Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Screens  (Read 4648 times)

Offline Watshot

• XR Pro
  • Bike: XR Sp SE
Re: Screens
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2020, 03:53:04 PM »
I use an MRA Vario and at 5'11'' I'm not looking through it, even in the higher position with the spoiler up (which my passenger prefers) it's only just starting to notice when dropping your eyeline.

I don't think most are designed to be looked through at riding speeds, the transparency is more for safety when low speed maneuvering.

Offline Remo83

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR 3B
  • Town: Leuven
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2020, 07:13:44 PM »
*Originally Posted by peterwbaker1100 [+]
Thanks Remo, very useful!  If you have used both Ermax & Puig could you please comment the eyeline height across the top of the screen (without the vario addition).  Namely is the Puig or Ermax taller to look over when in the same position.  The Puig is longer than the Ermax but also looks about the same height from the mounting holes to the top - if that makes sense.  Thanks again, Peter

Hi,

The puig is definitely higher, about 3-4 cm (1.5”).

All the best,

Remo

Offline jakebake

• XR Member
  • Bike: s1000xr
  • Town: warwick
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2020, 07:26:00 PM »
6’1 and the MRA touring screen did not stop the buffeting. MRA will do a ‘custom size ‘screen for another £80 and I ordered another one 100mm higher and 75mm wider and bingo it it’s the sweet spot . Tried the puig and wundelich large and they made it worse. As mentioned before , what works for one person may not work for another but worth it in the end when you find the correct one

Offline peterwbaker1100

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR W/B/R
  • Town: Stoke-Sub-Hamdon
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2020, 07:49:31 PM »
Thanks for the comments, these help me, time to try a Puig, even sweeter http://pyramid-plastics.co.uk appear to have a 10% Valentine Sale!  Who said bikes aren't romantic!! Peter

Offline klong

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2018 XR
  • Town: Port St Lucie
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2020, 12:20:05 AM »
This might help - I bought the Puig Touring and put the Puig small against it to see the difference

Offline MrFreeze

• XR Member
  • Bike: BMW S 1000 XR
  • Town: Amsterdam
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2020, 07:01:47 AM »
*Originally Posted by klong [+]
This might help - I bought the Puig Touring and put the Puig small against it to see the difference
Thanks Klong, this is super usefull.

I've just ordered the Puig Touring with visor, but now I regret the visor, so I'm going to call them to change the order. The thing is, a seperate visor, which you drill into the screen, was about 60euro ($65,-). A visor clip-on costst 95euro ($104,-). And the Touring + visor was only 135euro ($148,-). So that made me decide to order the whole thing. But now that I see your photo and the photo with visor on page 1 (see quote below), I really prefer without and rather pay a bit extra later for the seperate visor if the wind/turbulence still bothers me. I'm buying the touring screen specially against wind noise. Not to protect my body from wind. I'm suffering a little bit of tinitus and always wear earplugs...

*Originally Posted by BrutusTed [+]

« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 07:06:25 AM by MrFreeze »

Offline 1Scr4tch3r0

• XR Junior
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Sussex
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2020, 10:50:59 PM »
Hi, I am 6’4” and ride with a Shoei GT Air helmet.  I suffer with terrible buffeting with the stock screen.  I am looking to change and would appreciate any advice.  I see some recommend the Ermax screen.  Does this come ready to fit, our does it require drilling etc?  If so, is it easy or hard and does it come with a visor?
Really appreciate any help or advice.
The Puig touring screen is also on the radar.

Offline Remo83

• XR Pro
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2020, 08:07:36 AM »
Hi,

as written before in this thread, I use an Ermax with an extra Puig visor. This gives me, in combination with my AGV Sportmodular helmet in size large, decent wind protection and a stable ride at and above Autobahn speeds.
The Puig with visor has even better wind protection, but it's larger and my XR starts to wobble at about 110-120 mph.
As always, ymmv. It depends on your size, helmet, jacket, riding position, installed seat (I have the high HP seat) etc...
The Puig is easiest to fit as it uses the OEM fittings, the Ermax has an adapter that takes you about 10 minutes more to install, but no biggie and I have two left hands....
Finally, I had to fiddle around with my Puig, as the holes didn't quite match up with the original screen. Some gentle work with a round file solved that.
I don't know if the newer Puig screens still have this issue. It may have been a one off with the batch mine was made of.

All the best and keep it safe  :002:.

Remo
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 08:08:22 PM by Remo83 »

Offline peterwbaker1100

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR W/B/R
  • Town: Stoke-Sub-Hamdon
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2020, 08:26:40 AM »
Hi Remo83, I have a Puig touring screen that is just a little bit in my eye line on country roads...  so two questions if I may please!   

1) From research/surfing looks like the Ermax is a bit shorter than the Puig - what is your view having had both? 
2) Looking at the Ermax fitting instructions I downloaded it was not clear the quality of the adapter - is it good? 

Thanks, Peter

Offline Remo83

• XR Pro
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2020, 08:32:31 AM »
Hi Peter,

as stated before in this thread, the Ermax is about 3-4 cm lower.
I've been using the Ermax for about 3.000 miles now without any issues. I've checked the screws and the adapter last week and everything is still tight and structurally intact and I drive in Germany regularly (well, not lately...), so it gets strained at higher speeds.
The Ermax being a bit less wide means that you get a bit more wind on your shoulders, but it doesn't bother me, as the bike is more stable than with the Puig.
I have added the Puig visor to the Ermax, as I was getting a bit too much wind around the helmet, but I'm 6'4" with a long torso and I have the HP high seat installed, so your mileage may vary.

All the best,

Remo

« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 03:06:27 PM by Remo83 »