Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Cam follower failure, ticking noise, poll  (Read 6167 times)

cobycobs and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline dbvXR

• XR Junior
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Boston
Re: Cam follower failure, ticking noise, poll
« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2019, 01:07:44 PM »
Cams replaced and bike runs much better. Since this was a factory problem from day 1 I have an open case with BMW. I would say if your problem is same as mine it would have surfaced in less than 500 miles. Cam out of spec causing valves to not fully open.

Online Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2019, 03:08:11 PM »
If it the cam profile was just out of spec then within reason fair enough but i’d Have wanted to look at the offending items to make sure it wasn’t the cam hardening at fault.

Offline Missile

• XR Junior
  • Town: Eureka Springs
« Reply #42 on: September 30, 2019, 03:03:57 AM »
Found this in my oil drain plug today. 2016 with 8500 miles. Last oil change just a few months and at about 6000 miles. Haven’t noticed any noises out of the ordinary.
I’ve never seen these rod-like bits in oil before and I’ve been doing my own wrenching for many years.
Anyone seen this or similar before?

Offline smithy

• XR God
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Brisvegas.
« Reply #43 on: September 30, 2019, 03:33:00 AM »
*Originally Posted by Missile [+]
Found this in my oil drain plug today. 2016 with 8500 miles. Last oil change just a few months and at about 6000 miles. Haven’t noticed any noises out of the ordinary.
I’ve never seen these rod-like bits in oil before and I’ve been doing my own wrenching for many years.
Anyone seen this or similar before?

Hmmm...I'd be a tad worried about that.. :033:

Smithy.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Online Bree

• XR God
« Reply #44 on: September 30, 2019, 08:52:25 AM »
Have found small filings before but not concerned about that. But your bits look a bit to substantial to ignore. As Smithy says looks like a visit to the dealer for further information......... 

They do look a bit like parts from a roller bearing ???
« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 08:53:49 AM by Bree »
Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.

Offline jfnz

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2019 BMW S1000XR
« Reply #45 on: October 01, 2019, 03:27:55 AM »
Heard back from the dealer today, confirmed my bike is poked. They're ordering replacement rockers, inlet and exhaust cams.

ETA is half a week for warranty repair approvals, parts are 3 weeks away on a boat, then another one week to fit. Already been 2.5 weeks to diagnose.

Really disappointing to say the least. Here's hoping there's no long-term damage. So weird it cropped up after 2,400km whereas other have had theirs go instantly.

EDIT: I should just add for anyone stumbling upon this thread in future and reading these posts -- if you have similar issues you will definitely notice the noise becoming more pronounced over time. As it gets worse and worse you will hear nothing but the noise and it will also coincide with a noticeable reduction in power. If you have a similar suspicion and it is becoming more audible I would encourage you to get it in sooner rather than later. Don't wait until it's really bad as nobody really knows what running the bike in this way does to the engine long-term (I suspect even BMW themselves).
« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 04:06:19 AM by jfnz »

Online Bree

• XR God
« Reply #46 on: October 01, 2019, 01:17:37 PM »
Glad you are getting it sorted, just a massive faff about and loss of the bike........Keep us informed of the outcome...................:041:
Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.

Online Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #47 on: October 01, 2019, 02:14:27 PM »
The next part of this thread will be when folks are well out of warranty and what kind of cost that will involve.

Offline wildspeedy

• XR Member
  • Bike: xr 1000 2017
  • Town: Montreal
« Reply #48 on: October 03, 2019, 07:26:09 PM »
In the photo above it looks like pins from roller bearings.
Very odd.

Offline Parmenion

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000xr
« Reply #49 on: October 04, 2019, 07:47:43 PM »
*Originally Posted by Winger [+]
The next part of this thread will be when folks are well out of warranty and what kind of cost that will involve.
I started the thread and I am posting the invoice (from the dealer to BMW since it was covered by warranty). If it happened  out  of warranty expect higher prices! Also there is no VAT which would be +24% for customers.  Prices are in €

« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 07:51:21 PM by Parmenion »

dysfunctional