise and exhaust masks up any engine noises.
I wonder if it is slowly deteriorating.

As a note, before the camshaft was replaced, i could hear the ticking throughout the rev range, all the way to 9000rpm.

Thanks,

I have a 2019 triple black and have becoming increasingly concerned with how loud the engine is. I have around 2000km on it now and just like you're describing the ticking from idle through ~4000rpm is extremely noticeable. I'm not sure if the wind noise overwhelms it at speeds above this range or if it quietens afterward but I can hear it as clear as day with earplugs in. It's so loud it's the prominent noise unless you pin the throttle open and the induction sound replaces it.

It's a weird feeling coming from a bike that had almost zero noise and vibration and the only real sound the bike made was exhaust noise (Yamaha MT09). I'm not really sure what to think though I'm starting to feel like I should get it checked with all the reports of dodgy brand new models. Slightly worrying to say the least.

Offline Heli00

  • XR Junior
  • *
  • Posts: 5
  • Country: ca
Re: Cam follower failure, ticking noise, poll
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2019, 02:39:17 PM »
*Originally Posted by jfnz [+]
I have a 2019 triple black and have becoming increasingly concerned with how loud the engine is. I have around 2000km on it now and just like you're describing the ticking from idle through ~4000rpm is extremely noticeable. I'm not sure if the wind noise overwhelms it at speeds above this range or if it quietens afterward but I can hear it as clear as day with earplugs in. It's so loud it's the prominent noise unless you pin the throttle open and the induction sound replaces it.

It's a weird feeling coming from a bike that had almost zero noise and vibration and the only real sound the bike made was exhaust noise (Yamaha MT09). I'm not really sure what to think though I'm starting to feel like I should get it checked with all the reports of dodgy brand new models. Slightly worrying to say the least.

I would check it, just to see what the mechanic says.

I was reading somewhere that if the clicking doesn’t go all the way up the rev range, it’s normal, BUT then you get people that says they have no clicking noise anywhere, like above, but the engine is just noisy. What I would like to know, is what does it mean, the engine is noisy? Loud valve ticking noise? I would like to hear other motors running at idle and a bit up the rev range, but stationary, so I can here what the noises are. From my experience, when the camshaft failure happened on my bike, it sounded exactly as loud valves, but all across the rev range, not just at lower rpm. Trust me, if that happens, you will hear it over the exhaust noise, while riding. What I’d like to know for sure, is if the clicking at lower rpm is normal. I don’t think it is normal and I believe it will get worse over time. There is no pattern at what milage it fails, some at under 1000 km and other at tens of thousands, all over the place.
If there would be something else I would replace the xr with, I would trade it in tomorrow. But I love the bike so much. One thing for sure, i won’t keep it once the warranty is over. BMW screwed this up major league, did I mentioned how annoyed I am?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2019, 02:41:06 PM by Heli00 »

Offline Heli00

  • XR Junior
  • *
  • Posts: 5
  • Country: ca
Re: Cam follower failure, ticking noise, poll
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2019, 03:52:41 PM »
*Originally Posted by Bree [+]
Although this engine is not the quietest I have ever owned, I cannot detect a ticking noise at tickover or above. Just sounds a bit less than a Ducati at Idle............

Bree, you don’t hear the valves taping/clicking noise at idle?

If not too much to ask, could you make a video with the sound of the engine at idle and maybe up to 4000rpm, but mostly idle at a stand still, not riding the bike?

Thanks,
« Last Edit: August 25, 2019, 03:59:24 PM by Heli00 »

Offline Bree

  • XR God
  • *****
  • Posts: 2102
  • Country: gb
  • Bike: S1000XR
Re: Cam follower failure, ticking noise, poll
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2019, 04:55:23 PM »
Yep I will video it on the phone and try to post it.......
Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.

Offline Heli00

  • XR Junior
  • *
  • Posts: 5
  • Country: ca
Re: Cam follower failure, ticking noise, poll
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2019, 05:08:53 PM »
*Originally Posted by Bree [+]
Yep I will video it on the phone and try to post it.......

Awesome, thanks!

Offline Bree

  • XR God
  • *****
  • Posts: 2102
  • Country: gb
  • Bike: S1000XR
Re: Cam follower failure, ticking noise, poll
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2019, 06:45:58 PM »
*Originally Posted by Heli00 [+]
Awesome, thanks!


Well its extremely frustrating but the site will not allow me to add this video   :027: :027:  I have tried several various ways but no luck....
Maybe it will go direct via an email address...........................................


Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.

 



dysfunctional