Theme Select

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: Euro 4 exhaust, stock headers: different sound with Akrapovic euro 4?  (Read 4073 times)

Offline Remo83

• XR Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: S1000XR 3B
  • Town: Leuven
Hi,

I know there are plenty of threads on exhausts, but I can't seem to find information about the sound of the Akrapovic OEM euro 4 exhaust.
If I go to their website, I honestly don't hear a lot of difference. I also went to the dealer and heard the Akra on a S1000R (but only till about 3K rpm, as the engine was cold) and couldn't hear any difference either.
I don't want to spend a 1000 £/1100 € and then come to the conclusion I just bought a nicer looking (opinions differ) and lighter exhaust, that makes no difference sound wise whatsoever.
I had the same issue with the Akra I bought for my GF's SV 650. It made almost no difference and you can't pull the baffle easily anymore.
Is it the same with this expensive toy?
Because of my extended warranty, I can't go for other headers or PC or other stuff and I don't want it louder, it's plenty loud as it is now in high revs.
I would just like a deeper sound.
If the Akra does this, fine, if not, it's just an extra, expensive logo on my motorcycle I don't care about.
I will consider taking out the acoustics pipes in front of the air filter, but even that will probably void warranty. My dealer already gave me a hard time over the installation of the ABM senso levers and the evotech performance bar end weights. He wasn't fond of my Wunderlich dual usb's either...
As a second question, is there any way to get the exhaust pop in road mode?

Thanks in advance for your feedback,

Remo
Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 11:19:18 AM by Remo83

Offline Mibridger

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Dunkeswell
Hi,

I have a 2017 XR
I too had the same questions, I went for a used Akrapovic end can, cost me half the price of new, you will see them on here in the for sale area for around half price.
There is not a big difference in the sound with the end can, maybe if you remove the db killer it will be louder, but if you want the full noise, you need the full system.
So, I then decided to get the header and mid pipe as well, and had an ECU remap.
I will say that the full system is loud and will make your ears ring on a long ride, so be sure to wear earplugs, but you should be anyway.

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
I’m a great believer in Akrapovic and think they really do make the best exhaust systems but I could never get past the fact the end can had been hit with the ugly stick and went MIVV not exactly a looker either but not too loud in fact not very loud at all but works very well with the Akra headers and  helped by a PC,

Offline advr6

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Burlington
I got a used Akra for my 2017 bike as well.  Took out the baffle but not a huge difference in sound.

Popping noise only in the dynamic modes on my bike.

Offline smithy

• XR God
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Brisvegas.
Unless you fit headers, the sound won't change a great deal from stock no matter what muffler you fit. Most of the "mufflering" is done in the cats.

Smithy.
Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 11:10:06 PM by smithy
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline Remo83

• XR Pro
  • Topic Author
*Originally Posted by smithy [+]
Unless you fit headers, the sound won't change a great deal from stock no matter what muffler you fit. Most of the "mufflering" is done in the cats.

Smithy.

Thx Smithy,

since the headers aren't an option if I want to keep my 5 year warranty, I'll stick to OEM then. The sound is great, I just wish it had a little more bass.
then again, to doddle around, I'll buy a V twin or a parallel twin with a smaller engine and put another silencer on it. All the big EURO 4 machines get too hot in traffic and warmer weather to be bearable.
In the mean time, I'll just use my GF's SV 650 for that.

Thank you all for the feedback.

Remo83

Offline smithy

• XR God
*Originally Posted by advr6 [+]
Popping noise only in the dynamic modes on my bike.

Popping noise is only in Dynamic modes on all XR's.. :001:

Smithy.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline smithy

• XR God
*Originally Posted by Remo83 [+]
Thx Smithy,

since the headers aren't an option if I want to keep my 5 year warranty, Remo83

Well that isn't entirely true, they can only refuse warranty if the headers themselves are the cause of the "warrantable fault"..... For example.....It's a bit silly for BMW to deny warranty on a bike with faulty brakes and then blame it on the non-standard exhaust headers... :084: The law will be on your side.

Smithy.

Offline Remo83

• XR Pro
  • Topic Author
Hi Smithy,

as the headers do not have a Euro 4 certification (no cat), the bike wouldn't even  be street legal, let alone have any warranty over here in Europe.
Strictly legally speaking, I wouldn't even have insurance coverage.

All the best,

RM

Offline smithy

• XR God
*Originally Posted by Remo83 [+]
Hi Smithy,

as the headers do not have a Euro 4 certification (no cat), the bike wouldn't even  be street legal, let alone have any warranty over here in Europe.
Strictly legally speaking, I wouldn't even have insurance coverage. All the best, RM

That's rather disappointing, here in most states of Aus we can pretty much do anything to our bikes we like...and the law is on your side as regards warranty etc...
For the first 5 years they don't even need to be inspected for a roadworthy certificate.

Smithy.