Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Rear brake wires  (Read 285 times)

Online PTPan

• XR Member
Rear brake wires
« on: April 13, 2019, 11:22:01 AM »
I want to add a brake flasher unit, but am not sure where the wires for the brake come out. Anyone got a pic?

Offline philbuck

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Cheshire
Re: Rear brake wires
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2019, 12:54:41 PM »
I believe that some of the XR's have a brake flasher in there somewhere already, it just needs activating (that could be bollox I've been told though!)

BUT....
..........the rear lights are canbus and PWM (pulse width modulation) to reduce wires, so I'd be very loathed to go tampering with them. They combine rear red light with brake light, ie the rear red is on all the time at reduced brightness, and then upon braking, the PWM kicks out and they go to full brightness (ie, a steady 12v). Be carefull what you do

Online SimonUK

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR,S1000R
  • Town: Upstate, SC
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2019, 02:07:57 PM »
If you look under the passenger seat on the right-hand side of the bike(throttle), almost next to the latching mechanism there is a plug(with 5 wires I believe) that goes down to the tail light/indicators.

as far as I remember, BUT CHECK BEFORE you do anything.
brown - ground
grey - tail
grey/red stripe - brake
blue - right signal
blue/red stripe - left signal

Online advr6

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Burlington
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2019, 12:53:34 AM »
It's expensive for just a brake light solution but if you plan on adding driving lights as well you may want to consider a Denali CANsmart.  No wire cutting required (all plug and play) and you can configure dynamic brake light activation as well if you want...i.e. if you close the throttle and decelerate as a result of engine braking the brake lights will come on as well at whatever threshold you set.

Offline GeekDroid

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Coatesville PA
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2019, 04:24:55 PM »
Here's a plug and play solution that doesn't require any cutting or guessing:

http://www.vizi-tec.com/supabrake-3-bmw/

Offline JTL

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: England
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2019, 08:56:02 AM »
The general advice is not to cut into the rear light wiring.  From memory, any additional load and/or changes will throw up an error on the dash.
It's a two wire system for tail and brake light.

The CANbus controllers from Denali or Hex are the way to go, but as advr6 points out it's an expensive option for just a brake light.

The Hex ezCAN is plug and play and configurable via a PC.  I assume the Denali is the same.

dysfunctional