Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Hello from England  (Read 1930 times)

Offline bazzer

• XR Master
  • Town: Waterlooville
Re: Hello from England
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2019, 01:42:17 PM »
I would probably keep the XR at least for a while, I would want a down blipper though, so that rules out a 2018 and I would not pay full price for the new one :-)

I should also give a Superduke a go as that could be an option.

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2019, 01:55:06 PM »
If you are keeping your X/R then then that is a different ball game,I wouldn’t be bothering about the blipper and as Ryan said the headlight on the 19 is even worse than the earlier bike,but don’t ride one unless your serious,I borrowed one off a mate for 3 weeks oddly enough not as good as the one I have now but just had to buy one as luck would have it I have an understanding wife is happy on the back of either.

Yes the Laguna bike is a bargain,just make sure you can find a dealer you are happy with,I went in loads of blow your tyres up and change the oil dealerships and wasn’t happy till I went in Redline their must be others as good.

Offline Winger

• XR God
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2019, 03:58:16 PM »
Bazza

If you decide to go that route include in a deal the aftermarket KTM seat the stocker is classic park bench and 19 model hand guards, the 17/18 don’t come with any.

Offline Stonesie

• XR Junior
  • Town: South Yorkshire
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2019, 08:55:30 PM »
Mine has the Powerparts seats with heating and Puig hand guards, but as stated the KTM reliability is a question mark.

The XR entered my mind again as I read a tale of woe on the KTM forum, on a bike just like mine, shortly after a battery replacement the electronics threw a fit and long story short, the battery has nothing to do with it but the dealer says it needs a new wiring loom, £1100 fitted thank you. :005:

I'm in a position where I can have one bike, and one that self destructs for no reason is not what I had in mind.

Offline Winger

• XR God
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2019, 09:55:47 PM »
I’ve also read that and no doubt Ryan has the trouble with the net it’s not what said but what isn’t!!! Changed the battery and fried the wiring loom!!! But yes I get your drift but at the same time their have been a few X/R’s which have had to have new camshafts but trying to look at the job as a whole i’d Have to say the odds are well in favour of the X/R.

Online RyanGTXR

• XR Pro
  • Bike: KTM 1290 GT
  • Town: Notts
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2019, 02:04:06 AM »
GT - ('16-'18) dodgy gearbox (mostly 5th gear), rear heel bearing, "MTC failure" for anything from sticking exhaust valve to fooked wiring loom
XR - ('15-'19) Ignition failure, fork seals, rear shock, cam shaft failure

The above are the most common issues you'll read on the internet, they both have some, but given the number of bikes out there (GT and XR) they are still uncommon in the grand scale of things. It's pure luck if you get a good 'un or a lemon.

Offline bazzer

• XR Master
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2019, 10:04:51 AM »
I have had ignition, fork seal and replaced rear shock (it didn't fail but was a bit baggy) Just camshafts for the full bingo then :-)

Also had a coil, left hand switch gear and battery fail.

Online RyanGTXR

• XR Pro
  • Bike: KTM 1290 GT
  • Town: Notts
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2019, 10:52:07 AM »
*Originally Posted by bazzer [+]
I have had ignition, fork seal and replaced rear shock (it didn't fail but was a bit baggy) Just camshafts for the full bingo then :-)

Also had a coil, left hand switch gear and battery fail.

Forgot about the dud batteries, another one for the XR :D That is probably the most common too . . . .

I've had 5th gear and rear wheel bearing replaced under warranty on my GT (although the bearing was more than likely down to rear wheel nut not torqued up fully, My mate had his ignition done on his XR
As I said, all bikes have faults and it's luck if you get them or not . . . . . . . .

Offline bazzer

• XR Master
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2019, 10:59:04 AM »
Other than that a great bike to go places on :-)

Offline Stonesie

• XR Junior
  • Town: South Yorkshire
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2019, 10:51:09 AM »
I've been reading on another forum about a guy who bought his S1000XR used, hit a pothole and that messed up something in the ESA, BMW loaned him a new 520D with lots of extras while his bike was being repaired, and updated him regularly on the progress which took longer than expected so they repeatedly offered him a loan bike instead. He ended up on a new F850GS for a few weeks..

He now has his XR back and it rides like new, keeps saying how brilliant it is and how BMW could not have treated him better.

Stark contrast to KTM who argued the toss about an oil temperature sensor when my bike was just at the end of it's warranty (it's built in to the filler neck and costs about £113) They eventually conceded that I had reported the fault within the warranty but because it couldn't be booked in and corrected before the warranty ran out, they would pay the labour and I would buy the part... Its still on the original, seems to be working okay most of the time.

dysfunctional