Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: New bike dilemma  (Read 316 times)

Offline Yamahavmax1700carbon

• XR Junior
New bike dilemma
« on: November 08, 2019, 04:13:49 PM »
Hi all. Just registered as I've been thinking about getting a XR - currently have a Yamaha Vmax 1700 Carbon and a Yamaha MT10 SP
The Vmax just sits in the garage and I do about 1k a year on and my second bike is my main bike - I do about 8k a year but after recently doing a small tour with my wife on her Diavel we are both planning on buying BMWs next year she's getting a R1250R as it's got a low seat option as she's only 5ft 2. Me well I swap and change all the time - you name it I've had it lol, my MT10 is good but has crap fuel economy and I have to fill it up every 130 miles when touring so I'd like a bike that's an animal but can tour easily hence me fancying a XR

I'm going to NEC so will have a look at the new model and make my mind up anyway sorry for the long post - I live in Suffolk so if anyone wants a ride out when weather better I'd be up for it

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
Re: New bike dilemma
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2019, 05:07:28 PM »
Why Yamaha have sat on their hands for so long and not put the MT10 in a big Traillie i’ve No idea it’s a great engine re your dilemma i’d Include a serious look at a KTMGT as there’s at least two of us on here with both they are completely at different ends of the spectrum but come up with a similar end game.

• XR Junior
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2019, 05:10:07 PM »
I prefer a 4cyl bike and don't like the KTM at all it's all subjective though

Offline advr6

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Burlington
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2019, 06:42:59 PM »
Depending on how much horsepower you need the new F900XR may also be an option as it can be had with all the electronic options at a substantially lower price point...

Offline Becksy

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Warwickshire
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2019, 07:01:16 PM »
Doesn’t sound like a dilemma to me. Buy an XR!

Offline jakebake

• XR Member
  • Bike: s1000xr
  • Town: warwick
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2019, 07:09:19 PM »
Sounds like you have not ridden one yet ?  I have had lots of bikes in past but xr is the only one i have had that i never think of changing. Importantly for me, it does the slow twisty single track 2nd 3rd gear mountainous tracks as well as very much faster very smooth wider stuff  and is ultra comfortable. 24k on mine and the fit and finish is great, still looks like new with no corrosion anywhere.Only problem to date is 1no fork seal and a cam chain tensioner. I have the bmw extended warranty for peace of mind and it includes free breakdown which i recently used in ireland for a flat tyre. Go give the bike a test :008: :008: :008:

• XR Junior
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2019, 07:12:13 PM »
Will do when weather improves

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2019, 07:40:33 PM »
*Originally Posted by Yamahavmax1700carbon [+]
I prefer a 4cyl bike and don't like the KTM at all it's all subjective though

It is cuz the MT10 runs as a twin  :002: but in the literal sense I understand what you mean we’ll sort of  :001:

Offline runnerhiker

• XR Member
  • Bike: '19 S1000XR
  • Town: Niwot CO USA
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2019, 06:13:42 AM »
I have a 2019 XR and a 2016 R1200RS.  I've also recently had a Yamaha Tracer 900GT and a KtM Super Duke R.

The R1200RS has more HP than the S1000XR up to about 6000 or 7000 rpm's, then the RS dies around 8500 rpm and the XR just keeps going to 165 HP at 11k rpm.  I find the R1200RS boxer to be completely satisfying in HP on everyday road situations, whether it's 30 mph passes on the mountain canyon roads, or 70 mph passing on the Interstate highways.  But, (there is always a but), the RS engine doesn't seem to be happy past 7000 rpm, and the XR just feels stronger and smoother as the rpm's build up.

The clutch on the XR sucks.  The quick shifter on the XR is superb and salvages the ugly clutch.  The XR sits high, 33"

The KTM 1290 is a great engine, but you said you don't like twins, so much for that.  In every other way, it's a match for XR.  I had the Super Duke R and not the GT.  If I had had the GT, I might still have it.

The Yamaha Tracer 900 GT feels like a smaller, simpler, weaker XR.  They have many similarities in ergonomics and feel.  That 900 triple is a great motor, it feels very strong 90% of the time.  But not 100% of the time and I wanted 100%.  I traded in the Yamaha and the KTM for the XR and I am quite happy with my choice.

I find the Kawasaki 1000 Versys very interesting, but it's about 50 lbs heavier than the XR and I don't like its looks.

A Yamaha V-Max is on my bucket list, I wish we could trade bikes for a week!

dysfunctional