Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: New XR confirmed for 2020  (Read 7565 times)

Offline Zippy

• XR Junior
  • Bike: K1300R
  • Town: Melbourne
Re: New XR confirmed for 2020
« Reply #110 on: November 08, 2019, 12:49:26 AM »
Whats the big deal with SHIFT CAM anyway? The new XR doesn't have shiftcam because it doesn't need it. That's a good thing. Why would you want the bike to be more complicated than it needs to be?

The RR is an awesome machine that never lacked in top-end power on track but there was room for improvement in ridability low-down and in the mid-range for on-road use. ShiftCam makes sense here.

Likewise the boxers, which are great road engines that had plenty of low-down grunt for off-road use and for loping along highways, but they tended to run out of steam when the pace picked up. Especially in comparison to the Ducati and KTM Vtwins. ShiftCam gives them the lungs to make more power at higher RPM. Another judicious application of shiftcam. 

The flexibility BMW were able to engineer into the S1000 engine just by adapting cam profiles and timing and retuning fuelling was/is why the XR is such a great all-round motorcycle. One which really, as far as i'm concerned, still doesn't have a direct rival. The new one is supposed to be a bit lighter, a bit more powerful and a bit more refined. Sounds awesome to me. I never felt my 2017 XR lacked power. If you think 165hp is not enough for you please let me know which race series you are competing in next season. I'll be sure to keep an eye out for you!

Sure, the new V4 Multistrada when/if it shows up will likely have more power, and people love a V4 (me included), but it'll cost at least 20% more. Will it be a 20% better bike? Doubtful. It will probably look better though.
I think the new XR looks awesome, and the fact they made what is essentially a superbike engine so flexible 4 years ago is just as impressive now as any ShiftCam tech I reckon.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 12:58:45 AM by Zippy »

Offline Doc

• XR Junior
  • Bike: 2019 S1000XR
  • Town: Beaverton
« Reply #111 on: November 08, 2019, 02:33:09 AM »
Sad to see the days of BMW's asymmetrical design going away.  Is it just me or does the new XR also look really chunky, especially in the side shots of it.
2019 S1000XR - Current
2003 SV1000 - Sold | 2014 DRZ400SM - Sold
2003 SV1000SF - Sold | 2010 Z1000 - Sold
2013 Ninja 650r - Sold | 1999 ZX6R - Sold

Online Mareng1

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Scotland
« Reply #112 on: November 08, 2019, 01:17:49 PM »
*Originally Posted by Doc [+]
Sad to see the days of BMW's asymmetrical design going away.  Is it just me or does the new XR also look really chunky, especially in the side shots of it.

I was sad to see the shift away from the dual-paddle indicator switches.    They are far more accessible than the LH unit.

Offline BigAl

• XR Member
  • Illegitimi non carborundum
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Braintree
« Reply #113 on: November 08, 2019, 04:57:15 PM »
I think when Ducati launch the V4 Multistrada then BMW will fit the shift cam, its just another way of stringing out models to tempt us all.

The V4 Muti will be an amazingly powerful machine, BMW wont let them muscle them out of the arena, trust me it will come soon enough.

Offline steveharleyuk

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR SE Sport
  • Town: gloucester
« Reply #114 on: November 08, 2019, 05:10:18 PM »
No V4 multistrada till 2021

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #115 on: November 11, 2019, 09:56:19 AM »
*Originally Posted by BigAl [+]
I think when Ducati launch the V4 Multistrada then BMW will fit the shift cam, its just another way of stringing out models to tempt us all.

The V4 Muti will be an amazingly powerful machine, BMW wont let them muscle them out of the arena, trust me it will come soon enough.

Have to say I don’t share your belief in BMW i’ve Currently got 3 and blimey since they came out of the woodwork and started selling to the main stream they are prone to dropping clangers both tech and marketing I will remain an interested spectator and looking forward to our day out at the NEC this coming Saturday.

Online PaulS1000XR

• XR Master
  • Few things in life are as perfect as my XR.
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Worcester, UK
« Reply #116 on: November 11, 2019, 05:29:12 PM »
Looking at the new XR positively - BMW has addressed many of the previous niggles which folk have commented on, and the new engine, although not a shift cam, should be better. Just want to know what the new pricing is and waiting for the cofigurator to be updated with the details of the new bike  :305:
PSH

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #117 on: November 11, 2019, 08:24:04 PM »
If BM stick to their normal mantra it’ll be same performance but a more sophisticated feel from the motor.

I had to spec mine but BM will stop that in time easier to sell a top spec bike and fill the showrooms.

Offline Thunderbird

• XR Junior
  • Bike: BMW S1000XR 2016
  • Town: Newcastle
« Reply #118 on: November 17, 2019, 04:04:33 PM »
Visited the NEC on Saturday 16th Nov for the Motorcycle Live show and headed straight to the BMW stand to take a look at the new S1000XR, my first impressions without test riding it can be summed up as below, ever since I took delivery of my 2016 MY I have been compiling a list of areas where I thought the XR could be improved.

1) Colour TFT Clocks - tick
2) Redesigned front fairing - (didn't like the duck beak - now they have made it worse)
3) Hill Hold - tick
4) Improved Screen Adjustment - tick
5) Clutch Level adjustable - tick
6) Integrated luggage fixing points - tick
7) Backlit switches - No
8) Longer Top gear - tick
9) Vibration resolved - TBC ?
10) Improved heated grips - TBC ?
11) LED and Cornering lights - tick

So as you can see most of my Wishlist has been incorporated as either standard or as an optional extra so why am I not convinced? and why will I not be handing a deposit over for 2nd quarter delivery within the UK, very simply put, I think after sitting on the bike it appears as though it has been developed more towards the sport side of the spectrum and away from the sport touring side which appeals to me, some of you may be suited by these changes but I think the balance between comfort and sport the current  mark 1 XR offers is just perfect, to elaborate my feelings, when first sitting on the bike it is obvious the handlebars have been narrowed to a noticeable extent, the seat pushes you forward into the tank with very little space for moving positions, the foot pegs seem slightly higher making the bend at the knee more acute, the mass of the tank is notably larger in front of you, these are maybe minor observations as a lot has been improved and developed but the jury is out until I have a test ride, as you may possibly detect I wasn't blown away to such an extent that I was hoping I would be, although my views are subjective they were common to views by others visiting the exhibition stand.

What have they done to that front fairing ?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2019, 08:42:25 PM by Thunderbird »

Online PaulS1000XR

• XR Master
  • Few things in life are as perfect as my XR.
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Worcester, UK
« Reply #119 on: November 18, 2019, 08:48:12 PM »
I see that the UK configurator is now on line for the new XR  :305:
PSH