Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Ergonomics  (Read 1982 times)

Offline sipaldi

• XR Member
  • Bike: SPORT SE HP
Ergonomics
« on: April 23, 2019, 09:50:32 AM »
 Hi All,
            Just sold my Ducati and am looking to purchase a S1000XR.

I had a test ride last week and found the pegs quite high and the seat pretty tough.
            I am 6ft 5" and am struggling to find lowered pegs to suit the bike other than the vario type which would mean loosing the standard rubber foot pegs (had them on my Ducati and they made a huge difference).  I found MV Warping 907921 but they are expensive. Any other options?

Also, I am planning to buy the HP high seat circa £330. Anyone have one? Are they worth the money for the comfort?

I also found the wind noise pretty bad even with the screen up. It was that turbulent for me I could not hear my Interphone headset.  Probably also need a new screen with an aerofoil?

I am looking at the XR as I wish to have the sports bike power as well as the two up touring
capability.  Yes the GS would probably fir me better but I feel I am a few years away from a washing machine.  :008:

Thanks,
                   Phil

Offline Speedy

• XR Pro
  • Town: Atlanta
Re: Ergonomics
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2019, 01:10:05 PM »
Hi Phil,

Welcome!

I can only speak to the BMW HP high seat.  It is a great seat, more comfortable than the stocker for sure.  It offers a flatter seating area so less slide toward the tank which was key for me.  However, do not expect it to add any real height to the seat or distance from the foot pegs.  The measured height increase is really just extra padding (best I can tell).  So it is a bit softer, but not really any taller when seated on the bike.  BMW-Motorrad-Bohling.com has great prices on OEM BMW parts.  I think I paid about US$330 delivered to the US for my high seat a couple of months ago.

I almost bought a Corbin.  In that research I read that they add real height to the bike - maybe 1.5-2.0 inches in seat height.  That wasn't going to work for me, but at 6'5" it might be good for you.

Good luck and enjoy the bike, whichever one you get!!
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 01:13:41 PM by Speedy »
2018 BMW S1000XR Ocean Blue - Current
2015 Yamaha FZ-09 Matte Grey - Current
2012 Kawasaki Concours 1400 Black - Sold
2001 Honda CBR 929 - Sold

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2019, 01:15:31 PM »
God knows how much i’ve Spent on aftermarket seats over the years but the high BM option is pretty dam good is their better?? Just a case of having to try them.

Offline merlin

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Ilminster
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2019, 01:32:00 PM »
Yep, the screen is hopeless. I found the MRA Touring (without the spoiler) was a decent compromise, the spoiler version is noisy but moves the airflow up more.

SW Motech do footpegs which are adventure stylee with rubber pads, and I think they're height-adjustable. Not cheap though...

Online wessie

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2016 XR SE Sport
  • Town: Cheltenham
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2019, 04:16:13 PM »
I have the MV Motorrad peg lowering kit on my other bike (R1200RS) and they are very good quality. These can be altered into many different positions.

I see SW Motech have some that drop the pegs 15mm https://bykebitz.co.uk/sw-motech-footrest-lowering-kit-for-bmw-r1200gs-2392.html - about 25% cheaper but do not have the variability of the MV item.

Online wessie

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2016 XR SE Sport
  • Town: Cheltenham
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2019, 06:58:26 PM »
*Originally Posted by wessie [+]
I have the MV Motorrad peg lowering kit on my other bike (R1200RS) and they are very good quality. These can be altered into many different positions.

I see SW Motech have some that drop the pegs 15mm https://bykebitz.co.uk/sw-motech-footrest-lowering-kit-for-bmw-r1200gs-2392.html - about 25% cheaper but do not have the variability of the MV item.

and cheaper at https://www.louis-moto.co.uk/artikel/sw-motech-footrest-kit-various-models-with-abe/10044801?filter_article_number=10044850 - I have ordered quite a bit of stuff from Louis, based in Germany. Stuff like Rukka clothing & Daytona boots are often a lot cheaper than in the UK

make the order up to £99 with £14 of bits & bobs like chain lube and you get free postage - I think I will give these a punt.

Offline Rawdon

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000xr SE
  • Town: Cockermouth
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2019, 09:02:45 PM »
I'm in exactly the same boat, 6'5" and coming from an S1000r  I had the gen BMW sports seat on that and it made a huge difference over stock. I've ordered my bike in the HP colours so it comes with the seat upgrade as standard.
The one thing that almost put me off buying the XR was the wind noise of the screen. It was appalling on the test ride, I'm actually thinking of a shorter screen  but am open to suggestions.
As for the foot pegs, I just get on with the standard ones, I've given up on rearsets and the like and find standard Ok .

Offline advr6

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Burlington
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2019, 09:43:58 PM »
I'm 6'3" and ended up with the HP tall seat after trying a Corbin and not liking it as it was too slippery under braking with textile pants.  But The Corbin does give you quite a bit more legroom.

For the screen I went with a standard MRA vario screen which is a definite improvement over stock.  You can order extra tall ones if you like.

https://www.motorcycleparts-hornig.com/BMW-S-1000-XR/Windscreens/Vario-touring-screen.html

Offline Bree

• XR God
  • Bike: S1000XR
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2019, 08:15:25 AM »
Being just a bit over 6ft I find the vario screen ok now. It took a bit of experimenting with the vario blade, moving it about until I got It right.
Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.

Offline sipaldi

• XR Member
  • Bike: SPORT SE HP
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2019, 10:07:06 AM »
  Some really good advice guys, thanks.

I don't think 15mm on the sw motech pegs will be enough for me to be honest. I am booked for the Alps in August and there are some big 400 mile days ahead.  The MV Warping https://www.mv-motorrad.de/en/MV+Lowered+Adjustable+Rider+Footrest+for+BMW+S1000XR.htm  look good as they retain the original foot peg . I would get the varios at £90 but I am afraid of vibrations through the steel pegs supplied.
  I will probably go the vario screen route and try the aerofoil in different positions but as said, it was like being in a hurricane at 6ft 5" with the standard screen.

I am wondering if my BMW dealer would order the HP High seat for me to sit on before deciding if it is worth the extra £300 plus...........