Theme Select

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: Navigator VI -- Worth it?  (Read 2426 times)

Online Becksy

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR (2016)
  • Town: Warwickshire
Re: Navigator VI -- Worth it?
Reply #10 on: May 03, 2021, 06:40:58 PM
*Originally Posted by PatrickF [+]
In my humble opinion no it isn’t. I have the Nav V which is on my 3rd bike now, all my route planning is done on Furkot which is free as I loathe Basecamp.

Basecamp is free as well. I don't know Furkot, but for the OP's benefit there is also Kurviger and MyRouteApp as route planning tools to interface with the Nav, but I think you pay for those.

Offline Antares

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2015 BMW S1000XR
Reply #11 on: May 03, 2021, 06:45:55 PM
I've used the Navi 5 for a while now and I dare say it's absolutely fantastic. Curvy roads setting is absolutely brilliant, it takes me on some of the nicest roads that I'd entirely miss when planning from A to B even if I do "avoid motorways". I've used Google maps, iGO and Navitel on my phones and this beats them all massively simply due to how it just makes amazing routes on it's own that really just work. I've not had any problems with route length, curvy is always at most 5-10% longer than the regular route which is precisely it's function. My only gripe is when you have "Avoid traffic" enabled on the navigation settings it takes absolutely AGES to calculate a route and forget trying to do it on the move, you miss a corner whilst it's calculating and it'll start doing it again. 30-40 mile routes take like 30-40 seconds to calculate. Using it in London it took me over 1 minute for it to calculate a route from Richmond to Barking on "Shortest distance". But it all does work. It definitely succeeds at avoiding heavy traffic and taking me beautiful places. That said, I'm not sure they're worth 600-700 GBP. I got mine with the bike when I bought it and I'm perfectly content with it but I don't think I'd buy it if I didn't already have it, but the same goes for any dedicated GPS systems. But with the integration, and the Basecamp route planning being relatively easy to use I think it's definitely one of the best navigators out there and especially so for BMWs.

Edit: It's definitely missing features, but not any more so than rivals or free options. For example the layout of menus is a bit awkward it'd be nice if you could access your history and plot a route using the whizz wheel from the same menu where you can make a "call home" but you can't. There are a lot of useless gimmicks too that could be replaced by more useful features. But everything is accessible and the screen, whilst not recommended, is easy enough to use whilst riding along.
Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 06:50:22 PM by Antares

Offline Bismonte

• XR Junior
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Loxahatchee
Reply #12 on: May 03, 2021, 11:24:37 PM
I've had a Nav V since my bike was new. (June, 2015) I use it all the time, especially on longer trips and love it. A couple things come to mind when considering phone based navigation. 1) The gps installation is cleaner and a bit more weather resistant than mounting a phone with a charging cable. There are a number of ways to get around this, but I don't care for weatherproof cases that impair vision especially in wet conditions. 2) For your phone to even be an option you have to a data plan. I have a minimal data plan with my carrier as Wifi is so prevalent especially near where I typically use my phone. I'd have to pay $5/GB for additional data to be streaming music or nav data. Maybe you already pay for unlimited data. I don't, which has saved me more than cost of a new GPS over the last few years. 3) Maybe only in the US, but even if your more comfortable using your phone and an app for navigation, there are more than a few locations that don't have cell towers/signals. I ride to, in, and around a lot of the Appalachian region and cell service is spotty to non existent in rural and mountainous areas which makes a phone unusable for anything. Maybe it's just the way I roll, but when I'm on the bike I turn my phone off and throw it in a bag. When I get to my destination I'll turn it to check messages and mail. Don't like to use it while on the move. Nav V use is pretty much the opposite. On all the time while I'm riding and turns off when I'm not.
“Ordinarily he was insane, but he had lucid moments when he was merely stupid”
― Heinrich Heine

Offline Mareng1

• XR God
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Cumbria
Reply #13 on: May 03, 2021, 11:45:35 PM
The phone uses next to no data, I’m sure.

The maps are pre-loaded and all it uses is the phone’s normal location info.

Offline Antares

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2015 BMW S1000XR
Reply #14 on: May 03, 2021, 11:50:44 PM
*Originally Posted by Mareng1 [+]
The phone uses next to no data, I’m sure.

The maps are pre-loaded and all it uses is the phone’s normal location info.

True if you download offline maps in google maps it uses no data, and the phones use similar GPS chips to these dedicated GPS units, maybe a bit less accurate ones.

Offline Darty65

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR TE (K69)
Reply #15 on: May 04, 2021, 08:51:00 AM
This all boils down to personal preference. I use a Nav6 and on occasion, the BMW nav on my TFT which relies on the Connected App. Annoyingly, the Nav doesn’t connect to the TFT, so it’s either one or the other.

