Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Sharing routes from Nav VI to non BMW / Garmin devices  (Read 192 times)

Offline wilbert

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2018 XR Sport SE
  • Town: Lancashire
Sharing routes from Nav VI to non BMW / Garmin devices
« on: March 25, 2019, 01:14:59 AM »
On our annual Easter trip I have been given the job of leading a group of about 12 riders from Lancashire to Berwick upon Tweed. I have done a great route which is just over 200 miles and takes in some top roads and has a great pub stop too. My question is can I send the route from my Nav VI to my laptop to create a GPX file and then share it with others by email  who mainly have TomTom satnavs? or can I use Bluetooth to send it to them? Everything I have found on Google only relates to Garmin products is that just because they don't want to promote other manufacturers or is it not possible to "pair up" with other makes?

Online SimonUK

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR,S1000R
  • Town: Upstate, SC
Re: Sharing routes from Nav VI to non BMW / Garmin devices
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2019, 02:39:58 AM »
AFAIK, if you send it as a .gpx file this is a generic gps/mapping file format, so you should be good to go.

form google of '.gpx file'
"A GPX file is a GPS data saved in the GPS Exchange format, an open standard that can be freely used by GPS programs. It contains longitude and latitude location data, which includes waypoints, routes, and tracks."

Offline JohnnyBeGood

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2019, 07:17:15 AM »
Big problems ahead for you.
Routes will almost always change in other devices, even from same brands, depending on different map(versions), calculating options and more.

Best is to make a track from your route, then export as GPX file and share this.
Share the locations where you plan to stop for eating/drinking/smoking/photo's with their ETA separately.

In my opinion a group of twelve is a pain in the ass to keep them together, maybe even dangerous.
But hey, hope all works well and you have lots of fun!

Online Bree

• XR God
  • Bike: S1000XR
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2019, 12:48:04 PM »
I have had a gpx route sent to me via the computer that had been downloaded from a Garmin device. I would have thought that as a GPX file it should copy onto Tom Tom devices.  ????
Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.

dysfunctional