Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Cold Start Stall  (Read 295 times)

Offline Jinxed

• XR Junior
  • Bike: S1000XR
Cold Start Stall
« on: December 01, 2019, 05:54:35 PM »
Howdy,

Got a 2019 brand new XR. Around 100 miles on the clock.
Got out for a quick errand. So I turn the key to on, suit up, get on it and start it, 5 seconds later it stalls. Push the starter again, no issue.
No throttle, no clutch, bike was in neutral, idle looked normal. Temp sensor showed about 5 C.

Anyone else encounter this? Truth be told, this is the first 0 km bike I've owned, but I'm not sure if it's related?
Can't be intake hose, can't be tps, can't be low compression, or faulty water/oil sensors. Of course I assume that given its age and by using it in similar outside temps before.

Online Mareng1

• XR Master
  • Town: Scotland
Re: Cold Start Stall
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2019, 07:12:49 PM »
Air temp sensor?

No matter - take it back to dealer.

Offline Jinxed

• XR Junior
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2019, 08:10:20 PM »
If i'm not mistaken, an issue sourcing from the air temp sensor would make is stall more...consistently.

It's generally much better to understand what's happening with any possible issue you may be having, to avoid losing time off the bike / being forced to use a car if you have one, or, be a pedestrian.
Also losing a fair bit of money on misdiagnosed issues in the past with other bikes, made me adopt this view.
It'll definitely see a dealer once I get more info on this or if manifests too frequently.

Back on topic, cold start = minimal oil pressure for a few seconds until passages fill. The engine control senses an over rich condition brought by the cold start and slightly higher revs, and it instantly leans out the mixture and chop the throttle. Now, the engine has less than optimal oil pressure thus additional drag is present. Thus drag + lean + chopped throttle = stall I...guess? Thus when it's restarted the ECU adapts.

Will have to monitor revs more closely next cold start. Mainly wanted to see if someone else encountered this  :001:

Offline WildBill

• XR Junior
  • Town: Urbanna
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2019, 02:30:54 AM »
I was told to hold the clutch in, it signals the ECU for a cold start fueling..

Online smithy

• XR God
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Brisvegas.
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2019, 03:08:34 AM »
*Originally Posted by WildBill [+]
I was told to hold the clutch in, it signals the ECU for a cold start fueling..

Didn't know that..?? Where does it say that..??

Would the ECU not think the same holding the clutch in when the engine is hot then..??

Smithy.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline Jinxed

• XR Junior
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2019, 03:14:39 AM »
That's quite odd, but you might be right.

Just opened the manual and it indicates you should hold in the clutch on cold starts and at low temperatures.

Well, okay then... :033:

Online smithy

• XR God
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2019, 05:21:15 AM »
*Originally Posted by Jinxed [+]
That's quite odd, but you might be right.

Just opened the manual and it indicates you should hold in the clutch on cold starts and at low temperatures.

Well, okay then... :033:

I think that's just to disengaged the gearbox from the engine as the oil can be quite viscous/thick when cold....helps take the load off the starter I suspect..

Smithy.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline Markymark11

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2018 MotorSport
  • Town: Basingstoke
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2019, 07:54:57 AM »
I have always held the clutch in when starting any vehicle. Some bikes and cars like Triumph, Suzuki and Vauxhall Hyundai etc - won't start unless you do. It takes a tiny bit of strain off the engine and in the old days of "no side stand switch" it prevents the bike lurching forwards when you leave it in gear accidentally ! - it's not a bad practice to get into anyway.

Online smithy

• XR God
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2019, 07:48:46 PM »
*Originally Posted by Markymark11 [+]
I have always held the clutch in when starting any vehicle. Some bikes and cars like Triumph, Suzuki and Vauxhall Hyundai etc - won't start unless you do. It takes a tiny bit of strain off the engine and in the old days of "no side stand switch" it prevents the bike lurching forwards when you leave it in gear accidentally ! - it's not a bad practice to get into anyway.

Agree.....mind, on most bikes these days the starter won't activate whilst in gear without the clutch being pulled.

Smithy.