Author Topic: First Euro Trip? Get me started :)  (Read 10457 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

#40

Offline Winger

  • XR God
  • *****
  • Posts: 3430
  • Town: Birmingham
  • Country: gb
Re: First Euro Trip? Get me started :)
Reply #40 on: January 24, 2022, 09:08:13 AM
*Originally Posted by Mareng1 [+]
I think you have to have a level of optimism in this.



You are right 😀 our problem currently neither of us have it...

My darling wife who is way better at these things had trouble getting the App on our phones so printed the info, having spoken to friends who have travelled recently who had trouble with their phones said they were glad that they had also had a printed version, having said all that...the thought of being on a ferry for hours and hours still has little attraction for us, and see little chance of Le-Mans....the problem being...the Holyhead/Dublin for the NW200 will be the same in May and we are going no matter what 🤔

#41

Offline Mareng1

  • XR God
  • *****
  • Posts: 1429
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Cumbria
  • Country: gb
Re: First Euro Trip? Get me started :)
Reply #41 on: January 24, 2022, 06:54:43 PM
If you want a 2-location holiday - there is plenty of AirBnB accommodation with extremely favourable cancellation terms (100%ref up to day before stay in some instances)

But I have a fear that a house owner in France or Spain, faced with those conditions, might cancel a British booking late in the day in favour of a Schengen booking if travel restrictions look like biting.

In France and Spain last year, I noted that in restaurants and diners - presenting the staff with a vax paper certificate was enough for them - they barely glanced at it, probably surmising that a couple of old twats would be fully jabbed up.

The short ferry Portsmouth - Caen isn’t much of a chore, and the tunnel is even better.

I would recommend that in addition to Passport, EHIC/GHIC card, Bike policy, travel insurance, Breakdown insurance, that you add Vax certs, French Declaracion de Sanitaire to a google-drive account or Dropbox account as well as paper copies of them.

Share the access to the drive folder with either your travel companion/mates/someone back home - just in case.

[I think that (apart from committing to taking annual-leave) - you don’t have to commit too much money, to get a European holiday this year]

Follow me for more travel tips.  #Tours-R-Us.    :152:


#42

Offline Antares

  • XR Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 908
  • Bike: 2015 XR Sport SE
  • Town: Staines/Kirklees
  • Country: gb
Re: First Euro Trip? Get me started :)
Reply #42 on: January 25, 2022, 11:40:15 AM
Age old problem for me with hopping down to Europe is Ferry/tunnel cost, almost a 100 quid for a return trip. Whilst that in vacuum is not much, that's like 800 miles of riding here. If I'm gonna go to Europe I'm gonna do it properly, which means at least 1500 miles or so there and back, and even then the ferry is a large portion of the total holiday cost. It's just hard to justify going over to the mainland for 2 days when you can have a 5 day trip here for the same money. And conditions haven't been favourable for longer, week+ trips, at least for me personally.

#43

Offline af1-windy

  • XR Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 281
  • Bike: s1000xr
  • Town: Leeds
  • Country: gb
Re: First Euro Trip? Get me started :)
Reply #43 on: January 25, 2022, 12:16:23 PM
*Originally Posted by Antares [+]
Age old problem for me with hopping down to Europe is Ferry/tunnel cost, almost a 100 quid for a return trip. Whilst that in vacuum is not much, that's like 800 miles of riding here. If I'm gonna go to Europe I'm gonna do it properly, which means at least 1500 miles or so there and back, and even then the ferry is a large portion of the total holiday cost. It's just hard to justify going over to the mainland for 2 days when you can have a 5 day trip here for the same money. And conditions haven't been favourable for longer, week+ trips, at least for me personally.

I'm just putting a short trip together for June. My Brother and I are seasoned Hooners but we have 2 newbies, one new to bikes and one new to riding in Europe.. Same problem, the ride to the chunnel is pants..  :009:

Ferry is a much better option but we lose a days riding, others have work commitments and my Brother, Steve, has a Pub and a restaurant.

This is the outline plan;

Steve, looking at Thursday 9th June 2022 (could be very early train or Hull Ferry) Either way we need to be over there and hitting the road as early as poss Thursday morning.

