Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Brittany Ferries cancellation at short notice  (Read 3605 times)

Offline Watshot

• XR Member
  • Bike: XR Sp SE
Re: Brittany Ferries cancellation at short notice
« Reply #60 on: May 22, 2019, 07:18:46 PM »
*Originally Posted by Markymark11 [+]
let's just say that my brother is used to litigation and knows how and where to go for info  :164:

So did he manage to get any info out of them regarding your trip?

Offline Markymark11

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2017 XR SE
  • Town: Basingstoke
« Reply #61 on: May 22, 2019, 08:05:12 PM »
Yes it's definitely canceled - all Plymouth / Portsmouth (Pont Aven) sailings are canceled until May 31st at least - they apologised for not telling us it was moved to Plymouth and they apologised for then canceling - which actually is not as annoying - I understand the cancellation if the ship is broke but what annoyed me is that fact that they never even told us we had been moved to Plymouth.

We are now looking at alternatives, maybe Portsmouth - St. Malo and driving down , or maybe even going to Germany or the Alps. We'll figure it out this weekend I guess. :002:

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #62 on: May 22, 2019, 09:10:05 PM »
The overnight St Malo boat docks at 8am we can be in Bordeaux by 4pm and that’s with a couple of stops and not busting a gut on the peage so if you crack on could certainly be close to the Spanish boarder in the day.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 09:10:55 PM by Winger »

Offline Bree

• XR God
  • Bike: S1000XR
« Reply #63 on: May 22, 2019, 09:30:28 PM »
St Malo to Bayonne 460 miles. Longish day but puts you only 150 miles from Santander.
Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.

Offline Markymark11

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2017 XR SE
  • Town: Basingstoke
« Reply #64 on: May 22, 2019, 10:37:40 PM »
I agree with you both - a blast through France and we will really only have lost half a day at most I think -  that is my favourite option. Just got to sort out times and make sure we are all agreed. ah well - just adds another dimension to the trip. I actually feel relieved - not knowing what was going on was annoying me. Just hope Bazzer can get home and it doesn't muck up his trip.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 10:38:48 PM by Markymark11 »

Offline Winger

• XR God
« Reply #65 on: May 23, 2019, 07:46:40 AM »
I’d have thought the biggest hassle now is getting on the St Malo boat which is going to be everyone’s option who wants to go to Spain still haven’t heard from Hobo’s mob who went a week last Sunday.

Offline bazzer

• XR Master
  • Town: Waterlooville
« Reply #66 on: May 23, 2019, 08:50:08 AM »
*Originally Posted by Markymark11 [+]
I agree with you both - a blast through France and we will really only have lost half a day at most I think -  that is my favourite option. Just got to sort out times and make sure we are all agreed. ah well - just adds another dimension to the trip. I actually feel relieved - not knowing what was going on was annoying me. Just hope Bazzer can get home and it doesn't muck up his trip.

I will probably ride to Le Harvre and cross to Pompy from there if my crossing is cancelled. If it was later in the year I would just ride back up through the Alps. This time of year some of the best passes are not guaranteed to be open though. I would be better if its not cancelled though as I would like to head west into the Picos and Galicia when our mates go back (on the Cap Finestre) its just me and one mate heading back on the Pont Aven a week later.

Offline Winger

• XR God
« Reply #67 on: May 23, 2019, 11:45:01 AM »
Bazzer

Don’t want poor fuel on the fire mate but be careful with Le- Harve when we went to Le-Mans last month 3 mates decided they would go that route we went to Caen,they paid for the tickets and then just before they went the return was transferred to Caen some BS about them wanting to use the  Le- Harve ferry for freight.

Now these 3 i’m on about  :002: would sleep on a park bench and even they were moaning about the boat!! Going out.

Online wessie

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2016 XR SE Sport
  • Town: Cheltenham
« Reply #68 on: May 23, 2019, 07:14:10 PM »
*Originally Posted by Winger [+]
Bazzer

Don’t want poor fuel on the fire mate but be careful with Le- Harve when we went to Le-Mans last month 3 mates decided they would go that route we went to Caen,they paid for the tickets and then just before they went the return was transferred to Caen some BS about them wanting to use the  Le- Harve ferry for freight.

Now these 3 i’m on about  :002: would sleep on a park bench and even they were moaning about the boat!! Going out.

the Le Havre service is the Économie service - cheaper cabins are similar to the other ships but there are fewer services on board. Food & beer is available. Fine for the crossing from Le Havre - Portsmouth in my view.

I'm using Baie de Seine on one way across Biscay as the date suits. Also Économie so a no frills service. I'll survive.

Of course, you save a few quid so should lower expectations accordingly.

Offline 1964Hall

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000 XR 18
  • Town: Salisbury'ish
« Reply #69 on: May 23, 2019, 07:22:17 PM »
*Originally Posted by wessie [+]
the Le Havre service is the Économie service - cheaper cabins are similar to the other ships but there are fewer services on board. Food & beer is available. Fine for the crossing from Le Havre - Portsmouth in my view.

I'm using Baie de Seine on one way across Biscay as the date suits. Also Économie so a no frills service. I'll survive.

Of course, you save a few quid so should lower expectations accordingly.
Our group uses the Portsmouth - LeHavre on the overnighter, so you sleep (well if your lucky) for most of the trip, breky in France is cheaper and far better.
I always use Caen-Portsmouth for the return. In fact on my own I use that both ways as I prefer the exit from Ouistreham into France, aside from I work in Caen as well often.
\v/
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 07:25:08 PM by 1964Hall »
\v/ince

dysfunctional