Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Face lift XR 2020  (Read 5849 times)

Offline serge1966

• XR Pro
  • It's all good...
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Melbourne
Re: Face lift XR 2020
« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2019, 09:51:54 PM »
 :152: thanks for posting. Some interesting information in that video...  :305:
Life always offers you a second chance... it's called "Tomorrow"...

Offline Salem

• XR Member
« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2019, 07:53:21 PM »
I'm not that easily convinced by that supposed engineering/marketing talk on the shift cam. BMW uses VANOS on petrol car engines since 1992? Double VANOS (intake and exhaust) since 1996? (dates from wikipedia). These engines rev far less than a XR.  And now XR rpm range is good for simple cams because only the RR needs it for higher rpm's? 

Offline runnerhiker

• XR Member
  • Bike: '19 S1000XR
  • Town: Niwot CO USA
« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2019, 10:41:36 PM »
I like the shift cam concept but I am holding final judgement until it has been in use a year or two.  The mechanical reliability of shift cam is totally new but its advantages are definitely better than other variable valve timing designs.  Time will tell, we'll see.

Offline esso_sa

• XR Member
  • Town: Sarajevo
« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2019, 07:50:04 AM »
*Originally Posted by Salem [+]
I'm not that easily convinced by that supposed engineering/marketing talk on the shift cam. BMW uses VANOS on petrol car engines since 1992? Double VANOS (intake and exhaust) since 1996? (dates from wikipedia). These engines rev far less than a XR.  And now XR rpm range is good for simple cams because only the RR needs it for higher rpm's?

Boxer in GS is also a "high reving" engine, so it really needs the shiftcam to deliver all that high revving power  :001:
« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 07:54:39 AM by esso_sa »

Offline Remo83

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR 3B
  • Town: Leuven
« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2019, 09:34:08 AM »
Hi,

we can all discuss till the world ends.
In the end, the proof of the pudding is in the eating.
I'll test drive it next year.
If I like it, I'll wait another year to buy it, so the bugs have been ironed out by the first users.
In the mean time, I'll enjoy my triple black some more  :305:.
It's certainly not perfect, but then again, what bike is, really? You need to be able to live with the flaws, that's all that matters.
It will have to be a big upgrade for me to part ex the triple black.

All the best,

Remo

« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 09:37:12 AM by Remo83 »

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2019, 03:22:34 PM »
Best piece of PR i’ve Seen in years if you don’t currently own an X/R then the new one will do,if one currently owns the now old model there’s another bike inside it if you want to make the effort by getting rid of god awful TUV fuel map and rubbish exhaust system.

The real interesting part was the change in 4/5/6th gears lowers revs??? But there’s no such thing as a free lunch!!! Particularly as it will still come with a TUV map.

Offline tjcool

• XR Member
  • Bike: bmw s1000xr 2018
  • Town: ottawa
« Reply #46 on: December 04, 2019, 05:16:47 PM »
the only thing I really dislike of my 2018 s1000xr is the bloody cat converter....I was thinking of having mine painted black..to not stand out so much but, like everything else it's too much trouble and expense...to do it properly one would have to remove the exhaust system and then paint it..heat treat it etc..whatever....still want to do it but..you know that old chestnut...not enough lolly $$$

tj
« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 05:17:21 PM by tjcool »

Offline smithy

• XR God
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Brisvegas.
« Reply #47 on: December 05, 2019, 12:07:49 AM »
*Originally Posted by runnerhiker [+]
I like the shift cam concept but I am holding final judgement until it has been in use a year or two.

Has been out for a year on the RR...but I think you'll be waiting a bit longer than a year or two for it to be introduced into the XR...I believe the new XR will never be getting the shift cam engine. It only comes in at 9k rpm on the RR anyway...how many XR owners ride around continuously at 9k rpm+..?? Very few I'd suggest.

Smithy.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline Mareng1

• XR Master
  • Town: Scotland
« Reply #48 on: December 05, 2019, 07:47:17 AM »
Will that not mean that they can optimise the power delivery below 9k and switch to different (original) cams for max power above 9k?

Offline Markymark11

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2018 MotorSport
  • Town: Basingstoke
« Reply #49 on: December 05, 2019, 07:53:37 AM »
Having now seen it in the flesh and listening to the video interview I have to agree with most of what was said. The main gripes over the past forum debates have been about the bar vibrations, the gearing at cruising speed, the lights and the ugly pannier frames. They are building a bike for a Global market to suit as many owners as possible and looking at what the majority of owners use it for. I think they have done exactly what everyone has asked for. The styling is a matter of taste just like the current model.

So what if it doesn't have shift cam - I for one don't care as long as it rides nice and goes fast enough for me to tour on in comfort and do the odd bit of fast riding. it hasn't got a V twin or an L twin or a single or any other configuration but no ones mentioning that - it is what it is and if it rides nice who cares what you are sitting on. :002: (you know what I mean)  :008:
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 07:54:44 AM by Markymark11 »