Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: headlight melted  (Read 3951 times)

Offline jskene

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Baltimore, MD
Re: headlight melted
« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2020, 12:30:30 PM »
As for why BMW bikes in the US are not allowed to use the European LED turn signals, it's because they are too small. The federal requirements for turn signal size on motorcycles reads as follows:

From CFR FMVSS 108:
S5.1.1.25Each turn signal lamp on a motorcycle shall have an effective projected luminous lens area of not less than 2258 square mm. (3 1/2 square inches).

Standard 108, which deals with lamps installed by the manufacturer, is updated only occasionally and this clause no doubt dates back to the time in the past when only incandescent bulbs were available and their relatively low light output required a larger lamp area.

BMW appears not to have been aware of this requirement when they introduced their bikes to the US market with the European-legal LED signals a few years ago. These were much too small to pass and they had to recall every one and replace them with larger incandescent signals.

Fortunately, supplemental LED lamps that act as turn signals are available as are LED bulbs that can be retrofitted inside the larger housing for incandescent lamps. I have both on my bike, configured to also operate as amber DRL's and they make it much more visible to oncoming traffic - see photo.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 12:31:59 PM by jskene »

Offline Rede2fly

• XR Junior
  • Bike: '16 S1000XR
  • Town: Sandy
« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2020, 02:19:49 PM »
Thanks for the DOT reference.  Great post.
JW

Offline Dart289

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2020 S1000XR
  • Town: Lansdale
« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2020, 07:31:17 PM »
i don't think there's a minimum light requirement for the day time running lights in the usa but in a backward way there is. i have recently read over the motorcycle laws for my state (Pennsylvania) so i could see what lights could be added to the bike. in no way shape of forum dose it spell out minimum requirement for daylight running light, instead only specifies headlight must be on at all times. excluding motorcycles made before 1979 (i think). makes me feel special when i take out the 1977.  anyway so it only says headlight, but there are requirements for the headlight to pass inspection (yearly).
the kicker here is for all my years as a state inspection mechanic and going to a inspection mechanic i have NEVER seen someone measure headlight output. fun fact there is also a max out put.
"Rubber side" - Down

dysfunctional