Thursday 9th - Rotterdam or Calais to  Langres (this would mean Wednesday night sailing, you'd need to leave home late Wednesday afternoon, ferry sails at 8:30pm but you'd need to be there an hour before, at least.

If Calais on the train we could do with a hotel on the Wednesday night but this means a ride to Folkstone. If  we use the ferry, we have one day less to ride but the ferry is looing good.

Chunnel price is around £95/each , I'm hoping the ferry won't be much more for a cabin, 4 of us and 4 bikes, waiting for the quote to come through.

Friday 10th Langres to Annecy

Saturday 11th, free

Sunday 12th free

Monday 13th Annecy to ?

Tuesday 14th ? to Rotterdam.

Wednesday 15th Home before lunch.

Or Chunnel

Monday 13th free

Tuesday 14th Annecy to ?

Wednesday 15th Chunnel (ride home on same day) Arrive 8pm (ish)

What do you think?

Cheers.
"When I’m riding my motorcycle, I’m glad to be alive. When I stop riding my motorcycle, I’m glad to be alive" Neil Peart.

#44

Offline wessie

  • XR Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 582
  • Bike: 2016 XR SE Sport
  • Town: Cheltenham
  • Country: gb
Re: First Euro Trip? Get me started :)
Reply #44 on: January 25, 2022, 01:06:13 PM
*Originally Posted by af1-windy [+]
I'm just putting a short trip together for June. My Brother and I are seasoned Hooners but we have 2 newbies, one new to bikes and one new to riding in Europe.. Same problem, the ride to the chunnel is pants..  :009:

Ferry is a much better option but we lose a days riding, others have work commitments and my Brother, Steve, has a Pub and a restaurant.

This is the outline plan;

Steve, looking at Thursday 9th June 2022 (could be very early train or Hull Ferry) Either way we need to be over there and hitting the road as early as poss Thursday morning.

Thursday 9th - Rotterdam or Calais to  Langres (this would mean Wednesday night sailing, you'd need to leave home late Wednesday afternoon, ferry sails at 8:30pm but you'd need to be there an hour before, at least.

If Calais on the train we could do with a hotel on the Wednesday night but this means a ride to Folkstone. If  we use the ferry, we have one day less to ride but the ferry is looing good.

Chunnel price is around £95/each , I'm hoping the ferry won't be much more for a cabin, 4 of us and 4 bikes, waiting for the quote to come through.

Friday 10th Langres to Annecy

Saturday 11th, free

Sunday 12th free

Monday 13th Annecy to ?

Tuesday 14th ? to Rotterdam.

Wednesday 15th Home before lunch.

Or Chunnel

Monday 13th free

Tuesday 14th Annecy to ?

Wednesday 15th Chunnel (ride home on same day) Arrive 8pm (ish)

What do you think?

Cheers.

an alternative ferry is from Portsmouth to Caen (Ouistreham actually) - distance to Langres is similar to the tunnel.

Timetable here https://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/map/timetables?port=GBPME&dp=GBPME&ap=FROUI&date=1643115544281&flex=30&p=1

Later departure at 2245, so more time to travel tot he port. Overnight on the boat and booted off around 7am the following morning so ride for 90 mins then stop for breakfast.

If you are willing to ride 500 miles in a day on a motorway, you can be in Annecy without an overnight stop. Google maps says 8 hours riding so say 10 hours with fuel and rest stops. You would be there by 5pm!

#45

Offline af1-windy

  • XR Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 281
  • Bike: s1000xr
  • Town: Leeds
  • Country: gb
Re: First Euro Trip? Get me started :)
Reply #45 on: January 25, 2022, 02:16:04 PM
*Originally Posted by wessie [+]
an alternative ferry is from Portsmouth to Caen (Ouistreham actually) - distance to Langres is similar to the tunnel.

Timetable here https://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/map/timetables?port=GBPME&dp=GBPME&ap=FROUI&date=1643115544281&flex=30&p=1

Later departure at 2245, so more time to travel tot he port. Overnight on the boat and booted off around 7am the following morning so ride for 90 mins then stop for breakfast.

