Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: New shock time  (Read 607 times)

Offline Paganman

• XR Junior
  • Bike: S1000XR
Re: New shock time
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2019, 05:56:36 PM »
Had a very interesting chat with a chap from Revs suspension today, reference the Wilburs options.
As well as the WESA shock they do a manual shock which they will provide a resistor for to avoid the ESA tripping a warning on the clocks.
This has high and low speed compression damping, rebound damping and a remote preload adjuster. There's even the option for a black shock body and multiple spring colour choices.
I think I'll be ordering the manual one tomorrow, once I've weighed myself with kit on, luggage etc.
Very impressed with Rev's knowledge of ESA related stuff, but for what I need the non ESA makes more sense.

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2019, 06:12:33 PM »
There is already a thread on here about the Wilbers shock I have had on mine for some time supplied by Revs.

Offline jakebake

• XR Member
  • Bike: s1000xr
  • Town: warwick
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2019, 06:52:52 PM »
*Originally Posted by bazzer [+]
Yep I can see the tell tale signs of lack of rebound on the edge of the tread on my tyres.

So really interested in how you guys get on.

hope its not a dumb question  :034: but what are the tell tale signs on the edge of the tyre ?

Offline Winger

• XR God
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2019, 07:54:24 PM »
This is mine I didn't want the preload attached to the footpeg and went a different route(literally) its ok but a bit of a faff and needs to be taken off and fiddled with!!! a job for the winter  :001:

Offline Paganman

• XR Junior
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2019, 07:55:58 PM »
*Originally Posted by Winger [+]
There is already a thread on here about the Wilbers shock I have had on mine for some time supplied by Revs.
I'm struggling to find the thread, would you mind sending me a link?
Thanks in advance & sorry for being an i.t numpty.

Offline Winger

• XR God
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2019, 08:13:08 PM »
I can’t find the dam thing either  :012: i’m No ESA fan and somewhere there’s a long winded thread about when i bought my K1200(which I still have) also with Wilbers.

There are no end of threads on the K sites about pulling the ESA and going aftermarket sus,how you guys are going to get on is anyone’s guess pulling the rear shock and fitting a dongle is one thing what about the front forks??? How are they going to work? I’ve no doubt there is a solution just a matter of you trail blazers finding out.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 08:15:36 PM by Winger »

Online SimonUK

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR,S1000R
  • Town: Upstate, SC
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2019, 10:42:26 PM »
*Originally Posted by SimonUK [+]
I am getting a Tractive rear shock, built for my weight and riding style that uses the OEM ESA components. AFAIK, Tractive are the company that initially developed the ESA systems for BMW.

Also getting the Tractive cartridge for the left fork and installing Hyperpro heavier springs (up front). I am a little on the 'hefty' side in full gear!!

Offline Winger

• XR God
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2019, 09:29:14 AM »
*Originally Posted by SimonUK [+]
I am a little on the 'hefty' side in full gear!!

Comes as no surprise when we went to California found out the national past time is eating we were cockahoop when we found a coffee shop that sold cakes that were not the size of a dinner plate and coffee in a cup not a bucket  :001:

Offline Paganman

• XR Junior
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2019, 10:16:54 AM »
*Originally Posted by Winger [+]
There are no end of threads on the K sites about pulling the ESA and going aftermarket sus,how you guys are going to get on is anyone’s guess pulling the rear shock and fitting a dongle is one thing what about the front forks??? How are they going to work? I’ve no doubt there is a solution just a matter of you trail blazers finding out.

Anderani do an adjustable cartridge kit for the XR forks. Just need to work out how to disable the ESA?
I’ll leave that for after I’ve done the shock though, to allow my savings to recover.  :164:

Offline Wonger

• XR Pro
  • Bike: '18 S1000XR
  • Town: Fayetteville, GA
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2019, 02:06:51 PM »
*Originally Posted by jakebake [+]
hope its not a dumb question  :034: but what are the tell tale signs on the edge of the tyre ?

This is very simplified, but a raised lip on the leading edge of a groove is a lack of rebound damping.
Raised lip on the trailing edge is lack of compression damping. (both high speed)
Lack of low speed damping shows a little different as well as geometry settings and tire pressure/ temperature issues as other things. Subscribe to Dave Moss, drink a few beers and kill and afternoon learning about it and write it down. It's a nice tool to have in your back pocket for getting your bike set up for you and your riding. Two people on the same bike, even running a similar pace can require drastically set-ups.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 02:08:14 PM by Wonger »