Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Undecided in Arizona  (Read 576 times)

Offline chip0704

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2019 S1000XR
  • Town: Arizona
Undecided in Arizona
« on: May 23, 2019, 04:42:43 AM »
46 year old owner of a Triumph Sprint ST trolling for intel and opinions.  After 13 years on my trusty Sprint, I'm eager to get a new bike.  I've test ridden pretty much every brand out there and narrowed it down to 2 options this year:  BMW S1000XR (more practical) and Triumph Speed Triple S (more fun).  Yes, I realize they are both very different machines.  I'm 6'4" 210 lbs and not much into touring, my rides tend to be 2 hours or less.  I'm not a big fan of the upright riding positions on adventure style bikes even though they "fit" me better.  I test rode the XR last year and while everyone seems to rave about the engine, I didn't feel the same.  Of course, it was a short test ride.  And the only XR available in my area is a fully loaded HP for $20,000 (vs. $14,000 for the triple).  Any other tall riders out there with similar experience?

« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 04:45:15 AM by chip0704 »

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
Re: Undecided in Arizona
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2019, 07:41:01 AM »
What else have you ridden?

Offline serge1966

• XR Pro
  • It's all good...
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Melbourne
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2019, 08:05:37 AM »
By the sound of it, you've already made up your mind... or at least, you are leaning very strongly towards the Triple  :084:
I'm 6'2" and 190lbs and my previous steed was the 955i Daytona... two totally different machines from a riding position point of view, but since owning my 2017 XR (just over two years now and 21,000Kms) in the VERY FAST Ocean Matt Blue  :164: I have never once thought I was missing the riding position of a sports bike... probably due to the fact that the XR has such a bonkers engine  :007:
Life always offers you a second chance... it's called "Tomorrow"...

Offline sipaldi

• XR Member
  • Bike: SPORT SE HP
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2019, 08:34:27 AM »
  I am 6ft 5", 17 1/2 stone.  Only ever ridden sportsbikes for the past 16 years, prior to that motorcross.
  I came from a gsxr1000 then a ducati 1098.  I wanted something more comfortable, its difficult to find a sportsbike that is anything like a decent fit at 6ft 5", yet not to lose the performance. The S1000XR fits me well plus I am taking the misses on her first trip to the alps on it soon.
      For me it was the first bike I had purchased by box ticking. I previously purchased them as they looked great. The XR is no beauty but I think its a decent looking machine in the HP colours or even the triple black. Sorry to all the other colour owners  :034:
     You look a better fit on the XR.  Get the HP, the seat is much more comfortable, add a MRA vario screen and a can and off you go!
     Check out Cuban rider on youtube and baron von grumble on the XR.
     Good luck!

Phil    (new XR HP owner as of 10 days ago,  400 miles so far and lovin it)

Offline Bree

• XR God
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2019, 12:21:01 PM »
Both great bikes but for different reasons.  Personally I am not a great fan of the Triumph mainly because of previous Triumph ownership reasons. But thats just my opinion, my main reason for picking the XR was seating position, bonkers engine, and great touring ability.
Plus I lose interest with naked bikes after being blasted to hell at any speed over 80mph. 
Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.

Offline Parmenion

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000xr
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2019, 02:35:33 PM »
If your riding skills can cope with 150 rear wheel horsepower then the XR is a no brainer. That is if you can ride revving the engine from 9-11k. Otherwise the triple is the best option.
 Note: wind protection and upright position are more important than power.

Offline advr6

• XR Member
  • Town: Burlington
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2019, 04:06:15 PM »
I'm 6'4" and came from an R1150RS with a more forward canted seating position and wasn't sure about the upright position either but have now really grown to like it.  Given the 3 year warranty on the BMW you can probably find a slightly used 2018 with 2 years of warranty left for the same price as a new Triumph and you have the option to tour if you want...

If you prefer small nimble naked bikes I recently took the Yamaha MT 09 for a test drive and that bike was a lot of fun.  Also tried the KTM 790 Duke and actually would pick that over the MT09 for the cornering ABS and other electronic aids.

Online LAMBO281

• XR Pro
  • Live the dream and ride 247
  • Town: Berkshire UK
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2019, 10:02:40 PM »
Hi mate, I went from a speed triple S to an XR! Loved the triumph and triple but the XR just as much fun in the twisted and faster!!!  :305:

Offline chip0704

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2019 S1000XR
  • Town: Arizona
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2019, 12:00:59 AM »
*Originally Posted by Winger [+]
What else have you ridden?
Thanks to all for the feedback so far, it's helpful.  Hoping to go for another test ride next week on the XR.  It may just come down to whether I can afford it.  Other bikes I've test ridden and eliminated: 
BMW S1000R- left foot hits the auto shift mechanism, otherwise fit about the same as Speed Triple
BMW R1200RS- fit good but engine lacked power, and it's discontinued.  I don't really like the looks or weight of the other BMW models.
Ducati Multistrada 1200- owned one for a short time before dealer bought it back due to issues.  Loved the power at high RPM, but it sucked around town.  Didn't like the seat at all.
Ducati Monster- right heel hits the exhaust
Triumph Tiger 1200- felt like a big slow boat
KTM SuperDuke- arm position was uncomfortable
KTM SuperDuke GT- legs don't fit in the tank cutouts
Aprilia Tuono- right foot hits engine case

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2019, 06:44:57 AM »
The reason I ask i’ve A mate the same size as you no matter what he is sat on looks like he is on a mini Moto  :002: he’s always ‘looked best’ on the X/R but he never got on with the vibes and rides the one you haven’t the Yamaha MT10 although he still looks errr big on it  :001:

dysfunctional