Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Clutch Drag / other issues  (Read 3090 times)

Offline wilbert

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2018 XR Sport SE
  • Town: Lancashire
Clutch Drag / other issues
« on: June 19, 2019, 08:26:08 PM »
So my bike had its 6000 mile service last week and I reported problems with the QS and the loose nosecone round the headlight. At the end of the service they said they would ask BMW to replace the nose cone under warrantee and had made a few adjustments concerning the QS. They went onto say that the technician had noticed some clutch drag and that they would like to have it back for further investigation. They have replaced the nosecone and have had the bike for 2 days now trying to suss out the problem. They have whipped out the clutch and measured all the plates to see if there are any irregularities. All are within spec and show no signs of abnormal wear for this mileage. They have been leasing with BMW technical support to see what other tests can be done.

I hadn't noticed any problems with the clutch and the bike certainly didn't creep forward when in gear with the clutch lever pulled fully back. The only issue I had was with the QS and finding neutral from time to time. They have given me a loan bike ( R Nine T) but I wont be riding it as its bloody horrible. Slow, noisy, vibrates like mad, too much wind blast, not the best handing either and it looks terrible. The wife burst out laughing when I turned up at home on it. She said it looked like the kind of thing someone having a midlife crisis would buy if they had never ridden a bike before. I think she is right too.

Offline Bree

• XR God
  • Bike: S1000XR
Re: Clutch Drag / other issues
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2019, 09:12:54 PM »
 :047: :047: :047: Best description of the R nine T. I have yet heard.           
Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.

Offline wilbert

• XR Pro
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2019, 08:13:36 PM »
4 days and still none the wiser, I guess it will be at least Monday before I hear anything. They best not have it too long as I have a trip to Orkney with the Mrs coming up. Cracking weather right now and all I have to ride is the shitty R Nine T loan bike or my KTM XC350f, neither of which are much good on the road. Shows how much I dislike the R9T as I mowed the lawn today rather than go for a ride........
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 08:14:24 PM by wilbert »

Offline Speedy

• XR Pro
  • Town: Atlanta
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2019, 09:45:24 PM »
With that boxer motor in the R9T, riding it is kinda like riding the mower, right?  Agricultural, I mean.... :192:
2018 BMW S1000XR Ocean Blue - Current
2015 Yamaha FZ-09 Matte Grey - Current
2012 Kawasaki Concours 1400 Black - Sold
2001 Honda CBR 929 - Sold

Offline wilbert

• XR Pro
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2019, 09:50:42 PM »
I'm not posh enough or have a big enough garden to have a ride on mower but I see what you mean.

Offline wilbert

• XR Pro
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2019, 09:00:17 PM »
A week later and still not resolved. Cracking weather forecast for the next 7 days so I can't take the Mrs out. I am within my rights to request an identical bike as a loan bike as the R9T just isn't my or her cup of tea?

Offline Bree

• XR God
  • Bike: S1000XR
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2019, 04:08:16 PM »
R9T must be like a cup of distilled water. :041:
Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.

Offline jfnz

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2019 BMW S1000XR
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2019, 03:52:08 AM »
For what it's worth, I just got a brand new XR and can comment on the issue specifically around finding neutral. I dislike the clutch on the bike so far, because of how heavy the pull is and where it wants to engage when adjusted to the spec the manual says.

Usually I use two-fingers on the clutch which means when it's pulled fully in, it's still slightly out. I notice no clutch engagement, however I do notice when I do this the bike refuses to find neutral. When I move my fingers and pull the clutch all the way in with 4-fingers (e.g. right to the handgrip) I can hit neutral with relative ease.

This would suggest to me that the clutch remains engaged despite it being pulled most of the way in and that the gearbox is super-sensitive to this when wanting to find neutral. Not a big deal for me I don't think as I've just bought some aftermarket, shorter leavers but hopefully it may help you with something.

Offline norskman

• XR Member
  • Bike: BMW S1000XR Red
  • Town: London, UK
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2019, 11:42:12 AM »
Right now I have the same problem. It just will not go into first easily and neutral not at all.

Put the bike on the centre stand and engage first if possible. make sure there is nothing near the back wheel and it is clear of the ground!

Then slowly let the clutch out. Firstly you will find the biting point - you will hear the engine revs drop - so that biting point can be adjusted. But when pulled in the back wheel should not turn.

if you don;t do this on the centre stand, then with you on the bike the weight will counteract the low speed engagement of the clutch and you will not know if its engaged or not.

Still QS not going to Neutral though. all other gears except 1st are fine???

Offline wilbert

• XR Pro
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2019, 08:44:32 PM »
*Originally Posted by Bree [+]
R9T must be like a cup of distilled water. :041:

More like lukewarm piss with a whiff of burning oil. Can't wait to give it back.

News from Bowker BMW after letting the 6000 mile clutch soak in fresh oil (like the stuff they put in 40 miles ago wasn't fresh enough) like BMW technical dept suggested, they re fit the clutch and guess what? The problem is still there. I did tell them that I thought they were wasting yet more time but they had to try. So tomorrow they will have had my bike for 2 full weeks. I am now waiting for BMW to authorise fitting a brand new clutch under warrantee which could take a day or two and then a day or two for the part to arrive. They are cutting it bloody close as I go on holiday on Saturday and when I return I'm going on a biking holiday with the wife round Scotland.