Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Extended warranty  (Read 315 times)

Offline wilbert

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2018 XR Sport SE
  • Town: Lancashire
Extended warranty
« on: December 04, 2019, 07:00:12 PM »
So my bike will be 2 years old in May and therefore out of warranty. If I get a BMW extended warranty roughly how much will it be and what will it cover? Will it be the same as the original 2 year warranty? I am also thinking of taking off the cat as its ugly and heavy, will this void the extended warranty?

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
Re: Extended warranty
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2019, 07:45:03 PM »
Blimey this is where it gets complicated.....

I have a K1200 that I have owned for 10 years 6 of which I ran on the extended warranty but in the end stopped it as I thought it wasn’t value for money.

The extended warranty while run through BMW is in actual fact a separate insurance company.

How much it costs depends on what cover you want ie repairs/recovery/how much you want to pay on each claim it can be zero to £100,blimey when I stopped mine in 16 I was paying £400 a year and that was without recovery/breakdown so god knows what it is now.

If it’s electrical they plug it into diagnostics if nothing is showing they won’t pay I’ve been there.....

So after all of that the simple answer with the X/R I haven’t bothered not the kind of horror the K bikes are/were you can get a lot of repairs done for £4/500 a year.

As for the headers... do it Arrow/Akrapovic fit a PC get it mapped you’ll be gob smacked at the difference I can ride mine like a twist and go scooter it’ll pull from 25mph two up in 6th with not the slightest hesitation try that on a stocker.

Online Mareng1

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Scotland
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2019, 09:13:22 PM »
Go to the site for BMW extended warranty, punch in your reg No, and see what they quote!

It’ll prob be around £380.

Let me know if you need me to do it for ya.   :087:

Offline Markymark11

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2018 MotorSport
  • Town: Basingstoke
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2019, 07:40:03 AM »
I checked it on my 2018 which expires next April so I could budget for it. For a 2019 with 5k it is £409 per annum. YMMV as I believe it varies slightly with age and mileage. - scroll to the bottom for a quote

https://www.bmwmotorradfinancialservices.co.uk/insurance/insured-warranty

Offline LeftCoastKen

• XR Junior
  • Bike: 2016 BMW S1000XR
  • Town: Victoria
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2019, 05:28:15 PM »
My dealer hear in Canada offers both the BMW factory extension and a third party extension.  Both are $2200 CDN for 3 years but the third party one offers a $1000 refund at the end of 3 years if there are no claims.  I have a 2016 XR that only had 28000 km on it when the original warranty expired.  As the first major service had not been done yet, I went with the third party extension for some piece of mind.  It is the Superior option in this link: http://iasal.ca/sites/default/files/7533%20ROC%20RPG%20Brochure_0.pdf

Offline jakebake

• XR Member
  • Bike: s1000xr
  • Town: warwick
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2019, 06:25:07 PM »
My view is for peace of mind , get one. Wingers experience of the motoradd policy is different to mine and the cover is not just for anything shown up by computer diagnostic. So far at 23k I have had……..

New cush drives as bike began to get jerky in slow traffic
New cam tensioner
New fork seals and oil
Bike puncture , Collection of bike from rural Ireland trip to a dealer 2hrs drive away in Ireland

The small print of the policy is very comprehensive and has no stupid clauses like ‘you are not covered if it happens on a Wednesday and its raining’ etc etc etc

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2019, 10:55:19 PM »
Maybe I should quantify it by saying with my 1200 I had 3 clutch’s and an ABS unit among other things but when the alternator went on the blink the diagnostics said it was good and in the end the bike let me down.

Certainly in the 4 years i’ve Had the X/R seen little to say they need fixing much.