Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Newbie  (Read 472 times)

Offline mtanner68

• XR Junior
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Gatwick
« on: November 17, 2019, 07:53:56 PM »
Awaiting delivery of my second XR.  A stop gap until the new model next year.  Triple Black for me!
Gonna swap all my extras to the new bike and off load before the expensive 18k service.
Nothing else comes close having ridden most of the competitors.
Glad to sign-up and share.

Offline Firestick

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: North West uk
Re: Newbie
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2019, 08:20:04 PM »
Welcome!

I'm new too and wondering what you consider to be the competitors?

I've found many different responses to this.

Offline serge1966

• XR Pro
  • It's all good...
  • Town: Melbourne
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2019, 08:36:23 PM »
 :400: to the Forum mtanner... :305:
Life always offers you a second chance... it's called "Tomorrow"...

Offline gusthemus

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Melbourne
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2019, 10:52:15 PM »
Welcome mate! Enjoy the reading!  :002:

Offline PhilMill

• XR Member
  • Bike: '17 S1000XR
  • Town: Southampton
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2019, 08:21:28 AM »
Welcome mate, I'll be interested in seeing then new one in the flesh before I think about changing, I do like the current model.

Phil
Too many bikes, not enough time.....

Offline mtanner68

• XR Junior
  • Town: Gatwick
Competitors
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2019, 09:16:19 AM »
I am unable to find and alternative bike that suits my needs such as the XR does.  I have no inclination to go off road and I am too old to want a sports bike any longer.  Commuting, Weekend blasts and touring.
I still love the look of the off roaders and the exotica of the sporty machines.  Have owned Yamahas and Tigers but just cant get the XR outta my system!
As for competitors for the XR? Weirdly for me it would be the Yamaha Tracer or Tiger 800 and thirdly the Ducati 950.  Only these three for me, give the grin factor every time you ride them but also tick the boxes for road riding, thrill and comfort.  I could add the BWW R 1250 R Sport to the list if you can get on with the sheer size and lower power delivery.  The Tiger 1200 is just an unwieldly beast only good for long haul.
I would discount the M/S 1260 as it is a rampant beast and delivers three distinct bikes throughout the rev range rather than the smoother, controlled power delivery of the XR.  I will say the M/S is the best looker in the range but the price is a shocker.
Only gripe I have on the XR is the Clutch lever, tyre usage and service costs.  But all worth it!

Offline Asw63632004

• XR Pro
  • Bike: XR1000 se Black
  • Town: Swindon UK
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2019, 02:25:07 PM »
 :400: From a fellow Triple Black rider. I think you'll find the forum very useful .
I can't find anything that I think has the all round capabilities of the XR.
Used to have the Crosstourer Honda , found it got too heavy after a few years. Rode the Triumph Explorer in Spain recently. Have ridden GSs  . R1200r.  R1200rs. Nothing I would swap the XR for.  A mate had the Tracer900 ,but he couldn't even keep up with the Crosstourer.
He's now got ZX1000 , keeps up no problems!
Multi Strada I've not tried but keep looking ! Suspect that may be the only one that tempts me.
Cheers.Andy
Andy

Offline Firestick

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: North West uk
Re: Competitors
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2019, 06:09:48 PM »
Thanks for the detailed reply.

I agree, GS aside, I would say Ducati offer the best comparison, which is the other bike I considered before the XR I picked up a few weeks ago, coming off a GG Rallye I'd enjoyed for two years.

*Originally Posted by mtanner68 [+]
I am unable to find and alternative bike that suits my needs such as the XR does.  I have no inclination to go off road and I am too old to want a sports bike any longer.  Commuting, Weekend blasts and touring.
I still love the look of the off roaders and the exotica of the sporty machines.  Have owned Yamahas and Tigers but just cant get the XR outta my system!
As for competitors for the XR? Weirdly for me it would be the Yamaha Tracer or Tiger 800 and thirdly the Ducati 950.  Only these three for me, give the grin factor every time you ride them but also tick the boxes for road riding, thrill and comfort.  I could add the BWW R 1250 R Sport to the list if you can get on with the sheer size and lower power delivery.  The Tiger 1200 is just an unwieldly beast only good for long haul.
I would discount the M/S 1260 as it is a rampant beast and delivers three distinct bikes throughout the rev range rather than the smoother, controlled power delivery of the XR.  I will say the M/S is the best looker in the range but the price is a shocker.
Only gripe I have on the XR is the Clutch lever, tyre usage and service costs.  But all worth it!

Online otrp

• XR Master
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2019, 01:10:19 AM »
Welcome.   :002:

Offline Mcfly

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
  • Town: Melbourne FL
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2019, 01:55:43 AM »
Welcome!  The XR is da shiznit.

Not quite ready for prime time yet, but the Versys 1000 LT SE is moving into
the shadows. Suspension isn't nearly as refined, and it's a tad low on power,
but as a comfortable upright tourer, it's not too shabby.   

It'll be interesting to see where MaKaw goes with it.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 01:57:53 AM by Mcfly »

dysfunctional