Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Gidday from Melbourne  (Read 2807 times)

Offline OzbimmerXR

• XR Member
  • Bike: BMW S 1000 XR
  • Town: Melbourne VIC
Gidday from Melbourne
« on: November 16, 2015, 09:40:47 AM »
Rode my mates XR solo about 3 weeks ago and loved everything except the vibes through the bars, it turned me against the XR enough to not want to purchase it.  That was until I rode the demo bike at the dealers last week, bit viby between 4 and 5 K but no where else and that was under all types of road conditions.....so I bought the demo, 2670 klms on the clock for those interested.

Had the wife on the back during the demo and we both fell in love with it what a great pillion bike, trading in a Blackbird that has been a great bike so the XR had a lot to live up to.  Bought the hamburger with the lot in racing red and can't wait to pick it up and give it a good fang solo and pillion.

I demo'd the KTM Super Adventure before the XR, good bike but the XR has the wow factor reminds me of my other mates Tuono the way it makes you feel.  Will give you all an update after we get to know one another.

Offline PJP

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR SE SPORT
  • Town: Worcester
Re: Gidday from Melbourne
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2015, 09:12:16 PM »
You will love it more and more each time you ride it, it's just the best bike. I had a Blackbird a few bikes ago, at that time it was ground breaking the XR in its own way is the same.

Out of interest what sort of cash is a very new second hand XR selling for in Oz, prices seem to vary hugely across various continents, it seems in the UK prices are not so bad  :400

Offline OzbimmerXR

• XR Member
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2015, 10:04:59 PM »
Hi PJP paid $29573.00 AUD but that has Touring package, Dynamic package, DRL, BMW luggage set, BMW Navigator 5 and a Radguard.  Only got $4K for the Bird but it needed a little work so happy to drop $$ and not have to worry, probably get about $6K - $7K on bikesales but would have to wait to find a buyer.

Agree the XR is a ground breaker, very comfy, good handling, all the mod cons.  Had to after market all that for the Bird, pulled all that off and will sell separately the Bird traded stock.  My mate loves his he migrated from a VFR 1200 to the XR he said he doesn't notice the vibes anymore.

Offline PJP

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR SE SPORT
  • Town: Worcester
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2015, 10:23:16 PM »
Sounds spot on, about £15k and with all the extras seems like you did a great deal.
The dreaded vibes are nothing, ride it as it was designed, ie: using that quick shifter and you won't have time to think about or even feel them. Various bar end weights seem to eradicate the problem if it bothers you according to the gents who have fitted them. Enjoy, you get great weather and have brilliant roads down under, cheers

Offline OzbimmerXR

• XR Member
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2015, 10:42:34 PM »
Love that quick shifter, might just have to book a track day down the Island and see how she compares to my K7 Gixer.  I don't think the vibes are going to be an issue on this bike.  Going for a ride up the high country start of Dec with the boys so will get a chance to try it out on all sorts of roads, looking forward to that.

Offline AussieJonathan

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Bayview, NSW, AU
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2015, 04:15:05 AM »
Hi
I did 8 days around Tasmania recently, two up with panniers and soft bag. I don't notice any vibes and using the cruise control helps keep the throttle hand sane after countless Kms on the Hume Highway. All in all about 3800 Kms with 900 Kms Sydney to Melbourne each way. Great trip and the bike was flawless - it did not notice the extra weight, just hammered the rear tyre on the Highway leaving the edges for Tasmania (seems fair).

Great bike that can do so many roles.

Cheers

Offline OzbimmerXR

• XR Member
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2015, 09:53:34 PM »
*Originally Posted by AussieJonathan [+]
Hi
I did 8 days around Tasmania recently, two up with panniers and soft bag. I don't notice any vibes and using the cruise control helps keep the throttle hand sane after countless Kms on the Hume Highway. All in all about 3800 Kms with 900 Kms Sydney to Melbourne each way. Great trip and the bike was flawless - it did not notice the extra weight, just hammered the rear tyre on the Highway leaving the edges for Tasmania (seems fair).

Great bike that can do so many roles.

That cruise control is a right wrist saver.  Looking forward to a Tassie trip with the XR some time soon only ever been down there in a car some great roads.

Cheers