Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Coolant Leak??  (Read 1385 times)

Offline Wonger

• XR Member
  • Bike: '18 S1000XR
  • Town: Fayetteville, GA
Re: Coolant Leak??
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2019, 04:21:52 PM »
I'm on my second waterpump and this one is also weeping from the blowout plug on the bottom and the coolant level was at the minimum line while hot. I added distilled water up to the full line before a 300 mile ride. Some came out the overflow tube, but I'm also getting a consistent drip from the pump. Look at the exhaust and below your waterpump for remains of blue coolant down there. My last pump was replaced because it was oil dripping from the pump. Not sure they'll replace this one yet due to only some coolant dripping, but it is a very common problem with this engine on all the S bikes. I'd upload some pics, but I don't feel like screwing around with the convoluted gallery set up here.

Online SimonUK

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR,S1000R
  • Town: Upstate, SC
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2019, 05:33:59 PM »
*Originally Posted by Wonger [+]
I'm on my second waterpump and this one is also weeping from the blowout plug on the bottom and the coolant level was at the minimum line while hot. I added distilled water up to the full line before a 300 mile ride. Some came out the overflow tube, but I'm also getting a consistent drip from the pump. Look at the exhaust and below your waterpump for remains of blue coolant down there. My last pump was replaced because it was oil dripping from the pump. Not sure they'll replace this one yet due to only some coolant dripping, but it is a very common problem with this engine on all the S bikes. I'd upload some pics, but I don't feel like screwing around with the convoluted gallery set up here.

Interesting, I had my first water pump replaced because it was weeping coolant, the 2nd was replaced due to oil seeping. The one on now seems to be going strong.

Offline otrp

• XR Master
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2019, 07:37:30 PM »
Mine has no signs of leakage.

I got rid of my Versys 1000 because of the water pump issue. It was replaced twice and still leaked.

I got an XR for a loner and that was it.   :001:
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 07:38:09 PM by otrp »

Offline PaulS1000XR

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Worcester, UK
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2019, 09:22:08 AM »
Beginning to look like the loss of coolant was nothing more than air in the system which after 1200 miles now seems to have been released. Probably bad filling of the coolant by BMW. Have been monitoring for the last 300 miles and loss is now virtually nil with the cold level stabilised between the MAX and half way level. have noticed that the level does increase by around 10mm from the cold level when the engine is hot.  :305:
PSH

Online Bree

• XR God
  • Bike: S1000XR
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2019, 10:16:56 AM »
Thanks for the info and its good that your mind is now at rest. Again thanks for letting us know the outcome... :062:
Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.

Offline XRRICH

• XR Junior
  • Bike: S1000 XR SE Spor
  • Town: UK
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2019, 01:55:58 PM »
Hi Everyone,
apologies for hijacking the thread,

I am fairly new to XR Ownership. my 2018 XR coolant is on the min line, the dealer told me to check the level hot also to see if its different.  I've just come back from a 3K mile tour so was checking over everything. I've spoken to the dealer who have said its rare for a bike to need a coolant top up in between services. The bike had its 800 mile running in service in April and has now covered 5300 miles.

I am going to get them to check the coolant system for leaks, as they have offered as the bikes under warranty.

please forgive the stupid question, If I do need to top up in future,  I can see the expansion bottle is behind the right hand fairing, how does everyone access it and top up, do I fill from the radiator cap? Do I need to remove any fairing panels etc to access as the manual is worse than useless for guidance. I assume a funnel of some kind and maybe some plastic tubing is needed?

thank you

Rich :)

Offline PaulS1000XR

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Worcester, UK
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2019, 04:50:11 PM »
My new bike was the same - level in the reservoir kept dropping despite a few top ups. Had the dealer check for leaks and they found none. After about 1k miles and several top ups the level in the reservoir no longer fell. Likely it was some air in the cooling system. If you fill the reservoir up to the max level likely the level will drop a little and then remain at about the 3/4 level between max & min so probably not worth filling above this level. The reality is when you top up you only actually use a relatively small amount of coolant. The level is checked when the coolant is cold.  :305:
PSH

Online SimonUK

• XR Pro
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2019, 06:36:37 PM »
Check when cold(it's an expansion tank). the difference between min and max is only 100ml.

Offline grizzle

• XR Pro
  • Bike: HP Motorsport
  • Town: North Wales
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2019, 12:31:12 AM »
In relation to filling the awkward expansion tank.....

I cut a 12 inch piece off my hozelock hose, cut about an inch at one end at 45 degrees so it's pointed and will fit inside the tank, then stick a little funnel in the uncut end and pour, no spills

Online SimonUK

• XR Pro
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2019, 01:33:49 AM »
I use a 100ml syringe and the overflow pipe(sits on top of the radiator somewhere).