Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Cam follower failure, ticking noise, poll  (Read 4830 times)

Offline jfnz

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2019 BMW S1000XR
Re: Cam follower failure, ticking noise, poll
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2019, 01:37:32 AM »
*Originally Posted by Bree [+]

Well its extremely frustrating but the site will not allow me to add this video   :027: :027:  I have tried several various ways but no luck....
Maybe it will go direct via an email address...........................................

Upload it to YouTube. Mark the video as "Unlisted" and post the link here. Use the "[ youtube] url [ /youtube]" bbcode if you're feeling super-fancy.

Offline Bree

• XR God
  • Bike: S1000XR
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2019, 09:54:58 AM »
 :005: :005:    :173: :173:  Gulp I will give it a try...............................:041:
Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.

Offline dbvXR

• XR Junior
  • Town: Boston
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2019, 02:13:39 PM »
Ok my first post and wish I didn't have to share this but I have a 2019 XR bought a month ago.
At 400 miles a lot of engine noise. Dealer said bring in for break-in service and they checked it the noise. They said it was normal. After 200 more miles (650 total) I noticed major loss of power at full open throttle so anything 5000 RPM or higher the bike just wouldn't get going. I called the dealer again and said there is something significantly wrong. They said bring it in (now with 900 miles on it). They checked it, rode it and said everything was fine. I insisted that they take it for a real ride and miraculously they felt what I described and even rode the demo XR to compare and it was obvious. They contacted BMW, performed some measurements and the cause is "Cam Shaft Out Of Specification" requiring new cams and lots of other parts. I have escalated to BMW North America. I am not excited about taking this bike back and hope they will work with me.
With all of the information about the cams on this bike out there, BMW dealer seems to dismiss this topic pretty quickly or seems to be in the dark about it.

Offline Bree

• XR God
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2019, 02:35:11 PM »
Definitely appears to be more problems on bikes in North America. It is fairly well known here in Europe that a small percentage of bikes had a cam manufacturing problem. Relating to or very similar to your problems.
I would have to assume that it would be fully covered under warranty. Although it does not instill a lot of confidence in you because of these problems, once your bike is back to normal I am sure you will fall in love with it.
Please keep us informed of the outcome....   

Offline dbvXR

• XR Junior
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2019, 03:31:51 PM »
Thanks. My main concern is how will I know bike is 100% back in spec? It would just be feel that I can go by but being so new I feel like I am giving something back. It is under warranty.
Should I also be concerned about cam debris in engine causing more problems?

Offline Bree

• XR God
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2019, 04:25:02 PM »
I would imagine that they would drain the oil from the bike. But If I was you I would get them to confirm this. Also after any work has been undertaken I would also ask them to confirm that the Items that have been replaced will be covered under warranty for the full warranty period, starting from the date the work was completed....                         :041:

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2019, 06:14:20 PM »
*Originally Posted by dbvXR [+]
With all of the information about the cams on this bike out there, BMW dealer seems to dismiss this topic pretty quickly or seems to be in the dark about it.

That is classic dealer stance the world over I had a similar situation with another bike some years I wasn’t happy with having it fixed I P/X’d changed it at the same dealer yes it cost me money(not a lot) but saved me no end of grief.

Offline jfnz

• XR Member
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2019, 01:21:31 AM »
Ok my first post and wish I didn't have to share this but I have a 2019 XR bought a month ago.
At 400 miles a lot of engine noise. Dealer said bring in for break-in service and they checked it the noise. They said it was normal. After 200 more miles (650 total) I noticed major loss of power at full open throttle so anything 5000 RPM or higher the bike just wouldn't get going. I called the dealer again and said there is something significantly wrong. They said bring it in (now with 900 miles on it). They checked it, rode it and said everything was fine. I insisted that they take it for a real ride and miraculously they felt what I described and even rode the demo XR to compare and it was obvious. They contacted BMW, performed some measurements and the cause is "Cam Shaft Out Of Specification" requiring new cams and lots of other parts. I have escalated to BMW North America. I am not excited about taking this bike back and hope they will work with me.

Thanks for sharing this. Can you elaborate on just how down on power the bike felt above 5k RPM?

Offline dbvXR

• XR Junior
« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2019, 02:39:14 AM »
50% power

Offline jfnz

• XR Member
« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2019, 05:54:08 AM »

How are you getting on with your repairs? Any progress?

The noise on my bike became very loud over the last couple hundred KM. It's in the shop at the moment, I'm waiting to hear back.

dysfunctional