Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Cant find Neutral  (Read 2212 times)

Online Bree

• XR God
  • Bike: S1000XR
Re: Cant find Neutral
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2019, 10:18:22 PM »
I am certain that 1mm of play at the lever end, is what is required. That will directly be in relation to the clutch actuator arm. But in any case the simple equation is as stated 1mm of play at the lever end normally solves the problem.
Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.

Offline jfnz

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2019 BMW S1000XR
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2019, 12:12:20 AM »
Not massively helpful, but definitely agreed on the fact you need to wind the clutch quite tight and minimise the amount of free play.

I had mine set as per the spec in the owners manual and didn't have issues with it -- after first service, the shop had adjusted this so it left the lever in a nicer position to grab, but with significantly more play. I've had trouble finding neutral since, anything but the slightest tap will hit second instead of neutral even with the clutch all the way in.

As an aside, I'm still finding I have a lot of false neturals. Mainly in the upward direction (1 -> 2) but also sometimes on the way back down (2 -> 1) with both the clutch and the quickshift. Maybe I'm just not rough enough on the lever? Who knows.

Offline Westers151

• XR Junior
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2019, 09:13:56 PM »
Hmm, I've not had false neutrals, however I did have the "1st to 2nd, and then back down for neutral" syndrome, which has largely gone away now I've adjusted the free play.

As other have said, it's 1mm or less free play at the clutch lever, however what that really means is "1mm before the clutch actuator arm at the engine case starts to move." Initially I was looking for "free play" at the clutch lever before the clutch cable moved, as that's what I consider to be free play. However, that's not the case, and it's 1mm of free play before the actuation arm moves.

:)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2019, 09:14:49 PM by Westers151 »

Offline jfnz

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2019 BMW S1000XR
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2019, 07:22:24 AM »
Another adjustment that seems to help is chain tension. Mine was adjusted at first service by the dealer tech to just over 55mm -- that was 5mm more than the spec (45-50mm). I tightened it up to the other end of the spectrum (a hair under 45mm) and the shifts seem way better now.

I only ever ride 1 up, no luggage so not overly concerned about it being on the tighter end of the scale.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2019, 07:23:39 AM by jfnz »

Offline runnerhiker

• XR Junior
  • Bike: '19 S1000XR
  • Town: Niwot CO USA
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2019, 05:22:48 AM »
I have a new 2019 XR, one week old, with 350 miles on it.  Neutral is hard to find.  The clutch lever is very far away from the hand grip.  I have a hard time finding neutral as I slowly come to a stop.  I have a hard time finding neutral once I have come to a complete stop.  And I am pulling the lever all the way in to touch the hand grip.  If I am in 1st, it will jump to 2nd.  If I am in 2nd, it will jump to 1st.

The 600 mile service is scheduled for next week, I will tell them to look at it.  But it surprises me that it is acting this way.

Online Bree

• XR God
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2019, 08:51:31 AM »
Plenty of previous threads on here about this problem. Its easily solved by reducing the freeplay on the clutch lever. It wants to be reduced when cold to 5mm or less, to compensate for when the bike warms up......

Online SimonUK

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR,S1000R
  • Town: Upstate, SC
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2019, 11:58:27 AM »
*Originally Posted by Bree [+]
Plenty of previous threads on here about this problem. Its easily solved by reducing the freeplay on the clutch lever. It wants to be reduced when cold to 5mm or less, to compensate for when the bike warms up......

surely you mean 1mm or less??

Online Bree

• XR God
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2019, 12:11:42 PM »
Ha Ha surely you are correct typo error on my part.... :164:.......:041:

Offline runnerhiker

• XR Junior
  • Bike: '19 S1000XR
  • Town: Niwot CO USA
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2019, 04:11:50 AM »
I rode about 70 miles today and finding neutral was a lot easier.  I have no explanation for this.  But I can confirm that the clutch lever freeplay is about 1mm when cold and about 4 or 5 mm when hot.