Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Cant find Neutral  (Read 2008 times)

Offline norskman

• XR Member
  • Bike: BMW S1000XR Red
  • Town: London, UK
Cant find Neutral
« on: June 14, 2019, 08:09:15 PM »
My bike has just done 2200. Its a late 2018 model with blipper.

Now I cant find Neutral and first is difficult.

I guess the clutch cable has stretched, but after only 2200 miles??

H/ow do I adjust the  clutch cable, just on the screw by the clutch lever?

Any thanks

Offline Mareng1

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Scotland
Re: Cant find Neutral
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2019, 08:21:36 PM »
Do a search for ‘neutral’ - there is quite an extensive thread on that very issue :028:

Online otrp

• XR Master
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2019, 10:20:08 PM »
*Originally Posted by norskman [+]
My bike has just done 2200. Its a late 2018 model with blipper.

Now I cant find Neutral and first is difficult.

I guess the clutch cable has stretched, but after only 2200 miles??

H/ow do I adjust the  clutch cable, just on the screw by the clutch lever?

Any thanks

I've had this same issue on a couple of bikes. A simple turn or so (the nut by the clutch lever) should do the trick.

Offline Speedy

• XR Pro
  • Town: Atlanta
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2019, 01:14:01 PM »
Same issue here.  I've removed as much slack as I can from the cable and it's better, but not how it should be.

I've added it to the list of things that need checking if I ever take the bike in for warranty work.... 
2018 BMW S1000XR Ocean Blue - Current
2015 Yamaha FZ-09 Matte Grey - Current
2012 Kawasaki Concours 1400 Black - Sold
2001 Honda CBR 929 - Sold

Offline Bree

• XR God
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2019, 02:00:56 PM »
I keep mine adjusted so when cold there's hardly any adjustment at the lever. As soon at it warms up then the correct adjustment is at the lever. Never had any problem getting first gear since I followed this advice from this forum.
Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.

Offline Mibridger

• XR Member
  • The harder I work, the luckier I get
  • Town: Dunkeswell
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2019, 02:03:47 PM »
I find that you need to adjust the clutch when the engine is cold as they have a tendency for the lever to move more when the engine is hot

This is the same on both the RR and the XR.

I always adjust mine to have almost no movement at the lever when cold which equates to about 2-3mm when hot.

Yes, just use the adjuster at the clutch lever.

Offline orbits

• XR Member
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2019, 04:12:40 PM »
Quite a timely thread as I’ve just changed levers and noted Neutral is a bit harder to find. I adjusted the new levers to give similar free play as the OEM ones but think I’ll try Mibridger’s approach of almost none when cold.

Suspect there’s just more cable movement needed to fully disengage the clutch. Aftermarket levers have reduced the span so I don’t need Gruffalo-hands :028: like the OEM levers, but as a result they’ve reduced the cable movement so now I need to rob a bit back from the free play.

Offline wilbert

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2018 XR Sport SE
  • Town: Lancashire
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2019, 08:10:28 PM »
I have been having difficulty finding neutral and some issues with the QS. During the 6000 mile service it was noted that there was quite a bit of clutch drag. They have had the bike in the workshop for 2 days now and I am non the wiser to what the final outcome may be. I'm guessing new parts.

Offline Speedy

• XR Pro
  • Town: Atlanta
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2019, 08:37:53 PM »
Could it be that BMW did not do an adjustable clutch lever for this very reason?  Maybe they knew there was an issue with the cable stretching and wanted to keep a long pull.  Otherwise, why do you not include an adjustable lever to match the adjustable brake lever - it can't be more than a few dollars difference on the assembly line of a $20k bike.

Seems odd....

Is it only those of us with aftermarket adjustable levers that are having the problem?  Next time I ride I'll move mine out to the furthest setting and see if it makes a difference.
2018 BMW S1000XR Ocean Blue - Current
2015 Yamaha FZ-09 Matte Grey - Current
2012 Kawasaki Concours 1400 Black - Sold
2001 Honda CBR 929 - Sold

Offline Bree

• XR God
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2019, 09:08:52 PM »
*Originally Posted by Speedy [+]
Could it be that BMW did not do an adjustable clutch lever for this very reason?  Maybe they knew there was an issue with the cable stretching and wanted to keep a long pull.  Otherwise, why do you not include an adjustable lever to match the adjustable brake lever - it can't be more than a few dollars difference on the assembly line of a $20k bike.

Seems odd....

Is it only those of us with aftermarket adjustable levers that are having the problem?  Next time I ride I'll move mine out to the furthest setting and see if it makes a difference.

I do not think it has anything to do with the cable stretching. Its all to do with heat when the clutch is cold there is less play, so if you have play in the lever when cold, as soon as the clutch heats up that play gets bigger. So when you apply the lever to get into neutral the clutch is not fully engaged. Hence the difficulty in engaging neutral.
The tried and tested way is to reduce the lever play at cold to near zero. This then puts it at the accepted gap when the clutch is hot. I have adjustable levers and they work okay using this method....
Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.

dysfunctional