Theme Select

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: Removing Pannier and top box locks  (Read 2028 times)

Offline CP78

• XR Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: S1000XR
Removing Pannier and top box locks
on: September 28, 2019, 07:23:26 PM
Evening folks,

I've just brought some second hand panniers and a top box (BMW ones).

They are open but I can't seem to get the lock barrels out.

Can anyone tell me how to do it? or send me a link showing me. I've tried the paperclip method with no luck!

Thanks.

Offline Markymark11

• XR Master
  • Town: Basingstoke
Re: Removing Pannier and top box locks
Reply #1 on: September 28, 2019, 10:13:49 PM
Where abouts are you ?- If you are down south then Bahnstormers of Alton did mine free of charge in under a minute - they went through a hole under one of the latches. I haven't got mine anymore so can't tell you which but they raised the latch up and used a long pin through a hole or a gap under it.
Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 10:14:44 PM by Markymark11

Offline RyanGTXR

• XR Pro
  • Bike: KTM 1290 GT
  • Town: Notts
Reply #2 on: September 29, 2019, 12:05:18 AM
Have you been trying the paperclip in the barrel or the paperclip down the screw hole method? I actually split the pannier to get the paperclip in (takes longer but easy) but it can be done by removing just one screw. Search for pannier lock removal on here, someone else asked last week I think it was and I linked a youtube vid

Offline CP78

• XR Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #3 on: September 29, 2019, 08:04:35 AM
Firstly thanks for the replies guys!

I have tried the paperclip down the screw hole method, can't seem to do it, I did try the barrel method also but I didn't want to push my look as the tool I was using was a little flimsy.

if all else fails I'll take a trip to Bahnstormers next week.

Which screw splits the panniers?

Thanks again for the advice!

Offline RyanGTXR

• XR Pro
  • Bike: KTM 1290 GT
  • Town: Notts
Reply #4 on: September 29, 2019, 10:38:57 AM
*Originally Posted by CP78 [+]
Firstly thanks for the replies guys!

I have tried the paperclip down the screw hole method, can't seem to do it, I did try the barrel method also but I didn't want to push my look as the tool I was using was a little flimsy.

if all else fails I'll take a trip to Bahnstormers next week.

Which screw splits the panniers?

Thanks again for the advice!

When you open the pannier, the screw (torx head) "above" the lock is the one to put the paperclip down, if as you say that isn't working, follow around the weather seal and remove all the torx head screws, about 8/9 if I remember right, plus 2/3 inside the box at the rear of the locking mechanism and the top (coloured) half along with the hinge should split from the rest of the box.

Offline CP78

• XR Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #5 on: September 29, 2019, 03:56:33 PM
Done it lads!

I used the piece of metal in the lock method! first one was a little fiddly but the 2nd and 3rd locks were simple and quick.

Thanks again for the advise!

Carl

Offline bagwafu

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR TE
  • Town: Somerset
Reply #6 on: March 19, 2021, 04:19:11 PM
*Originally Posted by Markymark11 [+]
Where abouts are you ?- If you are down south then Bahnstormers of Alton did mine free of charge in under a minute - they went through a hole under one of the latches. I haven't got mine anymore so can't tell you which but they raised the latch up and used a long pin through a hole or a gap under it.

Exactly this!  Just had mine done by Adam at Bahnstormer Alton.  He told me his trick, which is when the pannier is in the locked position with the key in, to gently lift up the release tab:

Then you'll see a small gap.

Then he uses a coat hangar to slide into the gap to push in the locking tab on the barrel.  I've recreated this with a skewer below but you get the idea:

As you press on the locking tab on the barrel you can pull the key out; by doing so with the key in the leafs or springs don't fall out. 

Hope this helps someone in the same situation.
2021 S1000XR TE

dysfunctional