If you are willing to ride 500 miles in a day on a motorway, you can be in Annecy without an overnight stop. Google maps says 8 hours riding so say 10 hours with fuel and rest stops. You would be there by 5pm!

It's the journey South on the Motorway that I'm trying to avoid.. well, it's not so bad heading out cos you're all excited for the Hoon but coming back to Blighty after a week in Europe is proper shite..  :086:

I'm in East Leeds, just 3 miles from the M1 >>> M62 Hull in less than an hour, I have a Son in Hull so if I'm early I can call in for a coffee and a chat  :028:

Looks good on paper but in reality it can be a pain for us Northerners.. cheers for the input though, in fairness I hadn't considered that route..  :084:  :028:

 :821: windy
"When I’m riding my motorcycle, I’m glad to be alive. When I stop riding my motorcycle, I’m glad to be alive" Neil Peart.

#46

Offline af1-windy

  • XR Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 281
  • Bike: s1000xr
  • Town: Leeds
  • Country: gb
Re: First Euro Trip? Get me started :)
Reply #46 on: January 25, 2022, 02:35:25 PM
*Originally Posted by Harry H [+]

If you've got a good week do the Route Des Grand Alps. Starts in Monaco up through the Alps via god knows how many passes and ends in Geneva then home. Excellent stuff.


Jeezus H, I know you never take a map or plan a route but we actually did it the other way...  :008: :008: :008:

"When I’m riding my motorcycle, I’m glad to be alive. When I stop riding my motorcycle, I’m glad to be alive" Neil Peart.

#47

Offline Mab1067

  • XR Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 203
  • Bike: 2020 S1000XR
  • Town: PETERHEAD
  • Country: gb
Re: First Euro Trip? Get me started :)
Reply #47 on: January 25, 2022, 03:59:18 PM
You want to try living in North East Scotland.
Absolute nightmare to get anywhere. Last time we set off for Portsmouth. All day drive picking up the rest of the guys on the way. Overnight before Ferry to Santander. Couple of hours to Llanes on North Coast. What we did on this trip was to rent a villa for a week and do 250 to 350 mile routes 3 day on 1 day off and 3 days again. Best holiday ever as not rushing to get to a hotel every night.

Then 2 days to ravel home  :112: :152:

No Ferry to Europe from Scotland at all these days. Been like that for years. Crap to say the least.

#48

Offline wessie

  • XR Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 582
  • Bike: 2016 XR SE Sport
  • Town: Cheltenham
  • Country: gb
Re: First Euro Trip? Get me started :)
Reply #48 on: January 25, 2022, 07:15:01 PM
*Originally Posted by af1-windy [+]
It's the journey South on the Motorway that I'm trying to avoid.. well, it's not so bad heading out cos you're all excited for the Hoon but coming back to Blighty after a week in Europe is proper shite..  :086:

I'm in East Leeds, just 3 miles from the M1 >>> M62 Hull in less than an hour, I have a Son in Hull so if I'm early I can call in for a coffee and a chat  :028:

Looks good on paper but in reality it can be a pain for us Northerners.. cheers for the input though, in fairness I hadn't considered that route..  :084:  :028:

 :821: windy

Rotterdam is a dreadful place to start a trip on the continent but I get what you are saying. I'm only 2 hours from Portsmouth so often take that option as I can finish work then ride to the port to get an overnight boat. It's a shame they have stopped the Économie service to Le Havre.

#49

Offline af1-windy

  • XR Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 281
  • Bike: s1000xr
  • Town: Leeds
  • Country: gb
Re: First Euro Trip? Get me started :)
Reply #49 on: January 25, 2022, 08:38:20 PM
*Originally Posted by wessie [+]
Rotterdam is a dreadful place to start a trip on the continent but I get what you are saying. I'm only 2 hours from Portsmouth so often take that option as I can finish work then ride to the port to get an overnight boat. It's a shame they have stopped the Économie service to Le Havre.

We did it in 2019 when we went to Croatia, first stop, Stuttgart.. I don't recall it being so bad..  :084:

 :821: windy
"When I’m riding my motorcycle, I’m glad to be alive. When I stop riding my motorcycle, I’m glad to be alive" Neil Peart.

 



dysfunctional