Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Bren Tuning - any body done this  (Read 606 times)

woody and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline tonylynn570

• XR Junior
  • Bike: S1000 XR
  • Town: Colchester
Bren Tuning - any body done this
« on: August 10, 2019, 10:21:39 AM »
https://brentuningmoto.com/product/2017-2019-bmw-s1000rr-r-xr-stage-1-ecu-flash/

Good morning Fellow XR owners, had brecko, and was rambling around the inter-web and was checking out Bren Tuning, any body done this mode, and I would imagine BMW would say, your on your own warranty wise - interested on views, also trying to get my simple head around the technology, if anyone knows where I can get a understanding of how this all works that would be great. Thank you in advance, just wondering whether to go out for ride given the bloody wind.

Thank you - Tony

Online RyanGTXR

• XR Pro
  • Bike: KTM 1290 GT
  • Town: Notts
Re: Bren Tuning - any body done this
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2019, 10:29:40 AM »
Cuban rider has recently added a Bren tuning unit to his XR. Check his vids on youtube

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2019, 12:23:29 PM »
Simple question but sadly a long winded answer.

All motorcycles have to conform to the TUV so even it you can’t feel it there is a hole in all bike fuel maps where the TUV do their test.

Cuban has been on quite a journey trying to fill that hole in the fuel map with various devices which should all still be on YouTube he started with a Booster Plug then a Rapid Bike and now the Bren Tuning all show wheelie and  fancy hand work off the bars  :002:

I’ll bypass HillTop because in recent months the TreeTop group have completely debunked him.

So that leaves either a piggyback option like the Rapidbike or Power Commander or a direct map blown into the ECU.

The two companies that do direct mapping are Rexxer here in Europe or BrenTuning in the States.

Where it gets a touch complicated i’ve Always been told never buy a PC from the States with their spec because they use so much more ethanol so I guess you could apply the same logic to BrenTuning assuming it is true the only real way to find out is buy one and try it .
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 12:37:18 PM by Winger »

Offline jfnz

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2019 BMW S1000XR
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2019, 03:41:19 AM »
Biggest question is, what year is your bike? Up until 2017 bikes have their ECU easily unlocked. The later bikes do not, hence the requirement for a piggyback module (aside from BrenTuning, read below).

I have a new bike and I've been in discussion BrenTuning around their stage 2 flash as I had a bunch of questions vs. the PowerCommander. They're very helpful. Here's a summary:

As you've probably found out, these new ECUs fight the piggybacks. We can directly flash the ECU. Answers to your questions are in bold below.

• Have you found a way around this? Is your stage 2 a full flash in the same way the earlier models are tuned? Yes we can directly flash the ECU. We will need the ECU shipped to us in order to flash it.
  • Will your programming be overwritten if the dealer does an update during servicing? Yes, if the dealer updates the ECU it will wipe the flash off and require the ECU to be shipped back to us in order to put the tune back on. We just ask to cover our tech's time to reflash the ECU.
  • Is there a physical module that needs to be installed or do you modify the factory ECU itself? We modify the programing in the ECU itself. No wiring. No extra modules needing to be fixed to the bike. Plug and play.
  • Whats the easiest way for us to deal with the fact that I'm in New Zealand? Express International shipping? I don't really want to be without a bike for a couple of weeks or more (especially if there's a wait once you recieve the ECU). We need the ECU shipped to us, no handheld at this time. Working on it but no ETA. Once we receive the ECU we typically turn it around same day if we get it in the AM on a business day.
  • When you say your map is tuned for the various fuel qualities, does this mean I can still temporarily run the bike on 95RON fuel if, for example I'm out on a ride and unable to find 98RON? We can map the low end tables for 95RON and have it be able to adapt to 98RON or a race fuel of your choice. You just need the mark on the order form we send you what fuels you want the mapping built for.
  • The Stage2 page says it can be run in addition to a PowerCommander -- what would be the reason for this if your map can address all parameters the OEM ECU is able to? We can do it this way, but really not needed as we can tune the fuel pretty close with the ECU. If you want to be in control of your fuel curve on your own we can set it up for a piggy back. But again that's really old school way of doing things on a very modern and smart ECU.
  • If I decided I wanted a dyno tune to further refine the mappings (e.g. specific to my bike/the fuel available in New Zealand, etc.) is there a way my local dyno tuner can interface with the ECU after your work to adjust the mappings as required? We do not offer any end user adjustable mapping. We handle all of it.

