Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Chain and sprockets  (Read 3460 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline bazzer

  • XR Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 744
  • Country: gb
  • Town: Waterlooville
Re: Chain and sprockets
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2019, 02:45:12 PM »
The 5 bit tells you the pitch of the chain all 5xx chains have a pitch (distance between pins) of 15.8mm the 20,25 and 30 refer to the width of the chain (distance between the plates), 30 being the widest and strongest 20 being the smallest and lightest.




Offline tjcool

  • XR Member
  • **
  • Posts: 30
  • Country: ca
  • Bike: bmw s1000xr 2018
  • Town: ottawa
Re: Chain and sprockets
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2019, 03:04:37 PM »
*Originally Posted by bazzer [+]
The 5 bit tells you the pitch of the chain all 5xx chains have a pitch (distance between pins) of 15.8mm the 20,25 and 30 refer to the width of the chain (distance between the plates), 30 being the widest and strongest 20 being the smallest and lightest.

ok..this is interesting too....well I will have to find out the length of the chain and order one...I will be using same front sprocket (17??) and the 43T at rear...with new chain...this should be interesting to see how much the riding will change....I should really change the front too but there is only 12000kms on the bike...

tj

Offline bazzer

  • XR Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 744
  • Country: gb
  • Town: Waterlooville
Re: Chain and sprockets
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2019, 03:31:29 PM »
With 12K on the bike and if replacing chain and rear sprocket you really should do the front as well.

I think Bree runs a smaller rear sprocket? Its not for me but Its not like you can't go back to a 45T sprocket if you don't like it.

Offline tjcool

  • XR Member
  • **
  • Posts: 30
  • Country: ca
  • Bike: bmw s1000xr 2018
  • Town: ottawa
Re: Chain and sprockets
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2019, 03:46:47 PM »
*Originally Posted by bazzer [+]
With 12K on the bike and if replacing chain and rear sprocket you really should do the front as well.

I think Bree runs a smaller rear sprocket? Its not for me but Its not like you can't go back to a 45T sprocket if you don't like it.

yes, I should...and probably will...

Online smithy

  • XR God
  • *****
  • Posts: 1133
  • Country: au
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Brisvegas.
Re: Chain and sprockets
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2019, 07:52:48 PM »
*Originally Posted by tjcool [+]
ok..this is interesting too....well I will have to find out the length of the chain and order one...I will be using same front sprocket (17??) and the 43T at rear...with new chain...this should be interesting to see how much the riding will change....I should really change the front too but there is only 12000kms on the bike...tj

Stock chain for XR is 525 x 128 links, you can fit it a 128 chain with a 43t & 42t rear sprocket but there won't be much adjustment left at the rear axle, best to remove two links to get decent adjustment. I fitted a 42t rear 18 months ago and it works fine.

Stock front sprocket is 17t....not possible to go larger, they just don't fit .....you can't buy them anyway.

Smithy.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 07:56:10 PM by smithy »
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

 



dysfunctional