Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Suspension Sag  (Read 1161 times)

Offline wascallyrabbit

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
  • Town: King George, VA
Re: Suspension Sag
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2019, 04:43:33 PM »
*Originally Posted by Winger [+]
It’s a shame really because the people I hold responsible is not BMW but the FIM if they hadn’t banned electric suspension in WSB and MotoGP it would have come on in leaps and bounds by now instead it’s barely progressed in 10 years,WP have moved the game a little but there is still a long way to go.

In your situation i’d Give Ted Porter a ring at the Beemershop and see what he can come up with.

Well that is definitely part of the problem the RR has a much more adjustable suspension and spring option than the XR.

I've talked to Beemshop about it and the time and cost that it would be to do anything would be about as much or a bit more than converting it to a full manual set up. Time wise it is way faster to go manual suspension. They have not done a low suspension XR so they would need the full forks to work from and basically measure and build a kit as they work through it. Very little is out there about the low suspension and its measurements. Like what is the spring length? Spring size? Spring rate? Are they actually different than the standard ones? The parts manuals list at least two different springs for the low but nobody know what the differences are. The standard suspension list several part numbers as well. Again what are the differences? No body seems to know.

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2019, 04:58:06 PM »
I have owned my non ESA K1200r Sport for 10 years and having seen similar posts by guys with just stock K’s it why I went for a non ESA X/R,having said that i’m Not out of the woods either,I put a Wilbers rear shock on this time last year and my past experience with Wilbers they are normally good to go but this one has taken some setting up to get right because they have done so few.

The stock non ESA front forks while adjustable are very harsh in the first 50% of travel and that is my next thing on the list to have them stripped out and some quality internals fitted by a company here in the UK call K-Tech.

The problem being even after nearly 5 years of the X/R there is still lots to learn the joys of being a guinea pig...... :001: so yep looks like you could be on the same learning curve.

Offline wascallyrabbit

• XR Member
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2019, 05:13:59 PM »
I am definitely the guinea pig when it comes to the XR at my dealer. Of the few that they service mine has the highest mileage and probably the hardest ridden on they see.

I've heard good things about K-tech. The wilbers seems to be a hit or miss from the folks I've talk to that have used them. Doesn't seem to be model dependent either.

If I do go to manual suspension I'll be going with GP Suspensions fork inserts for standard suspension and a Nitrion rear shock. Front and rear will be built to my specs (weight and riding style) and be fully adjustable.

With the numbers of issues I've had with this bike it is making it very difficult to justify keeping or at least spending the money on the suspension. But luckily all the major failures have been covered by warranty or BMW has stepped up and covered it. They covered more than $10K (usd) in repairs.

Offline Winger

• XR God
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2019, 05:42:30 PM »
Well I run 2 bikes with Wilbers and 2 with Ohlins and both have their plus’s,I looked at Nitron but the Wilbers importer is just a couple of miles away so they got the job and just to complicate things I didn’t want the preload on a long pipe and attached the the pillion foot peg where as mine is ontop of the shock

As you can see on here there’s a cross section of society but I keep my bikes years and a further complication the KTMGT I bought earlier this year even with upgraded software makes the bike feel odd at best but the irony either one/two up I can ride the wheels off it.

Offline wascallyrabbit

• XR Member
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2019, 06:04:41 PM »
I wish I had a suspension shop near by that would make things a lot easier. But alas I don't so everything would have to be ordered. The nitron rear shock has the preload adjuster mounted to the shock and not a remote adjuster. At least for the XR its shock mounted.

I normally drive the wheels off of whatever I buy. But this dam thing breaks all the time and not small easy cheap repairs either. Well at least it hasn't left me standing on the side of the road yet.

Offline Winger

• XR God
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2019, 06:48:26 PM »
I’ve just re-looked at the Nitron site and it brought back the dilemma i’d Forgotten about the only one with the piggy back preload is the Pro and the way they configure it I don’t think there is room on the X/R underneath.

Offline Winger

• XR God
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2019, 07:26:00 PM »

Even that wasn't straight forward as it was the first one they had ever done.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 07:26:44 PM by Winger »

Offline wascallyrabbit

• XR Member
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2020, 04:25:37 PM »
So BMW stepped up and replaced the fork springs. They still wouldn't tells what the sag spec was suppose to be. Raised the oil level 5mm when the new springs went in. Only gain 1mm of sag so pretty much sits where it was. Increased fork oil (or reduce air gap) does make the forks fells better and a bit harder to bottom out.

I'm done messing with the electronic crap suspension. Have ordered dongles to code out the error codes when I remove the factory suspension. Nirton pro is ordered as well as GP Suspension front cartridges and springs.