Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Cant find Neutral  (Read 1555 times)

Offline TartanX

• XR Junior
  • Bike: S1000 XR
  • Town: Aberdeen
Re: Cant find Neutral
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2019, 05:30:42 AM »
*Originally Posted by smithy [+]
Yes, but it's quite difficult, I had to "make my own" tool, to undo the lock nuts....but it is doable.

Smithy.
Thanks Smithy.i will give it a go. Any chance of a photo if you had a spare minute , much appreciated  :028:

Offline smithy

• XR Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Brisvegas.
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2019, 12:37:23 AM »
*Originally Posted by TartanX [+]
Thanks Smithy.i will give it a go. Any chance of a photo if you had a spare minute , much appreciated  :028:

It's just a bent spanner to be honest, pretty simple. I'm working away from home ATM so won't be able to take a pic for some time.

Smithy.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline TartanX

• XR Junior
  • Bike: S1000 XR
  • Town: Aberdeen
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2019, 09:03:15 PM »
Yep no worries Smithy , was just curious to see how you’d bent it like Yuri Geller  :001:
It does look bloody awkward , I can see the air turning blue before I’m finished  :034:

Offline smithy

• XR Master
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2019, 11:42:35 PM »
*Originally Posted by TartanX [+]
Yep no worries Smithy , was just curious to see how you’d bent it like Yuri Geller  :001:
It does look bloody awkward , I can see the air turning blue before I’m finished  :034:

Yep, Yuri Geller for sure....but didn't he just bend spoons..?? He was found out to be a fake in the end I think... :112:

The bend is very close to the end of the open end bit, otherwise you can't get it in there.!!

Smithy.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline PaulS1000XR

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Worcester, UK
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2019, 03:13:32 PM »
Just get the dealer to look at it. No problem finding neutral on my XR's and I have had 3  :305:
PSH

Offline smithy

• XR Master
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2019, 01:10:35 AM »
*Originally Posted by PaulS1000XR [+]
Just get the dealer to look at it. No problem finding neutral on my XR's and I have had 3  :305:

Likewise here, I don't have a problem finding the "un-gear".. :152:

Smithy.

Offline Westers151

• XR Junior
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2019, 09:37:11 PM »
If you chuck aftermarket clutch levers on it, and didn't take any notice of how it was adjusted in the first place ('cos no bike I've ever owned before has been such a fussy bitch like this one), then having issues with neutral is more than likely.

I've resolved mine now, although my idea of free play and BMW's idea of free play is totally different. Basically, wind the bar end adjuster out about the 10 -12 mm, and you should be fine. What you're looking for is for the clutch actuator arm to move pretty much as soon as you even slightly pull on the clutch.

Offline smithy

• XR Master
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2019, 09:46:53 PM »
*Originally Posted by Westers151 [+]
If you chuck aftermarket clutch levers on it, and didn't take any notice of how it was adjusted in the first place ('cos no bike I've ever owned before has been such a fussy bitch like this one), then having issues with neutral is more than likely.

I've resolved mine now, although my idea of free play and BMW's idea of free play is totally different. Basically, wind the bar end adjuster out about the 10 -12 mm, and you should be fine. What you're looking for is for the clutch actuator arm to move pretty much as soon as you even slightly pull on the clutch.

Just keep it simple...No matter what levers are fitted, 1mm of clutch lever free-play should see most people out of trouble.

Smithy.

Offline Bree

• XR God
  • Bike: S1000XR
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2019, 10:04:36 PM »
*Originally Posted by smithy [+]
Just keep it simple...No matter what levers are fitted, 1mm of clutch lever free-play should see most people out of trouble.

Smithy.

Been said many many times now But   :0461:
Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.

Offline Westers151

• XR Junior
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2019, 06:43:33 PM »
Yes, but what you've all said, many, many times is "1mm of clutch-lever free play is all you need", rather than "1mm of clutch-lever free play before the clutch actuation arm moves".

There's a massive difference between the two, and a massive difference from being able to find neutral, and not being able to find neutral.

What's obvious to you, when you write, isn't always obvious to others who aren't as close to the problem/solution as you are  :002:

dysfunctional