Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Not a great track day on my XR  (Read 555 times)

otrp and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline RedbirdXR

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2016 XR/GSXR1000
  • Town: san ramon,CA USA
Not a great track day on my XR
« on: May 14, 2019, 02:57:38 PM »
Wow, I took my 2016 XR with roughly 11K miles on it to its first track day.  (I typically use my GSXR 1000 as I really, really don't want my XR to go down).  Not a great day for the XR!

1000 miles ago, I put on the Dunlop Q3+ as I got a great deal on them.  I did notice almost immediately a large increase in the buzzy-ness we know and love.  I have weights on the handlebars and the dealer installed grommit "fix". 

I could not get through 15 minutes on the track without really loosing sensation in my right hand.  I was literally losing feeling and ability to operate throttle on the last lap I was out.  Afterward, I had to only run 12 minute sessions and had to break early for the day.  I have to admit I was a bit sad on the fact I cannot really use it on a track day. 

I am going to order Perili replacement tires for it today.  I'll give it another try on those. 

(BTW, it was at a track day put on by Aprilia and Daniese.  They let us run sessions on the 2019 Factory RSV4 and Tuono.  What a hoot, and I was able to run full sessions!). 

I definitely would not trade out the XR for the other bikes for every day, weekend or touring use.  I am willing to try another day on different tires, but if the results are the same, I'll stay off the track with my XR.  Perhaps the 2020 redesign will work better?

Offline PaulS1000XR

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Worcester, UK
Re: Not a great track day on my XR
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2019, 07:55:23 PM »
Fit bar ends - I have the HVMP ones  :305:
PSH

Offline RedbirdXR

• XR Member
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2019, 08:22:37 PM »
I have weighted bar ends...All of this with the bar ends..'

Offline RyanGTXR

• XR Member
  • Bike: KTM 1290 GT
  • Town: Notts
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2019, 09:33:51 PM »
Try it (on a td) with the std bar ends.
I've just put evotech heavy bar ends on my XR and the tingles are worse. They'll be coming off again very soon
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 09:34:23 PM by RyanGTXR »

Offline Gazk

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000xr SE Sport
  • Town: Leicester
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2019, 12:24:51 PM »
are you sure the wheels are balanced right?

The bar ends do help a bit but if your loosing felling in your hands that’s bad!
After over thirty years behind the bars, I’ve still not done it all or seen it all.

https://www.youtube.com/user/emmanuelgoldstein1

Offline RedbirdXR

• XR Member
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2019, 04:09:14 PM »
Good question on the balancing.  I'll check. 

Hopefully balance right as I had the dealer install them...

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2019, 06:17:19 PM »
Interesting reading this we have been on the road for a couple days and just arrived in NI i’ve Been way to busy riding other bikes this year so the X/R has had little use yesterday when we set off the vibration was down right unpleasant and certainly not how I remember it and put it down to culture shock and not being used to the bike.

Always put the best fuel in I can get and even with that in still vibrated, fuelled up at station in Southern Ireland this afternoon it’s flying with little vibration!!! And just confirms what I have believed for a long time that fuel quality is all over the place.

Offline Wonger

• XR Member
  • Bike: '18 S1000XR
  • Town: Fayetteville, GA
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2019, 05:50:52 PM »
Dunlop Q3+ and Q4's give a ton of 'feedback' from a stiff carcass. That's why a lot of track riders like them and ride them up into the Advanced group pace before swapping for slicks at some point. Try a set of S22 or RS10's for a softer feeling or Pirelli SC's down to their Rosso Corsa II's but nothing lower. Those are all softer feeling than the Dunlops. It's just a characteristic that works well for some people and some bikes, and others, not so much. 500lbs is pretty stout to be hustling around on track, so I wouldn't go any less sticky than that level or you'll be waiting for grip a lot of the lap. I like the extra margin from at minimum the RS10 level.
Also, vibration could be caused by balancing, but not the higher frequency buzzing that is prevalent on these bikes.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 05:53:57 PM by Wonger »

Online Watshot

• XR Member
  • Bike: XR Sp SE
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2019, 06:33:45 PM »
I’ve tracked on S21’s without issue, and have the Evotech end bar weights and don’t get any unusual vibes. Odd how different guys get variations with the same or similar kit. Hope you get it sorted  :028:

Offline TRAIL BOSS

• XR Junior
  • Bike: 16 S1KXR
  • Town: Arlington
« Reply #9 on: Today at 02:04:24 AM »
It was the Dunlops. Your motorcycle was trying to kill itself (and you) as punishment for installing such garbage on your noble steed.