Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Motorcycle helmets ece 22.05 are approved for use in the USA?  (Read 577 times)

Online SimonUK

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR,S1000R
  • Town: Upstate, SC
Re: Motorcycle helmets ece 22.05 are approved for use in the USA?
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2019, 07:57:19 PM »
*Originally Posted by Mareng1 [+]
You’re going with your own bike insurance, so your helmet that met that insurance-requirement - will do.   I think if you were renting, and using an American policy - you would have to meet that requirement (Snell or whatever

Whilst there are 'requirements' here in the US, I am pretty sure that even the cheapest/shittiest full face helmet will offer more protection than all the piss-pots you see the majority of riders wearing(if they are wearing - I live in South Carolina where helmets are not required). Bottom line is that the helmet you are using in the UK should have no issues here.

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2019, 07:59:11 PM »
*Originally Posted by Bree [+]

Exactly nothing changes, your still talking a complete load of cobblers.  And LOL you claim you will not drive in the states, and then you claim you are going to Stick to a Fly / DRIVE. Lets be honest you are a complete Numpty.
At least reading your posts gives me a big laugh, so please continue to make yourself look stupid..... :169: :169:

And you ask if I can read when can’t even tell the difference between riding and driving......

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2019, 08:09:31 PM »
*Originally Posted by SimonUK [+]
I'll just throw my 2 cents in here as a Brit living in the US. Personally I would not 'filter' here in the US, and I try to avoid as much as possible riding in 'car' areas, these tend to be the major roads and arteries. Now having said that, once out cities and on to roads where bikes are happiest, there is no need to filter. I ride up in the mountains every weekend, and have not felt once (in the 10 years I have been here) that "I wish filtering was legal here".

@Winger, I here your reason, but I don't think that should in anyway stop someone form coming the the US and riding on some great roads.

unless all you want to do is tour around the cities, then a fully armoured car with air-con would be a better option. Road rage is a big thing here, people drive terribly, and there are Ulots of guns, but having said that, most people also just drive around the urban areas, which means the good biking roads are generally pretty empty, which is great for us!  :305:

Simon

I live in a big city if you can’t filter then there’s little point in owning a bike in fact in the last couple years the topic of conversation would be ‘I’ve just seen a biker sat in the traffic’  :156: the moment the traffic starts to slow and i’m Talking 50ish  i’m filtering never mind the the rights and wrongs that’s the they way it is and I thought i was half decent until I encountered the mob on the M25 :001:.

We were summoned to California for a wedding and met loads of bikers and went in plenty of bike shops and throughly enjoyed it but was more than happy to cruise around in a 5.0 Mustang and we’ll leave our riding in Europe.

No doubt Gaz is happy to do it just didn’t appeal to us.

Online SimonUK

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR,S1000R
  • Town: Upstate, SC
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2019, 09:33:04 PM »
*Originally Posted by Winger [+]
We were summoned to California for a wedding and met loads of bikers and went in plenty of bike shops and throughly enjoyed it but was more than happy to cruise around in a 5.0 Mustang and we’ll leave our riding in Europe.

No doubt Gaz is happy to do it just didn’t appeal to us.

My point was that Pretty much everywhere I want to ride a bike here does not rely on me being able to filter, and being unable to filter would not stop me from coming to the US to ride the roads over here.

Offline Bree

• XR God
  • Bike: S1000XR
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2019, 10:04:51 PM »
*Originally Posted by Winger [+]
And you ask if I can read when can’t even tell the difference between riding and driving......

:005: hahaha What has reading got to do with the difference between Riding / Driving.   :027:  And if you have driven in the USA you would know that unless you are in a major city, then there is absolutely no reason to need to filter...........But of course that is if you actually have ever been their. I think this post has been hijacked enough so best say no more. :164:
Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.

Offline Gazk

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000xr SE Sport
  • Town: Leicester
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2019, 12:49:40 PM »
Here's the thing, my Family live in rural North Carolina in fact so rural the last time they saw an English man they shouted the redcoats are coming :745:

Filtering is now going to be needed!

I've been going out to the US and driving since I was 17 I'm now 53 I have a good assessment on the driving standard, I've been stopped a few times for ermmm speeding like 60mph on a country road when it was 45mph :164: got a way with it just put my best Prince Charles voice on.

After over thirty years behind the bars, I’ve still not done it all or seen it all.

Offline Mareng1

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Scotland
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2019, 03:25:39 PM »
*Originally Posted by Gazk [+]
Here's the thing, my Family live in rural North Carolina in fact so rural the last time they saw an English man they shouted the redcoats are coming :745:

Filtering is now going to be needed!

I've been going out to the US and driving since I was 17 I'm now 53 I have a good assessment on the driving standard, I've been stopped a few times for ermmm speeding like 60mph on a country road when it was 45mph :164: got a way with it just put my best Prince Charles voice on.

As long as you don’t use your best Prince Andrew voice. :005:

Offline jokingjimmy

• XR Junior
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2019, 01:23:00 PM »
To answer your question, ECE and DOT - Department of Transportation have different conformity requirements so one stamp does not match the other. Here in the US, DOT is the standard, but you'll be ok. The biggest difference in the US vs EU is that most things here are "self-regulated" meaning that the DOT standard is recommended, but you can actually buy a helmet with zero safety standard conformity if you want. Police do not check standards conformity of your helmet.

The law (in some states) requires a helmet, but doesn't necessarily require then to be DOT certified. In fact, some states don't even have a helmet law, or at least don't require a normal adult Rider to wear one. My state (Commonwealth actually lol) Pennsylvania I can ride without a helmet legally.

If you get pulled over, what the police for sure will will ask for is driver's license with class M endorsement, proof of insurance. Some states (like PA) they will check your bike inspection tags. But they really don't give a damn about what safety standards your helmet meets. One note is if you have aftermarket exhaust, they can issue a ticket for that but in most cases it's no issue.

I will say that if you want to experience a long safe and fantastic ride, traveling across the US is hard to beat. You can take 3-4 full days and barely make it across our country. And if you want some control of the climate you can take a northern based trip (for cooler climate) or southern (for warmer). For example Texas in the summer the average high temperatures are in the sweltering 86°F (30°C) to 98°F (36.7°C) zone, while the average low temperatures are between 67°F (19.4°C) to 76°F (24.4°C). Wisconsin summers (Home of Harley Davidson and the giant bike museum) in contrast The average daily temperatures are in the 75°F (23.9°C) to 85°F (29.4°C) range statewide, while nights are comfortably warm in the 55°F (12.8°C) to 65°F (18.3°C) zone; temperatures may rise to 95°F (35°C) for a few days, but 100°F (37.8°C) is rare. (Copied from Google lol)

Desserts, mountains, prairies, lakes, oceans, all doable in a single trip. Stay away from big cities, and if you do go to them (like Chicago, New York, Los Angeles) just make sure to research dangerous areas to avoid and in New York City especially their local motorcycle ordinances. That City totally sucks to be a biker.

Oh and regarding traffic laws, other posters are correct, no filtering except California but in 95% of the cases, if you're riding here you won't even notice it since you're not actually going to be commuting. And being able to pass on the right, and generally ride 5-10 higher than the posted speed limits (or more some say lol)  is fantastic. For example a lot of the freeways you'll ride will have a posted limit of 65 or 70 mph but most people run around 75 - 80 mph. There aren't really any speed cameras, just traffic light cameras, although those are pretty rare and Waze will warn you where they are anyways.

Anyways good luck and safe riding!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 01:28:02 PM by jokingjimmy »