Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Fork oil change..?  (Read 286 times)

Offline smithy

• XR God
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Brisvegas.
Fork oil change..?
« on: November 28, 2019, 08:53:32 AM »
Hi all,
My XR is comimg up to 25k km shortly and I'm planning to change my fork oil but am a bit unsure of which weight oil to use. The "genuine BMW" fork oil doesn't have a weight rating on the bottle. Just curious if anyone knows what weight oil the XR comes with or what the genuine fork oil weight actually is? I have Motul 5w, 7.5w & 10w fork oils at home to use if necessary.

Smithy.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline ROSCOXR

• XR Junior
  • Bike: S1000XR SPORT SE
  • Town: SPALDING
Re: Fork oil change..?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2019, 09:06:17 AM »
Hi Smithy

I believe the fork oil is 5W. The BMW part number if it helps is 83 19 2 408 581, but not much info on it!

Cheers, Ross

Offline bazzer

• XR Master
  • Town: Waterlooville
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2019, 10:25:00 AM »
I did mine and just went and bought it from the local BMW dealer. To be honest I bought all the stuff for the service from then.

I then just took a pic of the mileage with the invoice and stapled it to it. So its some level of record its been serviced with OEM kit.

Its a pretty easy job by the way and I will do it more often now as it did make a difference.

Offline SimonUK

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR,S1000R
  • Town: Upstate, SC
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2019, 02:20:36 PM »
I thought stock was 7.5. I will add that I just replaced the springs(stiffer) with HyperPro and they sent oil with the springs - HyperPro 10w.

Offline smithy

• XR God
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Brisvegas.
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2019, 07:56:39 PM »
Thanks all, appreciate the feedback. l've had a look through "Marks" service manual and he specifies 7.5w as stock, so....7.5w it is.

Smithy.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline skapan

• XR Member
  • Bike: BMW S1000
  • Town: Toronto
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2019, 10:40:02 PM »
Just saw this, the correct oil is 11.5W for DDC XR bikes according to the BMW part number (They also call it "Type 2").  The "Type 1" oil is 7.5W, and is correct for S1000RR and R with DDC. Without DDC I dunno.  And if you're changing the fork seals, the legs do not just come apart as the service DVD states. You need to remove the retainer clip and gently extend the leg a few times as it drives the old seal and washers out with the bushings. Why they don't mention this I don't know. 

dysfunctional