Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: S1000XR no clutch !  (Read 4350 times)

Offline m0ng00se

• XR Junior
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Grays, Essex
S1000XR no clutch !
« on: November 16, 2015, 06:42:24 PM »
Hi Guys ..

Think it's my first post here. On my commute home tonight, through heavy traffic, I realised I had no clutch at all. Almost like the cable suddenly stretched a lot, lever is just flapping. Initially I thought the cable snapped, but it was still there, barely moving the "arm". I then noticed the pin that goes into the engine cover, which attaches to the "clutch arm", just pop up and can spin around, so manually pushing in that arm (as if the cable was pulling it) does not engage the clutch at all.

Was tricky filtering through heavy traffic and roudabouts without stopping   :021:

Wonder if anyone had a similar issue ? Obviously still under warranty, so going straight back to BMW.

Offline S1000XR

• Forum Help & Support
  • XR Pro
Re: S1000XR no clutch !
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2015, 12:02:08 AM »
Sorry to hear that, tell me it didn't happen in the london rush hour traffic  :005:

if so, pat on the back for limping home  :028:

If someone else has had the same problem then hopefully they will be able to give you some feedback  :821:

Offline m0ng00se

• XR Junior
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2015, 12:14:25 AM »
Luckily it happened on the A2 and not in London, but traffic was pretty much at a standstill, so I had to keep filtering to keep moving, hoping no idiot will suddenly change lanes which will force me to stop and then only two roundabouts to negotiate and time correctly so I enter without having to stop before I got home. SOS was here this evening and picked up the bike and will be dropping it off at the dealership tomorrow morning. will see what they say tomorrow.

Offline grnmtvt

• XR Pro
  • Town: Essex Junction
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2015, 03:26:00 AM »
Glad to hear that this didn't result in any injury to you! Certainly had the potential to. 
Do report back and let us know what the dealer says about this.
Meanwhile we'll all be checking the clutch cable at the engine entry location.
Many people ride.....but for a select group of people it's more than a ride....it's one of life's great passions.

Offline m0ng00se

• XR Junior
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2015, 10:29:15 AM »
Found this video and thread on a different forum .. exactly what happened to me. Looks like it might be the thrust lock nut on the clutch basket side, but yet to hear from the dealership:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkZBIXRLY6Y

http://www.s1000rrforum.com/forum/bmw-s1000rr-general-discussion/119106-clutch-will-not-engage-disengage.html

Offline m0ng00se

• XR Junior
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2015, 08:14:09 PM »
Got the bike back today, was exactly the problem as in the video and thread above. Thrust lock nut came loose inside the clutch basket. Good aftersales service though, picked up the bike, fixed it today and delivered the bike back to my home tonight. got a wash as well !

Offline grnmtvt

• XR Pro
  • Town: Essex Junction
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2015, 03:50:13 AM »
Good to hear it was something that simple to repair.  Thanks for posting this info!!   :305:
Many people ride.....but for a select group of people it's more than a ride....it's one of life's great passions.

Offline Bald Man

• XR Member
  • Bike: BMW S1000XR
  • Town: Jaffray BC
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2015, 07:59:49 PM »
Is this something that a person should ask the dealer to check? Would hate to be on a trip some where and have that happen.

dysfunctional