Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: headlight melted  (Read 3448 times)

DakotaXR and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Rede2fly

  • XR Junior
  • *
  • Posts: 5
  • Country: us
  • Bike: '16 S1000XR
  • Town: Sandy
Re: headlight melted
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2020, 09:25:32 PM »
I just purchased a 2016 XR w 3700 miles on it with the same problem.  Broken shards of glass lens on the bottom of the carrier and a white melted area on the focus point of the headlight.  I checked the bulb and it is indeed an H7 55w.

Offline smithy

  • XR God
  • *****
  • Posts: 1555
  • Country: au
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Brisvegas.
Re: headlight melted
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2020, 10:43:03 PM »
New headlamps are horrendously expensive for what is essentially a lump of plastic.

Smithy.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline Rede2fly

  • XR Junior
  • *
  • Posts: 5
  • Country: us
  • Bike: '16 S1000XR
  • Town: Sandy
Re: headlight melted
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2020, 10:59:59 PM »
In the States, it is $400 after taxes.  And what confidence is there that I won't have a repeat?  Has anyone determined if the new 2020 LED headlight units will fit the 15-19?



Offline smithy

  • XR God
  • *****
  • Posts: 1555
  • Country: au
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Brisvegas.
Re: headlight melted
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2020, 04:25:27 AM »
*Originally Posted by Rede2fly [+]
Has anyone determined if the new 2020 LED headlight units will fit the 15-19?

Not even close, completely different bike....15-19 headlamps are asymmetrical too. 

Smithy.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline PaulS1000XR

  • XR God
  • *****
  • Posts: 1015
  • Country: gb
  • Few things in life are as perfect as my XR.
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Worcester, UK
Re: headlight melted
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2020, 02:55:40 PM »
Unless you ride at night, as you have DLR, the headlights would not be on as during the day, only the DLR in the middle is on. If you have the OEM bulbs any melting is surely this is a matter for BMW?  :305:
PSH

Offline Crosshairs

  • XR Member
  • **
  • Posts: 29
  • Country: us
  • Bike: 2018 S1000XR
  • Town: Oceanport
Re: headlight melted
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2020, 03:27:28 PM »
*Originally Posted by PaulS1000XR [+]
Unless you ride at night, as you have DLR, the headlights would not be on as during the day, only the DLR in the middle is on. If you have the OEM bulbs any melting is surely this is a matter for BMW?  :305:
Your head  light is not on when the bike is running? mine  comes on when you start the bike.... so the low beam  is always on  ,there is no way to turn it off as this is the  law in the USA...

Offline Rede2fly

  • XR Junior
  • *
  • Posts: 5
  • Country: us
  • Bike: '16 S1000XR
  • Town: Sandy
Re: headlight melted
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2020, 03:45:23 PM »
Yes, in the US, all motorcycles are required to have a minimum of low beam lights on at all times, so as soon as the engine is started, the low beam (R) is illuminated.  The only way to turn it off would be to remove the bulb cap and disconnect the two-prong connector to the bulb itself. 
The shield does get warm to the touch, but I find it hard to believe that there is enough energy to melt the clear plastic with the focused lumens.  If it is unable to withstand the energy at rest, that would be a design failure of material selection.  You don't see auto headlights melted.
My production date is 01Aug2015, Production number-GZ462675

Offline PaulS1000XR

  • XR God
  • *****
  • Posts: 1015
  • Country: gb
  • Few things in life are as perfect as my XR.
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Worcester, UK
Re: headlight melted
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2020, 05:42:46 PM »
*Originally Posted by Rede2fly [+]
Yes, in the US, all motorcycles are required to have a minimum of low beam lights on at all times, so as soon as the engine is started, the low beam (R) is illuminated.  The only way to turn it off would be to remove the bulb cap and disconnect the two-prong connector to the bulb itself. 
The shield does get warm to the touch, but I find it hard to believe that there is enough energy to melt the clear plastic with the focused lumens.  If it is unable to withstand the energy at rest, that would be a design failure of material selection.  You don't see auto headlights melted.
My production date is 01Aug2015, Production number-GZ462675

Forgot - you cant have the central LED Daytime Running Light in the US for some reason  :305:
PSH

Offline Rede2fly

  • XR Junior
  • *
  • Posts: 5
  • Country: us
  • Bike: '16 S1000XR
  • Town: Sandy
Re: headlight melted
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2020, 05:51:40 PM »
I am not aware of that restriction.  My '17 GS has LED headlights and they run all the time.  High beam is LED as well.

Offline PaulS1000XR

  • XR God
  • *****
  • Posts: 1015
  • Country: gb
  • Few things in life are as perfect as my XR.
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Worcester, UK
Re: headlight melted
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2020, 09:37:10 AM »
*Originally Posted by Rede2fly [+]
I am not aware of that restriction.  My '17 GS has LED headlights and they run all the time.  High beam is LED as well.

Thought I read that the central DRL was not permitted in the US and you were required to have dipped headlight instead. Is that not the case?  :305:
PSH