Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Coolant Leak??  (Read 784 times)

Offline Wonger

• XR Member
  • Bike: '18 S1000XR
  • Town: Fayetteville, GA
Re: Coolant Leak??
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2019, 04:21:52 PM »
I'm on my second waterpump and this one is also weeping from the blowout plug on the bottom and the coolant level was at the minimum line while hot. I added distilled water up to the full line before a 300 mile ride. Some came out the overflow tube, but I'm also getting a consistent drip from the pump. Look at the exhaust and below your waterpump for remains of blue coolant down there. My last pump was replaced because it was oil dripping from the pump. Not sure they'll replace this one yet due to only some coolant dripping, but it is a very common problem with this engine on all the S bikes. I'd upload some pics, but I don't feel like screwing around with the convoluted gallery set up here.

Offline SimonUK

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR,S1000R
  • Town: Upstate, SC
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2019, 05:33:59 PM »
*Originally Posted by Wonger [+]
I'm on my second waterpump and this one is also weeping from the blowout plug on the bottom and the coolant level was at the minimum line while hot. I added distilled water up to the full line before a 300 mile ride. Some came out the overflow tube, but I'm also getting a consistent drip from the pump. Look at the exhaust and below your waterpump for remains of blue coolant down there. My last pump was replaced because it was oil dripping from the pump. Not sure they'll replace this one yet due to only some coolant dripping, but it is a very common problem with this engine on all the S bikes. I'd upload some pics, but I don't feel like screwing around with the convoluted gallery set up here.

Interesting, I had my first water pump replaced because it was weeping coolant, the 2nd was replaced due to oil seeping. The one on now seems to be going strong.

Offline otrp

• XR Master
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2019, 07:37:30 PM »
Mine has no signs of leakage.

I got rid of my Versys 1000 because of the water pump issue. It was replaced twice and still leaked.

I got an XR for a loner and that was it.   :001:
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 07:38:09 PM by otrp »

Offline PaulS1000XR

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Worcester, UK
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2019, 09:22:08 AM »
Beginning to look like the loss of coolant was nothing more than air in the system which after 1200 miles now seems to have been released. Probably bad filling of the coolant by BMW. Have been monitoring for the last 300 miles and loss is now virtually nil with the cold level stabilised between the MAX and half way level. have noticed that the level does increase by around 10mm from the cold level when the engine is hot.  :305:
PSH

Offline Bree

• XR God
  • Bike: S1000XR
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2019, 10:16:56 AM »
Thanks for the info and its good that your mind is now at rest. Again thanks for letting us know the outcome... :062:
Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.

dysfunctional