Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: headlight melted  (Read 3453 times)

Offline Hywel1965

• XR Junior
  • Bike: X-rays 1000 se
  • Town: Swansea
headlight melted
« on: November 11, 2019, 05:11:11 PM »
Hi All,I don't come on here often but wondered if anyone else has had an issue with the rhight side headlight.I have got a 2019 triple black  and only done 2000 miles.i went to start the bike and noticed the headlight had melted in the middle.I never seen anything like it before.Just went to loca;l BMW and they said it isn't covered and something must have coused it to melt. Any coment is welcome

Online PaulS1000XR

• XR God
  • Few things in life are as perfect as my XR.
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Worcester, UK
Re: headlight melted
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2019, 05:25:08 PM »
What the dealer said is rubbish if you have the OEM bulbs fitted. Go back again and contact BMW customer services. Had 3 XR's and have never had that problem  :305:
PSH

Offline JTL

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: England
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2019, 05:26:07 PM »
I would suggest the first thing to do is to remove the headlight bulbs and check that they are the standard BMW bulb and not a replacement  - some can operate at much higher temperature than the standard.

Offline Mareng1

• XR God
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Scotland
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2019, 05:40:07 PM »
Must be something to do with all that blackness? :028:

Offline Bree

• XR God
  • Bike: S1000XR
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2019, 07:41:29 PM »
I think you should go back and poke the Idiot at the dealer in both eyes.  As the bike will still be under warranty, then the onus is on them to show why it is not covered. It is not up to you to show why it is.
It obviously has a fault, and unless you changed the headlight bulbs, to none standard ones then it comes under warranty. I would also email BMW UK customer service and explain how disappointed you are with the dealers response..............................:041:
Keep us informed of the outcome...
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 07:42:55 PM by Bree »
Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.

Offline smithy

• XR God
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Brisvegas.
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2019, 08:15:45 PM »
*Originally Posted by Bree [+]
I think you should go back and poke the Idiot at the dealer in both eyes.  As the bike will still be under warranty, then the onus is on them to show why it is not covered. It is not up to you to show why it is.
It obviously has a fault, and unless you changed the headlight bulbs, to none standard ones then it comes under warranty. I would also email BMW UK customer service and explain how disappointed you are with the dealers response..............................:041:
Keep us informed of the outcome...

What Bree said...your dealer is an idiot.... :006:

Smithy.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2019, 08:20:41 PM »
Can the OP post a photo Be interested to see exactly what has melted it’s your problem now could be ours tomorrow.

Offline smithy

• XR God
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Brisvegas.
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2019, 08:58:44 PM »
*Originally Posted by Winger [+]
Can the OP post a photo Be interested to see exactly what has melted it’s your problem now could be ours tomorrow.

I've heard/read of a few with this issue on the bookface pages as well.....not too common, but enough to be a worry.

Smithy.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline Hywel1965

• XR Junior
  • Bike: X-rays 1000 se
  • Town: Swansea
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2019, 11:03:21 AM »
I will post picture later today,They have also suggested that something went on it  that was hot and melt it.I have been riding for 35 years and never seen this before.I bought it new and never changed bulbs.It was running for approx 20 mins.i always cover the tank and clocks and front of the bike with my oxford bike cover but not on back exhaust and engine as they are still hot.Ive got cats lol.ive done it this way all my life but this is what happened

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2019, 01:03:05 PM »
So what has actually melted the lens or the reflector inside?

dysfunctional