Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Route Planning  (Read 5972 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline bagwafu

  • XR Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 180
  • Country: gb
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: South Central
Route Planning
« on: December 21, 2015, 10:20:01 PM »
After a tip on the US forum I found a great website for route planning - http://www.motogoloco.com - fully compatible with Garmin based GPS units (eg BMW Nav 5) - its really simple and easy to use, and downloads the routes direct to the GPS unit.

Today I planned 4 local routes and my trip to and around Spain next year, all in about 90 minutes and whilst learning to use it - its amazing, simple, and all the routes transferred across the Nav 5 easily and uncorrupted.

Just thought I'd pass this on - no more Basecamp bullshittery !!
S1000XR SE Sport

Offline RoadRunner

  • XR Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 107
  • Country: us
  • Bike: BMW S1000XR
  • Town: Peoria
Re: Route Planning
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2015, 02:32:10 AM »
Thanks for sharing this with the forum bagwafu.  I visited the site and tried some routing in the US and it is a very easy tool to use.  I will try to create a trip route to see how well it compares to similar tools I am familiar with.

Offline Marc-f

  • XR Junior
  • *
  • Posts: 6
  • Country: ch
  • Bike: S1000 RR/R/XR
  • Town: Geneva
Re: Route Planning
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2015, 07:40:00 PM »
Thanks, good tool. I'll try it !

Offline Muifke

  • XR Member
  • **
  • Posts: 24
  • Country: nl
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Echt (Holland)
Re: Route Planning
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2015, 07:25:28 AM »
Very easy tool, but when i import the route to my Nav 5 it's not the same route as i created on my pc :(

Offline bagwafu

  • XR Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 180
  • Country: gb
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: South Central
Re: Route Planning
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2015, 03:53:56 PM »
*Originally Posted by Muifke [+]
Very easy tool, but when i import the route to my Nav 5 it's not the same route as i created on my pc :(

Same thing happened to me with Basecamp !  Just add a few more waypoints in, takes a few seconds of right clicking, and you'll get the route you want.
S1000XR SE Sport

Offline gr8ridn

  • XR Member
  • **
  • Posts: 24
  • Country: us
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
  • Town: Wofford Heights
Re: Route Planning
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2015, 09:16:13 PM »
*Originally Posted by bagwafu [+]
Same thing happened to me with Basecamp !  Just add a few more waypoints in, takes a few seconds of right clicking, and you'll get the route you want.

This can happen when the map set used for planning isn't the same as the map set loaded into the GPS. When I update my maps I make sure both the GPS and Basecamp get the same map version. This way changes in the road routing and new roads will be seen by both the GPS in the field and Basecamp at home when I am planning a route. This system has worked flawlessly for everything from a day ride to several 4 week tours since I spent the time to learn Basecamp. I don't know how you can plan a route to be reliable if the planning map has different data than the GPS map. This is particularly true when planning extensive trips using secondary and local roads.
2014 BMW R1200 GSAW
2016 BMW S1000XR

Offline bagwafu

  • XR Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 180
  • Country: gb
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: South Central
Re: Route Planning
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2015, 10:37:48 PM »
*Originally Posted by gr8ridn [+]
This can happen when the map set used for planning isn't the same as the map set loaded into the GPS. When I update my maps I make sure both the GPS and Basecamp get the same map version. This way changes in the road routing and new roads will be seen by both the GPS in the field and Basecamp at home when I am planning a route. This system has worked flawlessly for everything from a day ride to several 4 week tours since I spent the time to learn Basecamp. I don't know how you can plan a route to be reliable if the planning map has different data than the GPS map. This is particularly true when planning extensive trips using secondary and local roads.

Must admit I had that trouble in Basecamp - slightly different map in the GPS. And of course this will happen in motogoloco unless you put lots of waypoints in.  To get the best out of Basecamp I guess you have to have used it for a while, because as a newbie to it I find it very frustrating!!
S1000XR SE Sport

Offline gr8ridn

  • XR Member
  • **
  • Posts: 24
  • Country: us
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
  • Town: Wofford Heights
Re: Route Planning
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2015, 10:52:59 PM »
I had to transition from Mapsource to Basecamp when Garmin stopped supporting Mapsource. Yes there was a learning curve and it was frustrating until things clicked and made sense. I attended a couple Basecamp seminars at rallies and that helped too. Now, while not an expert, I can write plans and transfer them to the GPS reliably.
Tip:
You have to understand the difference between way-points and shaping points to get the desired route planned and transferred to the GPS where it follows what you wanted. I also load tracks from the plan into the GPS. These are bomb proof if you mess something up while on an extended ride.
2014 BMW R1200 GSAW
2016 BMW S1000XR

Offline fgdriver

  • XR Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 166
  • Country: gb
  • Bike: S1000XR Red
  • Town: London
Re: Route Planning
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2015, 10:04:26 AM »
May sound like a heathen but I {Or should I say my wife uses Googlemaps} then translate to the Nav 5 used the same system with my Garmin 660 on my Trophy and yes a few errors occur but last time we did a tour there was 2 in 5000 miles.  They were both in cities in Europe one being Brussels old town. {Now that is a maze of cobbles and tarmac}.  A few tutorials on the web in youtube on how to do it but the new Basecamp does not let 1000's of point to be created when you transfer.  Also get the benefit of seeing the road in sat and street view if you need to tweak the route.

S.
As Always Ride Safe.

Offline bagwafu

  • XR Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 180
  • Country: gb
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: South Central
Re: Route Planning
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2015, 11:17:17 AM »
*Originally Posted by fgdriver [+]
May sound like a heathen but I {Or should I say my wife uses Googlemaps} then translate to the Nav 5 used the same system with my Garmin 660 on my Trophy and yes a few errors occur but last time we did a tour there was 2 in 5000 miles.  They were both in cities in Europe one being Brussels old town. {Now that is a maze of cobbles and tarmac}.  A few tutorials on the web in youtube on how to do it but the new Basecamp does not let 1000's of point to be created when you transfer.  Also get the benefit of seeing the road in sat and street view if you need to tweak the route.
S.

I tried that and couldn't get it to work.  I have heard other people using that method so it must be my numpty computer skills lol

Motogoloco does pretty much the same job (if you put loads of waypoints in) but takes away any numpty operator skills
S1000XR SE Sport