Then in another email:

• What is the difference between Stage1 and Stage2 tunes for the XR? In brief. The Stage 1 mapping is a very simple limiter removal and fueling touch up. Stage 2 we dive deeper into the ECU and enhance the timing.
    On your website I see stage 1 requires not only the ECU, but the gauge cluster and ignition, etc. -- is this the case for stage 2 as well? With the XR it is just the ECU. With the 2017-2019 (US model years) S1000RRs we need the cluster, key, ect. Thanks for bringing this to my attention I will have the webguy update the page when he's back in.
  • I note that the page for stage2 says that I need a GS-911 tool to receive the reported gains. The tool isn't exactly cheap, what happens if I don't have it? Not needed on the 2019 bikes, web guy goofed will have him update when he's back from vacation.
  • Do you have any active discount coupon I could add to my order? I'd love to share the results of this with the S1000XR forums over the benefits of the PC5 if all goes well. We do not have any sales running at this time.
  • Does the Sprint filter and IAT make a significant difference to the map you apply to the bike, or is it really just eking out any final optimisations? I'm picking the de-restricted exhaust and the ECU variables have by far the biggest impact and price:performance benefits. No mapping changed needed with the Sprint/IAT. The Sprint filter is good for 3-5hp. And the IAT relocated moves the sensor out from a heatsoak prone location, this keeps readings consistent and true. Which means more consistent power.

Hopefully that helps you too.

Offline jfnz

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2019 BMW S1000XR
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2019, 03:42:32 AM »
And to elaborate on my last post, if you have an early model bike you can just buy their tuning module and flash it yourself. No need to take your ECU you and physically send it to them (i.e. no downtime).

Offline Dan

• XR Junior
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Worcs
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2019, 09:27:18 AM »
I saw a post on Facebook from Bren indicating they now offer handhelds for updating the ecu for the latest S1000 models. You no longer need to ship ecu, ignition etc to Bren. I'll be putting an order in when they next have a sale.

Offline Winger

• XR God
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2019, 11:59:21 AM »
I tried going the reflash route with my K1200 but the TUV have changed the rules yet again and the only real way is piggyback and even that isn’t straight forward.

I bought I secondhand PC for my X/R the bike it came off had the same spec as mine headers etc and still wasn’t right when mine was on the dyno and needed some fettling hence why i’m Not convinced about buying a generic map with the one size fits all approach way too go many variables.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 12:00:20 PM by Winger »

Offline smithy

• XR Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Brisvegas.
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2019, 10:31:03 PM »
What Winger said....most piggyback or ECU flashes etc will get you in the ballpark, but they all need fine tuning to get the best out of them. The companies who sell them don't know what altitudes or temperatures you normally ride in and no two bikes are the same....so a little fine tuning is to be expected.
I have a Rapid Bike EVO module, Arrow headers and Delkevic end can, the map supplied by Rapid Bike was close but still needed a bit of fiddling to get it how l liked it. I fitted my own wideband O2 sensor and guage to keep tabs on what was actually happening, a few minor adjustments here and there made all the difference.

My bike is now smoother at all throttle settings, pulls harder in the mid-range and the top end is now manic....and economy is good, l commute to work mainly on motorways and l often see 340km+ out of a tank, with averages of 5.1L/100km.
Real riding on real roads still sees in excess of 300km per tank.

Smithy.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 10:32:15 PM by smithy »
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline Winger

• XR God
« Reply #8 on: Yesterday at 07:38:01 PM »
Back on the treadmill December when the warranty runs out on the GT so it’s a decat/PC/various dongles to stop all the complaints on the dash and then off to the dyno.

dysfunctional