Some of my observations are: -

The jog wheel works with BMW‘S satnav, nothing else. There are some aftermarket hardware / software combinations that allow you to use the jog wheel with a phone, but despite a previous request, it either doesn’t appear that many people are using them or they don’t want to offer feedback on this forum.

To make a pretty installation, you’d have to remove the satnav cradle on your bike if installed. You can install BMW’s wireless phone cradle, but this won’t give you jog wheel control. You’d probably want to swap back before you sell your bike too.

Phones and other satnavs can’t be locked onto the cradle which means that you have to remove and store them when you stop for coffee, etc.. If your bike is relatively new and has the OEM cradle, it probably has a lock that utilises the bikes key, so you can leave the satnav in place without worrying about it being nicked.

The TFT satnav relies on the connected app, so you’re still using your data plan. I don’t know how significant this is as I never use all of my plan each month. However, if you use a Bluetooth headset with the TFT, irritatingly, BMW have set the volume to its lowest setting and it can’t be adjusted unless you use their helmet and headset. If you Bluetooth your headset to the Nav6 or others, of course you have control over the volume. This is especially useful if you wear earplugs.

The connected app has some lovely features such as ride tracking and being able to set curvy roads, but so does the Nav6 and most phone apps. One issue with the TFT app is you have to set the destination on your phone unless it’s in your favourites or you’ve used the destination previously. Also, if you’re out all day, the phones battery will run out unless you charge it under the seat.

So, as I mentioned when I started, it’s really down to personal preference.

Offline JerryG

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2021 S1000XR
  • Town: Hendersonville
Reply #16 on: May 04, 2021, 02:18:57 PM
I recently came across WunderLinq which enables mounting your phone on the BMW OEM GPS mount, using the BMW wiz wheel to control phone features, and has an app that displays data normally sent to the mounted GPS. There are also a few 3rd party apps who have configured their apps to be wiz wheel usable via Wunderlinq, e.g., Kurviger. I've ordered it, but it hasn't arrived. I'll report back later once it arrives and I've tested using it.

Link to their site: https://blackboxembedded.com/products/wunderlinq-commuter-edition?gclid=CjwKCAjwj6SEBhAOEiwAvFRuKNthZGeFAz7N5bnSyE1FovPYK4Q6bu3yFgNaem8Yy6aVCaMhQIbPLBoC2-kQAvD_BwE&utm_campaign=gs-2020-12-01&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_medium=smart_campaign&utm_source=google&variant=16333372522545

Offline esso_sa

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2020 S1000XR
  • Town: Sarajevo
Reply #17 on: May 04, 2021, 05:32:39 PM
Just a quick heads up.
New Navigator VI model 2021 is out. Changes include display upgrade and different user menu graphics. Visually it is still the same as the 2017 Nav VI
Part number for 2021 (European) version is 77528504067

Online bobdave

• XR Member
  • Bike: BMW S100XR
  • Town: Bournemouth
Reply #18 on: May 04, 2021, 06:03:09 PM
*Originally Posted by Darty65 [+]

Phones and other satnavs can’t be locked onto the cradle which means that you have to remove and store them when you stop for coffee, etc.. If your bike is relatively new and has the OEM cradle, it probably has a lock that utilises the bikes key, so you can leave the satnav in place without worrying about it being nicked.

I use the TomTom rider and I replaced the NavVI cradle with the TomTom locking cradle so I can keep mine locked on the bike when I want to.

I agree that it comes down to personal preference and I just get on better with the TomTom rider and use Kurviger for planning routes (at no cost other than donates if you wish).

Offline wood

• XR Member
  • Bike: BMW S1000XR
  • Town: Atlanta
Reply #19 on: May 04, 2021, 09:05:30 PM
I am actually trying to REMOVE the GPS mount totally from both my S1000XR and my wife's F900XR.

We use a device from SP-Connect that mounts on the handlebar and the phone mounts to it via a special phone case from SP-Connect.  Simply change the case on the phone - press the case to the mount - and rotate the case 90-degress to secure the "cog" in the case to the mount.  Tons of options.

We then use phone apps readily available verses the GPS.  I use the full Rever package to show movement and to send notices to my wife (if she is not with me) than I am riding, stopped, etc.  Other times I use Waze, Google Maps or whatever hits my fancy that day.

Check out SP-Connect.  They have mounts for bicycles, cars and so forth:  https://sp-connect.com/collections/motorbike.

I personally have grown to dislike my Garmin and HATE the Garmin planning software.

Enjoy what you have until it stops working for you and then upgrade if possible or change to something different.

Lee

dysfunctional