Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: XR Plastics  (Read 1069 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline PaulS1000XR

  • XR Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 660
  • Country: england
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Worcester, UK
XR Plastics
« on: September 28, 2019, 10:46:39 AM »
Is it my imagination, or are the plastics on the later XR's getting thinner and not as well fitting?
Looking at my 2019 XR, the plastics don't seem as good as on my previous 2015 and 2017 XR's - a bit thinner, more flexible and definitively more rattlier.
What do you think?  :305:
PSH

Offline Holly

  • XR Junior
  • *
  • Posts: 13
Re: XR Plastics
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2019, 09:31:45 PM »
Mine aswell I have the triple black

Offline smithy

  • XR God
  • *****
  • Posts: 1070
  • Country: au
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Brisvegas.
Re: XR Plastics
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2019, 01:13:06 AM »
Mine doesn't have any plastics on it anymore... :152:

Smithy.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 04:56:24 AM by smithy »
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline runnerhiker

  • XR Member
  • **
  • Posts: 17
  • Country: us
  • Bike: '19 S1000XR
  • Town: Niwot CO USA
Re: XR Plastics
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2019, 06:41:57 AM »
my 2019 XR is my first XR so I can't comment to previous years' comparison.  But in general, I would be in favor of thinner plastic (less weight)

Offline Winger

  • XR God
  • *****
  • Posts: 2140
  • Country: gb
  • Town: Birmingham
Re: XR Plastics
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2019, 07:16:35 AM »
*Originally Posted by smithy [+]
Mine doesn't have any plastics on it anymore... :152:

Smithy.

That made me smile  :001: you done the real panels as well ?

Offline smithy

  • XR God
  • *****
  • Posts: 1070
  • Country: au
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Brisvegas.
Re: XR Plastics
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2019, 11:27:42 AM »
*Originally Posted by Winger [+]
That made me smile  :001: you done the real panels as well ?

Real panels..??

Smithy.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline Winger

  • XR God
  • *****
  • Posts: 2140
  • Country: gb
  • Town: Birmingham
Re: XR Plastics
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2019, 04:32:12 PM »
The two at the back either side of where the pillion sits last time I looked price wise they were really salty  :012:

Offline smithy

  • XR God
  • *****
  • Posts: 1070
  • Country: au
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Brisvegas.
Re: XR Plastics
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2019, 12:56:14 AM »
*Originally Posted by Winger [+]
The two at the back either side of where the pillion sits last time I looked price wise they were really salty  :012:

Ah, so "rear panels" I did wonder what you meant, nah not yet, too rich for me at the moment.....but I suspect I'll do them eventually.

Smithy.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline chip0704

  • XR Member
  • **
  • Posts: 25
  • Country: us
  • Bike: 2019 S1000XR
  • Town: Arizona
Re: XR Plastics
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2019, 08:27:15 PM »
The black plastic pieces really cheapen the look and feel of the bike.  The black plastic trim (or whatever you call it) around the radiator that runs down to the bellypan also seems to get nicked up very easily and the color is fading after 3 months, perhaps from washing too much.  What do others uses to keep it clean or have you replaced it with the pricey carbon fiber stuff?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 08:38:58 PM by chip0704 »

Online jfnz

  • XR Member
  • **
  • Posts: 75
  • Country: nz
  • Bike: 2019 BMW S1000XR
Re: XR Plastics
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2019, 09:49:09 PM »
*Originally Posted by chip0704 [+]
The black plastic pieces really cheapen the look and feel of the bike.  The black plastic trim (or whatever you call it) around the radiator that runs down to the bellypan also seems to get nicked up very easily and the color is fading after 3 months, perhaps from washing too much.  What do others uses to keep it clean or have you replaced it with the pricey carbon fiber stuff?

I use PERL on my plastics and rubbers, it keeps them moisturised and prevents fading.

https://www.carpro-us.com/interior/carpro-perl-500ml-17oz/

Any sort of product like that will help though -- maybe even ArmorAll, but it may not last very long.