Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Any Input on these Specific Sub $500 Summer Mesh Jackets for me?  (Read 915 times)

Offline Speedy

• XR Pro
  • Town: Atlanta
HI Folks,

I'm looking to upgrade my summer riding gear from rather ordinary Tour Master to something with as much protection and airflow as I can get for $500 or less. I also want something with a matching pant available and more form fitted look.  I do understand there is a trade-off between safety and airflow.  I have a full-perf Vanson leather jacket, but its just too hot for anything under 20 mph and its also quite heavy for long rides.

So I'm looking at the following (with my initial thoughts):

Rukka Stretch Air (looks great and is supposed to very light weight - at the top of my budget)
Rukka All Air (same as above)
Klim Apex Air (Found a smokin' deal ($300), not a great style and somewhat limited venting)
Klim Induction (Boxy and no waist adjustment, not sure if it has a pant zipper, lots of mesh, mesh seems heavier duty than Rev-it)
Rev-it Tornado 2  (seems like it might be too much mesh to be super safe)

If you have one (or more) of these, could you please provide a little commentary?

Thank you.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 04:11:19 PM by Speedy »
2018 BMW S1000XR Ocean Blue - Current
2015 Yamaha FZ-09 Matte Grey - Current
2012 Kawasaki Concours 1400 Black - Sold
2001 Honda CBR 929 - Sold

Offline bazzer

• XR Master
  • Town: Waterlooville
Re: Any Input on these Specific Sub $500 Summer Mesh Jackets for me?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2019, 04:04:22 PM »
No pant zipper on Klim Induction, I am a big Klim fan and was disappointed.

Offline Wonger

• XR Pro
  • Bike: '18 S1000XR
  • Town: Fayetteville, GA
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2019, 02:11:11 PM »
I purchased the Rukka 4air this year to attach with my previous gen Airman pants. It seems ok overall, but I'm not sure it's as robust as I'd like, and although a bit softer material, it doesn't seem much safer than the Clearance Revit Airforce jacket I got last year. Overall it's comfortable, and I'd recommend it, but it doesn't seem as robust as one might think. A couple friends have the Klim Induction and like them. If you fall into the right size, it fits pretty good actually. You can still find some of the Klim Apex jackets around as well that have leather shoulders and outer arms as well as a liner.
Don't forget about the BMW gear as it is pretty darn good stuff. I have the airflow pants and they are great.

As a resource, there is also a company locally called Compass Leather that can attach a zipper to any jacket/pant combo if it doesn't come with what you are looking for. He did work on my leathers and is great and affordable.

And as a fellow GA rider, I can appreciate the requirement for full ventilation. Also, I will note. The black fabric on my Rukka jacket is noticeably warmer in sunlight than my white Revit jacket. I really only notice it on my back, but if I were doing it again, I'd get the white 4air jacket over my Black/Black/Gray jacket.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 02:14:24 PM by Wonger »

Offline SAVAGEFOX

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR SPORT SE
  • Town: Croydon
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2019, 08:46:35 PM »
I have a dainese mesh summer jacket and I love it, super light weight and has an inner windbreaker liner that is removable

https://www.dainese.com/gb/en/motorbike/jackets/textile/air-frame-d1-tex-jacket-201735196.html?dwvar_201735196_color=BLACK%2FBLACK%2FBLACK
2018 BMW S1000XR SPORT SE
Previous bikes:
2016 BMW S1000R SPORT ABS
2015 YAMAHA MT-07 ABS

Offline Speedy

• XR Pro
  • Town: Atlanta
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2019, 09:20:39 PM »
Thanks to those responding.

Minor update:

The Klim arrived and although very nice, not the right size and more boxy than I'm looking for.
I tried on the Rev'it and just wasn't comfortable in the arms with the padding - padding too hard for me for long days of wearing it.
Revzilla sent me the completely wrong jacket and is now sold out of the Rukka StretchAir, so that one unfortunately gets scratched.  I did order a Rukka AirAll as a replacement which should arrive in a couple of days.  So we'll see how it fits/feels.
I'll take a look at eh Dainese...
2018 BMW S1000XR Ocean Blue - Current
2015 Yamaha FZ-09 Matte Grey - Current
2012 Kawasaki Concours 1400 Black - Sold
2001 Honda CBR 929 - Sold

Offline wessie

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2016 XR SE Sport
  • Town: Cheltenham
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2019, 09:30:46 PM »
Happy with my Rukka stuff including Airider (discontinued in EU, replaced by Forsair)

As also mentioned above, for trousers I wear BMW Rallye 3 which are very breathable with the waterproof liner removed. Airider jacket needs an overjacket if it rains - Richa breathable jacket that rolls up into a pouch does that.

All bought in closeout sales with huge discounts.

All worn in Southern Europe in summer to great effect.

Offline Markymark11

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2018 MotorSport
  • Town: Basingstoke
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2019, 11:02:36 PM »
I have the same Dainese Air Frame as Savagefox - definitely a breezy jacket with a nice windproof liner for evenings in the summer. My only gripe is the lack of pockets.

Offline SAVAGEFOX

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR SPORT SE
  • Town: Croydon
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2019, 11:32:23 PM »
Really mark? I have 2 on the outside and one on the inside.... for me it’s enough for a summer jacket... if I need a bit more storage I’ll take my bum bag

https://www.infinitymotorcycles.com/product/dainese-d-exchange-pouch-black
2018 BMW S1000XR SPORT SE
Previous bikes:
2016 BMW S1000R SPORT ABS
2015 YAMAHA MT-07 ABS

Offline grizzle

• XR Pro
  • Bike: HP Motorsport
  • Town: North Wales
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2019, 12:28:37 AM »
Rukka Forsair for when its hot, Good armour on shoulders elbows and back but have to hope it is durable as they say it is in a slide
Also bought a Pekev top from a sailing company to wear under if temperature drops say in the morning or evening, £25 quid cheaper than an EDZ one
With a thin breathable waterproof top, it's all I need when away in the summer

Offline grizzle

• XR Pro
  • Bike: HP Motorsport
  • Town: North Wales
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2019, 12:32:57 AM »
Pertex top, not pekev, Doh!

dysfunctional