Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Rebound and compression enhancements  (Read 785 times)

Offline Wonger

• XR Pro
  • Bike: '18 S1000XR
  • Town: Fayetteville, GA
Rebound and compression enhancements
« on: May 13, 2019, 02:59:59 PM »
Has anyone had any luck with finding a way to increase the rebound damping? I've moved to the rider with luggage setting to try and help, but it still wallows a bit too much in road and even dynamic by a bit. My biggest concern is that you can clearly see the lack of rebound damping in the tire, where the rear edge of each tread is significantly raised followed by a dip in the compound. It's consistent on both sides and front and rear. I'm going to keep it in dynamic for a while just to make sure it's not me hucking it around a bit too hard when it's in road, but I'm pretty good about not pushing it when it's in road mode.
I'm about to switch to S22's after I can roast off these T30's in the next month or so, so I'm trying not to kill the set of tires by doing this, and lose on some grip and performance at the same time. The tire is just barely touching the edges but the meaty part of the sides on the edges of the tread are just wearing terribly, clearly from the incorrect rebound settings.
Hoping I don't need to go the full tractive route since I'll likely be trading this in on the next one in 2-3 years. I still need to upgrade the suspenders on my NineT and new track GSXR1000R as well.

I didn't know if there was a way to reflash the system to increase those settings or if we're forced to replace the suspenders if we require more because it's being pushed too hard. I didn't know if there was an option to update them either, like KTM has previously done.
This is also the factory lowered version, so I'm wondering if there's an inherent flaw in the valving on the low version that just doesn't show up often because it's not being pushed, or if it goes unnoticed.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 03:05:21 PM by Wonger »

Offline XRRICH

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000 XR SE Spor
  • Town: UK
Re: Rebound and compression enhancements
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2019, 07:50:16 PM »
This is a good question.... I have the same issues and mine is a factory lowered bike too! I am aware the factory version has different cartridges in the forks and dog bones on rear suspension- not sure what if spring rates are different to stock, certainly there is no adjustment on the bike via its menu system, as you ask whether the bike can be adjusted via any 3rd party tool is a valid question I am sure a few people would love an answer to ?

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2019, 12:03:21 PM »
My experience of stock BM shock is the difference between long and short options is casting at the bottom not the shock itself ask bazzer on here to do you a photo of his spare he has bought and do an eye to eye measurement.

Ever since I bought my 1100s in 2000 and a Dutch guy found out the Showa shocks were made in Spain costing $50 never viewed them as quality even when they fitted the K series with WP best place to ask questions for the Brits on here is Revs Racing(Wilbers importer) of K-Tech I see they actually to optional springs for the GT but list nothing for the X/R

For you guys in the States i’d Be talking to Ted Porter at the Beemer Shop.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 12:06:12 PM by Winger »

Offline 1964Hall

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000 XR 18
  • Town: Salisbury'ish
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2019, 12:55:18 PM »
I road tested 4 XRs, first was a lowered chassis & seat HP version dealer demo at CWs, that kinda hooked me i  the XR.
Wasn't going to buy new so tested the othrrs from Bahnstormers Alton.
Road their ex demo lowered chassis / low std seat and hated it. Rough ride, kept firing me out of the seat, completely different from CW demo. Checked suspension settings as well.
Ended up with a standard height chassis and HP seat, rides fairly well but as a lightweight 65kilo rider kitted, I've always found stock spring rates a compromise for me.
Oddly, on this bike I prefer the one + luggage option, even with only maybe 15/20 kilos luggage. As I recall BMW spring their larger bikes based on a 85kilo rider, now whether that's plus kit I'm not sure.
The XR is softer, less precise than my S1000r was for sure but my knackered spine prefers the ride on rough British roads.
I would like to reduce the rebound rate a tad though in the softer road mode.

By the way, does anyone else notice a difference in damping between the riding modes,  rain road, dynamic? I generally run dynamic map/road damping. But prefer dynamic damping on the smoother tarmac.

Oh, and someone mentioned the XR self levels for preload when you add weight. I don't think that correct or at leaset my SE doesn't do it. For sure I bung itnin one person when negotiating slippery ferry surfaces and notice it sits lower as I can get a full foot down without as much cheek overhang 😉
 \v/
\v/ince

Offline CobraKai

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: CA
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2019, 12:56:05 AM »
Funny you mention this because I definitely feel that there is TOO MUCH rebound damping in the shock. It often 'packs up' and will come off the ground over rough sections of road when riding WFO. If it were manually adjustable I would certainly give it 2 clicks out.
At the same time, there is too little rebound damping up front, as it springs up during fast transitions and feels a bit unstable.

But I understand why BMW did it this way, as it feels more planted when riding casually and gives it a lively steering feel.

When I get around to it, the fork will get slightly thicker oil and the shock will get a stiffer spring or maybe get replaced with the Tractive unit.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 12:56:44 AM by CobraKai »

dysfunctional