Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Low chassis ground clearance.  (Read 607 times)

Offline fozz

• XR Member
  • Bike: s1000 xr se
  • Town: Somerset
Low chassis ground clearance.
« on: August 30, 2019, 07:16:57 AM »
Spent last weekend in Wales riding two up with luggage and riding through a series of twisty corners managed to touch the center stand down for the first time ever.
It was enough to make the bike jump off line which was a bit scary!,although the sparks looked impressive according to my mate who was following :008:.
My dealer told me that the ESA settings were set by up by Bmw for the heavier than average rider so i always ride in two up mode when im two up with luggage.
My bike is a factory low chassis which im guessing will affect ground clearance compared to a standard bike?
Any one else had any issues? or do i need to remove stand?

Offline Big Dog

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Lake Country
Re: Low chassis ground clearance.
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2019, 03:09:14 PM »
I have a 2016 XR the was lowered with Soupys links. Ive never touched down any hard parts of the bike, but have ground down the toe sliders on my alpine star boots. I’m quite sure I could lean further, but for street riding that’s far enough for me.

Offline fclark00

• XR Junior
  • Bike: BMW s1000xr
  • Town: Virginia
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2019, 06:33:31 PM »
I have the lowered version too and I've never touched the center stand even with riding pretty aggressively but I lean off in corners like I would with a sportbike. I can get the tires all the way to the edge and my knee on the ground without touching any part of the bike.

Offline BobW

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Wirral
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2019, 07:32:40 PM »
*Originally Posted by Big Dog [+]
I have a 2016 XR the was lowered with Soupys links. Ive never touched down any hard parts of the bike.....

How low is your Soupy’s set to?
Bear in mind, the Factory Lowered is -50mm.

Offline Big Dog

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Lake Country
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2019, 09:36:59 PM »
My stock bike is standard height. It was lowered 1.25 inches. I feel no difference in the handling of the bike.

David

Online RyanGTXR

• XR Pro
  • Bike: KTM 1290 GT
  • Town: Notts
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2019, 10:01:22 AM »
*Originally Posted by BobW [+]
How low is your Soupy’s set to?
Bear in mind, the Factory Lowered is -50mm.

The factory lowered bike is - 50mm seat height but not all on the suspension, About 1 1/2 inch on suspension and half inch on seat

Offline BobW

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Wirral
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2019, 03:12:53 PM »
*Originally Posted by RyanGTXR [+]
The factory lowered bike is - 50mm seat height but not all on the suspension, About 1 1/2 inch on suspension and half inch on seat

Thanks Ryan, I currently use the HP High seat which is far better than the standard, but +15mm. 
I’ve ordered the Soupy’s kit, and plan to set it at -25mm, with -28mm drop in the forks to level the bike.  This will take it to 10mm below standard bike & seat, making it more manageable  :062:
Another thought is that mine would be just 20mm taller than the combination of Factory Lowered and HP seat.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2019, 03:16:44 PM by BobW »

dysfunctional