Theme Select

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: Average age of the XR owner?  (Read 21688 times)

Offline RGVDave

• XR Junior
  • Bike: S1000xr
  • Town: Nunthorpe
Re: Average age of the XR owner?
Reply #170 on: March 18, 2021, 08:54:27 AM
*Originally Posted by JerryG [+]
61 years young here. I have 4,000 miles on my 2021 XR (delivered to me in late September 2020). I also have 24,000 on a '14 RR and 27,000 on my current '17 RR. Before those, I've put some ~600,000 miles on predecessor bikes. I've noticed the XR trounces my RR for comfort to the point where I'm thinking my RR days are numbered. Weirdly though, my sciatic pain seems a bit worse on the XR; still tuning the bike to get that perfect ergo fit.

Wow, your knocking the miles in, hopefully mine gets dropped off today. Although not even sure we are officially allowed to go out for a ride at the moment, but will go out "locall ish.
Hearing a lot about the seat height / comfort, what's that little add on you have on your seat? I am 6ft 3, so I feel cramp could be an issue for me.

Thanks

Offline JerryG

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2021 S1000XR
  • Town: Hendersonville
Reply #171 on: March 18, 2021, 02:37:20 PM
Re "allowed to go out": Here in the states, we're not on a lock down; even when we were, going out for socially distanced "exercise" was an allowed activity. Riding around in the Western North Carolina mountains on a motorcycle is definitely socially distanced and it's exercise; my doc categorized it as moderate level exercise. All I know is my legs are still quivering hours later as I nod off to a satisfied sleep.

Re seat height/comfort: See my post about the Air Hawk in this thread. This XR has the BMW low suspension and the BMW Comfort seat.  I like the low suspension, but would not recommend it for anyone with your height. As it is, I immediately had to remove the foot peg feelers or just grind them to nothing. My only other quibble on the low suspension is that the CAT bottoms out going over some speed bumps and other similar transitions; it's rare, but very disconcerting when it happens. I've never removed the CAT from a BMW, but this bike has me thinking about it. I bought the Comfort Seat after deciding the low seat was too low and not padded enough. Obviously, adding the Air Hawk added some height too. I still find myself wishing for some more leg room, so I may end up with a custom seat for comfort and leg room; not sure yet.

Offline Clewb

• XR Junior
  • Bike: S1000xr
Reply #172 on: March 21, 2021, 12:24:54 PM
28 . feel lucky to have been able to afford this bike at this age. It's an animal! only have it since December. 2000 miles on it despite weather here in Ireland and lockdown. Gotta be some benefits to still having to go to work!

Online Crosshairs

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2018 S1000XR
  • Town: Oceanport
Reply #173 on: March 21, 2021, 12:49:10 PM
*Originally Posted by Parmenion [+]
********SO FAR AVERAGE IS 56********

Well, I wont be affecting  that number...Ill be 56 at the end of this month....

Offline Crawfordjohn

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000 XR SE
  • Town: Bathgate
Reply #174 on: March 21, 2021, 02:28:46 PM
*Originally Posted by Darty65 [+]
Can only drive it for 3 hours maximum before the the cramp sets in

Hi Antares,
I’m 6’ tall with a 31” inside leg and bought the BMW high saddle for my Gen2. Rode it last weekend with the lower (original) seat and got cramp although I was able to lock into the tank better. Don’t know your proportions, but may be worth trying a higher seat?

Hi Red XR 21, I am a 32 inch inside leg. Have the Sport SE in BMW colours with the fancy seat which I think is about an inch higher than the standard seat.
Crawfordjohn
Bathgate no more!

Offline al reece

• XR Junior
  • Bike: XR1000
  • Town: Pymble
Reply #175 on: March 29, 2021, 09:58:38 AM
Members
Average age I on the guys i ride who have XR is 62 -  I am 66 and have just traded up to 2020 model - had 2015 up until 2 weeks ago, a 75 year mate is on his second, 70 years old has one, 58 year mate has one, 62 year associate has one - we all ride about 10000 to 15000 kms per year. and we keep up with sports bikes
Great bike - give your mates a ride - they would knock you then
regards

dysfunctional