Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Spirited riding mode  (Read 820 times)

Offline uk2sa2aus

• XR Junior
  • Bike: ‘17 1000xr
  • Town: Sydney
Spirited riding mode
« on: September 17, 2019, 09:03:27 AM »
Had my first long ride on the XR this weekend. Did 1200 Kms over 2 days. 
Rode with a group of around 8 guys who were all well seasoned vets and the pace was pretty quick.
On the long straights and long fast corners the XR handled beautiful and I was able to stay with the group. On the slower tighter corners and bumpy / rough roads I didn’t feel as confident and always ended up falling way back.

I had the bike initially in road mode and eventuality changed to dynamic.  I didn’t try dynamic pro as I thought this may remove T/C ?

What extra would I get with dynamic pro mode?

For fast  but controlled riding what mode do you recommend?

Offline wessie

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2016 XR SE Sport
  • Town: Cheltenham
Re: Spirited riding mode
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2019, 09:14:26 AM »
are you adjusting the suspension as well as the engine mode?

On bumpy roads you might actually be quicker in road mode for engine and suspension as the bike will soak up the bumps meaning you are less stressed.

Going faster is not about the bike settings mostly, unless you are a top grade racer looking for the last 10th of a second. It's all about the rider's technique and confidence.

If you want to be faster, and also safer, on the road, invest in some advanced training.

Offline smithy

• XR God
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Brisvegas.
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2019, 10:12:44 AM »
What Wessie said.....I also use "Road" suspension mode when the surface is less than good....Dynamic and Dynamic Pro doesn't turn off the ABS & T/C, but they do progressively lessen the intrusion of it. You can also turn either or both of them off if you so choose.

I ride with a bunch of what I would call "seasoned" RR Riders and unless we're on a track I can stay with them will relative ease on my XR. On a track the extra 35HP and ~30kg less weight will see the RR gone on the straights. The XR is a very capable road going carving machine....! If you find you're not too comfortable on the corners, maybe a good set of "stickier" tyres my help....However, I've found most decent S/T tyres these days are usually better than most riders, myself included.

I run Michelin Road 5 on the rear and Power RS on the front and can't fault them on most public roads. On the track they're also surprisingly good. Unless you're Carl Fogarty or Valentino Rossi et-al, you'll be stretching it to stress most tyres on the public roads.

Smithy. 
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline Dutch

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
  • Town: NorthernMichigan
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2019, 12:36:04 PM »
The spring preload settings make the most difference in how the bike feels in lower speed/technical roads to me.
My bike pretty much stays in the "rider with bags" mode while riding solo.

Offline bazzer

• XR Master
  • Town: Waterlooville
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2019, 08:09:06 AM »
*Originally Posted by Dutch [+]
The spring preload settings make the most difference in how the bike feels in lower speed/technical roads to me.
My bike pretty much stays in the "rider with bags" mode while riding solo.

Thats what I used to do, I have dropped the front and now user the standard one up rider mode. Though I am considering going back to standard ride height front and like you more preload to raise the rear a bit.

Edited to add, strangely I find it the opposite with my current setup, slow speed really tight stuff the bike is great (slightly slower getting it turned than really really light bikes, so a little later getting back on power, but marginal)  However I do find with the front dropped the high speed stability is slightly reduced making it feel a bit nervous. Though this is made worse when the front tyre is near the end of its life and is a lot better when its new.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 08:12:58 AM by bazzer »

Offline 2Bears

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2019 S1000XR
  • Town: Indiana
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2019, 10:19:54 AM »
Smithy, does the Power RS on the front last as long as the Road 5 on the rear?

Offline smithy

• XR God
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Brisvegas.
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2019, 11:54:59 PM »
*Originally Posted by 2Bears [+]
Smithy, does the Power RS on the front last as long as the Road 5 on the rear? /quote]

Very close to 1:1 at a guess, l've done about 5k km on them so far and they're still good.

Smithy.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

dysfunctional