Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Bust radiator after less than 24 hr  (Read 1692 times)

Offline PaulS1000XR

• XR Master
  • Few things in life are as perfect as my XR.
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Worcester, UK
Re: Bust radiator after less than 24 hr
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2019, 04:58:30 PM »
Had 3 XR's and done 50K miles without rad guards or any issues. Maybe I have been lucky. There again - I dont ride too close to other vehicles, including other bikes in front unless I am going to overtake them  :305:
« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 04:59:26 PM by PaulS1000XR »
PSH

Online Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2019, 04:58:58 PM »
Assuming the OP chips in at some i’d Be interested to hear what made him change from a 1290 Adventurer to an X/R from a practical point of view not normal biased ‘It’s better’ different most certainly but better?? Blimey that would be a stretch.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 04:59:32 PM by Winger »

Offline orbits

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2019, 07:43:25 PM »
OP - that is just rotten luck to be fair, though I’d recommend improving your chances next time by fitting rad guards.

Mally has a good point - you asked, dealer advised against, rad screwed, isn’t a bad argument to put to them for a bit of help with the cost but they’ll cite rotten luck too I imagine.

The invalidated warranty line is likely bollocks, at least for most claims. It’s only going to be something cooling related, or a leaky rad they could argue might be caused by guards. If that happens take the guards off first!

The RRG ones have a nice open mesh, fit relatively easy and are only £35ish so I went with them.  Good luck.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 07:44:42 PM by orbits »

Offline Roughcut

• XR Junior
  • Bike: S1000xr rc8
  • Town: Airdrie
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2019, 12:32:02 AM »
*Originally Posted by Winger [+]
That’s just bad luck and i’m Not saying that as one of the many biased X/R owners because i’m One of at least 3 on here that own a KTM as well so yea i’m Suprised at the sales guy saying no radguard!! Surprised you holed a rad that quickly!!and surprised you went two and a half years and never put a spanner on your KTM  :001:
I have had a rc8 from 2009 , 66 plate super advent t from new and  a 67 plate superduke gt from new ( too small but absolute weapon 😀) and never had any bother with them , toured to Austria on super adventure with my son and full luggage and bike was faultless loads of torque/ power and cruised effortlessly at speed , I just fancied a change to an in-line 4 , if superduke didn’t feel as though you are sitting on it rather than in it I don’t think I would have changed , that’s what attracted me to the X-ray  also a better seating position,
Roughcut

Online Winger

• XR God
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2019, 03:11:03 PM »
Well i’m Glad to see i’m Not the only multi bike lunatic on here and the more I get my head around the GT the more impressed I am just wished a non electric sus option was out there like my X/R but hey ho....

Offline Roughcut

• XR Junior
  • Bike: S1000xr rc8
  • Town: Airdrie
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2019, 06:36:08 PM »
The gt and X r are being touted to people used to sports bikes as both of them are stupidly fast ( gt faster especially out of a corner ) but bm a lot smoother , I wouldn’t fancy touring two up with full luggage on either of them unless you and passenger are built Lila racing snakes 🐍😀 Ktm components far superior to bmw ie suspension / levers /sprockets / chain etc but only 2 yr warranty on Ktm also Ktm slash prices normally December/ January and this must piss off people who pay top dollar in the summer but if looking for a deal best look at these times as I got both super adventure (11k) and gt (11k) for great deals , lost £300 when I sold gt (900mls on clock and got £10550 trading 66 plate super adventure in for 69 plate X-r sport se so I can’t fault Ktm just liked a change
Roughcut

Offline Randy98199

• XR Junior
  • Bike: 2019 S1000XR
  • Town: Seattle
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2019, 08:44:01 PM »
I ordered the Givi guards before my bike arrived and fitted them the first day. At the 600 mile service the tech noticed and said good job having them covered right away as they see unprotected ones get punctured regularly. No mention of warranty concerns.
2019 S1000XR Triple Black

Online Winger

• XR God
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2019, 10:36:55 AM »
*Originally Posted by Roughcut [+]
The gt and X r are being touted to people used to sports bikes as both of them are stupidly fast ( gt faster especially out of a corner ) but bm a lot smoother , I wouldn’t fancy touring two up with full luggage on either of them unless you and passenger are built Lila racing snakes 🐍😀 Ktm components far superior to bmw ie suspension / levers /sprockets / chain etc but only 2 yr warranty on Ktm also Ktm slash prices normally December/ January and this must piss off people who pay top dollar in the summer but if looking for a deal best look at these times as I got both super adventure (11k) and gt (11k) for great deals , lost £300 when I sold gt (900mls on clock and got £10550 trading 66 plate super adventure in for 69 plate X-r sport se so I can’t fault Ktm just liked a change

Put RRG guards on virtually the day I bought the bike and that will be 4 years early next year.

As for the KTM we have no problem getting on ours but neither of us are rotund  :002: and currently the only bike I/we own that I haven't thought about aftermarket wheels which is some serious recommendation....

« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 10:40:18 AM by Winger »

Online bazzer

• XR Master
  • Town: Waterlooville
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2019, 10:45:14 AM »
Some cracking deals on 2018 GT's around again now. I am pretty tempted. Just don't like the daft panniers and I am not sure it will be as comfy on super long days as the XR.

Online Winger

• XR God
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2019, 12:57:18 PM »
We don’t do panniers well not for the last 30 years anyway  :002: and can still go on the road for two weeks with just 60l soft bag and a tank bag.

Re the two bikes jeez i’d Be typing forever they come from two completely different angles and it’s like comparing 3x2 as opposed to 2x3 and swapping one for the other best of luck hence why I/we have both.